Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:36 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Meta » General META Discussion
"Bomb Threat" turns out to be hoax... discuss.
Moderators: imbri, ndemeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Rolerbe
Unfettered

I do agree that the culprits (and their lawyers) are revelling in the publicity too much with their "stick it to The Man" attitude. A little contrition on their part would have maintained and highlighted the stupidity and excessiveness of Boston's response. But acting like jerks blew it. My sympathy is gone.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:40 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
aliendial
Unfictologist

Their chances are better with "we were hired by an agency to do it, we're just poor dumb artists, how were we supposed to know?" That way they're just pawns and the responsible parties are elsewhere. But if they take a position that suggests they KNEW that it was a problem and didn't care, well just hop right back in to that frying pan, son.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:49 pm
TylerK
Boot

djsampson wrote:
Oh I can see the head lines now........ ARG causes mass panic in {insert city}........ Someone better tell the PMs of tCotSA to stop mailing suspicious packages. Shocked

I'm pretty sure the postal service is opening those in transit...the envelope was slit open at both ends on the last one.

IT MIGHT BE ANTHRAX YOU NEVER KNOW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:03 pm
mgelles
Decorated

Did anyone catch the article about the boston police issuing public statements against geocaching puzzlehunts http://www.thebostonchannel.com/bostonmarathon/10933834/detail.html

I thought this related to the discussion of authorities reacting to our past time. The reactions in such close physical proximity and date make me wonder if boston had some reason to be on alert for terrorist activity, given the the aqua teen case didn't cause such a robust reaction anywhere else
Michellehttp://www.thebostonchannel.com/bostonmarathon/10933834/detail.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:06 pm
aliendial
Unfictologist

Well it certainly makes the RW aspects of any game that much more challenging. How to leave a kloo or an "artifact" somewhere that perfect strangers can find it but no muggle would think it was a bomb? Or an alien invasion.

I recall a game where the PMs wanted to leave a disk with info about a character (fake, including photoshopped ID, stuff like that) in a public park and how they worried the issue until they decided to leave it for a day and then recover it if no one showed up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:20 pm
RedHatty
Unfictologist

After reading that article, all I can say is POOR job for the GPS hiders. I am an avid GPS cacher & it is common practice to leave the caches as unnoticable as possible, taping to an electrical panel or a bridge is not good form.

I have to say, too many bad form actions all at once may make things very difficult in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:06 pm
Trace
Veteran

I think it was funny a whole bunh of old people went crazy because a lifesized milkshake made of neon was under a bridge,, i think these people are ridiculus, this would not have happened if it were popeye, or tom and jerry, or mickey mouse.

i dont watch cartoons, not since i was like 13, and im 18 now, and i know what it is, these boston idiots need ot turn on a tv

TRACE 8 PI ON THE CASE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:04 pm
JohnnyCon7
Decorated

I watched the whole thing unfold and it was completely absurd, the "suspicious device" that was found on the comic store was actually called in by the owner to the police non-emergency line. She said she called in and explained to them what it was a little after one o'clock. She explained to them it wasn't dangerous at all, and she had it up on her store for about two weeks. At three o'clock WBCN, and the local FOX station were reporting that the devices were harmless and characters from ATHF. The mayor said they had no idea until five o'clock. They realized how much chaos they had caused and just kept the whole charade going because they already had so much egg on their face they couldn't turn back.

The press conference might have been unwise, but I found it hysterical. I thought it was a satire on the way the Bush Administration refuses to talk about "ongoing investigations" and they "won't point fingers". It'll be very hard to convict them though, since they're being charged with placing a hoax device that results in panic and disorderly conduct. That means the prosecution has to prove that they purposely placed the devices to look like bombs and create a bomb scare. Of course logic tells you that if want to hide a bomb in a dark secluded area you wouldnt't put bright lights on it to catch people's attention. My favorite quote from that article is
Quote:
"It's almost too easy to be a terrorist these days," said Jennifer Mason, 26. "You stick a box on a corner and you can shut down a city."

Turner Inc. has aggreed to pay $2 million to Boston. So all the people I heard justifying their "outrage" by saying it cost the tax payers money have no qualms anymore. What people should be really concerned with is (if you believe the state and these really were bomb-like devices) why did it take so long to find them? Two to three weeks is a pretty slow response time. And, if we're really supposed to be "winning the war against terror" then why is it so easy to completely terrify, and immobilize a city.

To me it wasn't terrifying or immobilizing, it was embarrassing and inconveniencing. Theres a huge gap between pretty much anyone under 40 and everyone over 40. People my age find the situation a mockery, and comical, while a lot of older people I've talked to either don't get it or actually believe that these kids' whole marketing ploy was to create this bomb scare or just don't get it at all. I actually got the idea for my avatar from a t-shirt that a friend got at a punk rock show downtown. If it offends anyone let me know and I'll either edit or change it.

The reality is that even though I love Boston (and it pains me to admit this), we don't have a large enough populace, or anything important enough on a world/countrywide scale to be terrorist targets. This is the perfect example of a post-911 overreaction, and everyone needs to chill out before we all become a nation of agoraphobics.

Sorry if that was a bit too much, but I feel pretty strongly about this topic.
BTW found this hysterical (warning: adult language) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8oUjBy5uhU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:32 pm
thebruce
Dances With Wikis

OTOH, if you were a terrorist, or even someone simply with some drastic, dramatic point to make, after events like this where people are up in arms about how harmless something like this really is, then what better way then to 'hide' a weapon? It's like a thief going back to the scene of a crime, the last place he'd be looked for... or the boy crying wolf - eventually people won't pay attention to the cry and a real wolf would be all clear...

Just playing devil's advocate, spurring conversation Smile

It's funny because the more we say things along the lines of 'if you really wanted to hide a bomb, you wouldn't put bright lights on it', well, would you really? If you knew people wouldn't be as alarmed by seeing something with bright lights and just pass it off as decoration, not knowing what lies underneath?

I think that's the point that some of these authorities are trying to make - while the methodology was harmless, one can't simply say that people worried about it are wrong or paranoid - from their perspective, how would they know? As mentioned, if the authorities knew that it was harmless before people got freaked out, this whole mess could have been avoided.
The objects were placed semi-covertly, with an offensive (ymmv) message, in a time when tensions are higher, when paranoia abounds, where there's a big cultural difference between the tech savvy and layperson, let alone the young and old; and you have to admit that with the influx of 'viral' deployment of messages, subversive media, a purposeful goal of being mysterious and shocking in many aspects of advertising to enhance word of mouth - the doors have been opened for potentially harmful actions disguised as innocent things.

Now how we deal with that really is where the controversy lies Smile.
So aside from that, can you blame people (who aren't on the same plane) for being worried and upset? The more you say yes, the easier it'll be for that sentiment to be taken advantage of for the worse; wolf in sheep's clothing, as it were.

What better place to hide something than in plain sight, after people have said not worry about things in plain sight.

Man, I really didn't mean this post to feel very doom-saying Razz. And I'm not saying we need to be paranoid and over-protective of every possible thing that could be misused. Just trying to understand from the perspective of Boston, as it were Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:17 am
Rolerbe
Unfettered

thebruce wrote:
OTOH, if you were a terrorist, or even someone simply with some drastic, dramatic point to make, after events like this where people are up in arms about how harmless something like this really is, then what better way then to 'hide' a weapon? It's like a thief going back to the scene of a crime, the last place he'd be looked for... or the boy crying wolf - eventually people won't pay attention to the cry and a real wolf would be all clear...

What better place to hide something than in plain sight, after people have said not worry about things in plain sight.

OTOOH (or OT3H: On The 3rd Hand... Smile ) If you are going to use the hide in plain site tactic, why make it look unusual at all? E.g. make it look like something that already belongs there -- a wall poster, a trash can, an electrical junction box, etc., etc. I think our primary protection from terrorism is that they are a very small fraction of the total population and are, thankfully, generally stupid (or perhaps to be more precise, not very clever).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:35 am
thebruce
Dances With Wikis

Though in theory, the more we discuss 'why do this or that if you want to be successful?' we in essence give more reason to do that to be successful, because we're giving more reason not to worry about it.
I like how in some recent war-related movies, we see the 'enemies' watching (North-)American TV. How best to know know your enemy...

The 'hide in plain sight' tactic is the whole idea of moles, spies, and sleeper cells and such. When people are willing to live their lives as 'another person' to be called on at any time to action when everyone around them trusts them (whether it's people or objects, in practice) that's an effective strategy these days, and that's why this whole terrorism thing is so controversial. How do we deal with it? Over-protect? Or under-protect? Or some middle ground? Ultimately, that's the goal of terrorism. Whether there's actual harm or damage done directly is an addition... But get people working against themselves, and it does its work for you. Essentially that's the same thought process (generally) of viral marketing.
And now we see in Boston people scared of the unknown, as well as people on the other side basically saying they're dumb for being scared. And terrorists weren't even involved!

And no, ARGS != terrorism Razz just to clear that up... hehe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:41 am
Phaedra
Lurker v2.0

Speaking of viral marketing gone bad...

World Champion: Cruel 2B Kind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:29 pm
konamouse
Official uF Dietitian

http://www.nationallampoon.com/?p=44

Only Jack Bauer can take control of the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:23 am
bwochinski
Decorated

Rolerbe wrote:
If you are going to use the hide in plain site tactic, why make it look unusual at all? E.g. make it look like something that already belongs there -- a wall poster, a trash can, an electrical junction box, etc., etc.

Don't worry, they have that covered....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:27 pm
Cabbage
Unfettered

A kind of similar story occurred in Cambridgeshire in the UK yesterday though without any pyrotechnics:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_6430000/newsid_6438800/6438851.stm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:48 pm
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Meta » General META Discussion
Jump to: