Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Low-Volume Games
[LOCKED] [WI][TRAILHEAD] The Wyoming Incident
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 40 [596 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 38, 39, 40  Next
XyzzySqrl
Boot

[WI][TRAILHEAD] The Wyoming Incident

http://tinyurl.com/3ygmoe

While browsing over on google video, a friend found this. Now, we've heard of the Max Headroom TV hacking incident, but that was pretty obviously just some kid screwing around, and it's been well-documented.

But this? I dunno what this is. Does anyone else? Wikipedia and Google can find NOTHING else on this thing. I'm just curious, and it struck me as ARG-esqe so I came here to post about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:12 pm
 ICQ Number 
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Esteed
Entrenched

Okay, definitely a little creepy. I don't have a quality audio editing program, but maybe some of those clicks and pops are something more than just strange sound effects? Also, did it look to anyone else as if the first face seen (the one you could only see half of) was an actual person, rather than a computer model like the head at the end of the video? It could just be a stupid prank thing, but it does also give me a "revelation" vibe, so who knows, maybe it is an ARG. I'll keep digging, see what I can find out.

EDIT: On a second look, I can't tell if that head at the end of the video is a computer model or not. Either way, I don't recognize the face as belonging to anybody famous.

Son of EDIT: Upon checking up on the Max Headroom incident (I was only one at the time, so I didn't actually know about it, lol) the phrase "you will see such pretty things" does not appear to be one of the things he said during the second hijacking.
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."" -Rorschach

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:17 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thebruce
Dances With Wikis

Feel eerily like The Ring video...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:32 pm
Esteed
Entrenched

Well, if I see any creepy, spider-walking girls come crawling out of my computer, I'll be sure to post before I die in screaming agony. Laughing

Seriously though, I went and watched the second broadcast of the Max Headroom incident (the one with audio) on Youtube. Definitely does seem like a kid messing around, but it had to be one of the strangest attempts at a prank I've ever seen. The mask doesn't look like either of the faces seen in this video, so I'm not sure if they are at all related or not. I'd vote for not at the moment.
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."" -Rorschach

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XyzzySqrl
Boot

Esteed wrote:

The mask doesn't look like either of the faces seen in this video, so I'm not sure if they are at all related or not. I'd vote for not at the moment.

I dunno. I think they're related mostly in that the text next to the Pretty Things video mentions the Headroom incident.

Aside from that, I've found NOTHING anywhere on the net, which is kinda grating. If this is a big thing in Wyoming... shouldn't there be, like, a newspaper mention, or... something? The only thing I could find was a mention of this video on Google Groups, but that didn't look important/interesting, so I didn't post that too

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:45 pm
 ICQ Number 
Esteed
Entrenched

Well, the Headroom guy was never caught, and his motives were never really determined. I think by this point it's pretty clear that it was a kid messing around, but the lack of any real solid evidence for who it was and why he/she/they were doing it could open up the floor for ARG concepts. Maybe this is based off an idea that the Headroom thing was more than just some prank? I dunno.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:50 pm
thebruce
Dances With Wikis

That's my vote. Another ARG expanding on a real life incident/legend/etc...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:54 pm
Full_Metul

*shrugs* i looked around a bit and found this http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/57961
dunno if it will be of any help to you guys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:02 pm
djsampson
Unfettered

Well, I can't find any other referance to his so called incodent. So mabe ARG, on the other hand the video looks to have been posted August of last year. So if it is an ARG the PM must be pretty patient. So Who knows? I'll try and decompile the flash see if I get anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:06 pm
Kain211
Decorated

I dont have sound right now so I only watched it but holy crap that scared me o.o And the two faces, the first one with just half makes me think of a doll, but the second one looks kinda like one of those skin mask things to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:34 pm
Pie-ro
Veteran

Whats the Headroom incident? Can someone explain that to me please?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:56 am
degravedi
Unfictologist

You can read about it here Smile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_Pirating_Incident

Edit: Ha! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_signal_intrusion That page has gained talk about the Wyoming Incident but it was added Jan 27th and only because an anonymous poster had asked about it on the discussions page.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:24 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 ICQ Number 
Lyrainthedark
Greenhorn

I found this on you tube this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K21YdhuxjlM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:41 am
thebruce
Dances With Wikis

interesting....

two different videos now, the start of a series most likely.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:18 am
Draco
Veteran

Thats funny, I don't feel ill at all......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:36 pm
Page 1 of 40 [596 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 38, 39, 40  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Low-Volume Games
Jump to: