Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

The Black Watchmen Game and Comic Book!

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:13 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Updates » Press and Other Analysis
Article on ARG
Moderators: krystyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Simulacra
Veteran

Article on ARG

I'm currently writing an article about ARG for a swedish magazine and would like you to send me your best clues to ARG-related information (about past games, essays, articles, editorials etc.)

I'm also interested in interviewing ARGers, preferably from Sweden. I'm from Stockholm, but an e-mail interview might also work out fine.

Now, contact me!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:20 pm
Reply with quote Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

Well, at the top of the ARG hall of fame is The Beast, which was the promotional webgame for Spielberg's AI: Artificial Intelligence. The folks at Cloudmakers did an excellent job of documenting everything, and all of the game sites are currently archived there. You can get a great feel for things if you browse through those sites, and read The Guide, which is a linear walkthrough of the game. They also have links to the dozens of articles that were written about it.

As far as the history of ARGs, SpaceBass has a good timeline of sorts that he's posted at Unfiction in the history section.

As far as memory serves, highlights of games include (in general order):

Ravenwatchers - the first clumsy attempt at a grass-roots arg, or just a hoax, we're not sure. It melted down on itself.
    Plexata - A cool game with a flash-based "widget" that really showed promise, but had to suspend due to lack of sponsorship.
    Majestic - The first attempt at a commercial ARG, by Electronic Arts. Again, so much potential, but too much linear game play and easy, easy puzzles doomed this game to premature cancellation. The project lead blamed 9/11 on Majestic's demise, but we know better. Wink
    LockJaw - Highly anticipated game produced by a team of Cloudmakers. This game was my personal favorite, and is the only other game to date to successfully capture the feel and rhythm of The Beast. There was also good documentation to this game.
    Alias - ABC television was the first to jump into the fray with a well-received ARG in association with it's television series Alias.

Others that come to mind, in no particular order: Change Agents Out of Control, Exocog, Codename Constellation, Second State (search4e), Push NV, SDX. Only a handful of these came to succesful conclusion. More current games are easily found here on these forums.

If you browse the [urlhttp://www.argn.com/forumsframe.htm]ARGN Forum archive[/url], you can get a good feel for where things were a year ago, when momentum was building for these kind of things.

Some recommended articles for background:

Technophilia
Wired Article previewing LockJaw
New York Times article by Charles Herold

Anyway, hope this helps. If anyone thinks of an ARG I've forgotten, post it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Simulacra
Veteran

Thanks!

Thank's a lot for the awesome feedback. This is really useful for me and potentially for the ARG movement since I'm writing for the national gaming (not gambling) organisation in Sweden who are known to pour well-needed funding into grass-root projects. But they don't know just how cool ARG is... yet.

Ok, I think I have a good idea about past ARGs, but I'm really curious if anyone knows more about any in-depth articles such as this: http://www.geocities.com/quantum_jane/immersive_gaming.html

I'm also looking for people to interview during the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:25 pm
Ozy_y2k
Unfettered

I am looking for the thoughts and experiences of females that have
been involved in this phenomenon for an article that I am writing.
The article is about women and girls and the online gaming
experience and will be published in the February edition of an
online magazine(so the deadline is quickly approaching). If you are
interested, please contact me at notado.....

umm, whoops, never mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:32 pm
Simulacra
Veteran

I'm mostly interested in the academic stuff. The press mentions are often not too interesting. But thanks anyway!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:09 pm
Simulacra
Veteran

Good stuff

You have a good collection of articles, even though most of them are about gaming and interaction in general. I'm curious about what's really unique in ARG: the immersion. That's maybe an interesting subject for writers like me.

Thank you for a great resource.

If I may suggest additions, I'd like to recommend Play is political by Johan Söderberg and also the Immediatism manifesto by Hakim Bey. Both have been published in the Interacting Arts magazine. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:41 am
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Updates » Press and Other Analysis
Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum