Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:38 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Ny Takma
[PUZZLE] /curiosity is full of rue, maybe
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
molecularr
Unfettered

[PUZZLE] /curiosity is full of rue, maybe

I started this in the general "site after update" thread, but the more I think about this, the more convinced I am that it's a puzzle. I'm going to go out on a limb here and start a thread on it. If it goes nowhere, that's fine, but I want to stay with it for now.

My original post was here.

And here's what I said:

I wrote:
I've been having another look at http://746865656e64.com/curiosity, and I think I may be onto something. Unfortunately, I'm going to need some help to decode it all the way, if indeed this is something decodable. Stay with me on this ...

First, take a look at /itbegins_12.gif (the picture of a kid with what looks like fire in the background) in a text editor. (If you open an image in firefox in a window by itself, and then go to View -> Source, you get the same information as if you saved it to a desktop and opened it in notepad.)

Now, in the first line of itbegins_12.gif, you'll see the letters "CFP", which ROT-15 to RUE. Could be a coincidence, but look at itbegins_06.gif, the first line contains the letters "EHF" which ROT-13 to RUE. In itbegins_31.gif, you'll find the first line contains the letters HKU which ROT-10 to RUE. _31.gif also contains CFP (ROT-15).

I think there are more, but you get the idea. There are also several rotations for one-letter off of RUE, like QUE or RUF.

I could still write this off as coincidence, but take a look at /images/bg.gif. There you'll see that the first line is massive, and contains several tantalizing strings of characters. The first I noticed is HKUJMWLOY. Take each group of three letters (HKU, JMW, LOY), and run them through ROT-X. You'll see that RUE shows up at ROT 10, 8, and 6 respectively.

Then there's CFQEHSDGRGJUFITHKVJMX. Doesn't look like much, but put it in ROT-X and you'll see some interesting patterns. Basically, if you divide it up into groups of three letters, you'll see that they're all ROT-X's of each other (or the same word, however you look at it). Unfortunately, the only candidates for real words that I see among the rotations are orc, ado, psd (photoshop file extension) and ruf (almost RUE). So I'm not sure what the original word might be or where that gets us.

Through various other rotations, I've found the word SWIM and UFO, but the way I found those wasn't consistent with anything else. Just wanted to mention them in the interest of completeness.

Beyond that, there's the plaintext (i.e. not rotated) AIFIREHQ@CKILUCHTGLXY, which might be something like "AI Fire Headquarters At [something] Galaxy." Whatever.

So I'm convinced there's a message there either in the page as a whole (i.e. by accumulating bits and pieces from several image files) or just in bg.gif. I'm kind of going cross-eyed looking at this, so hopefully someone else can connect the dots -- or maybe someone can convince me it's all just a coincidence of the GIF encoding.

In the followup, Zazaban suggested checking the non-flash version of the site for similar patterns, and I suspected and Caterpillar confirmed that "ado" might be a relevant key for one chunk because it was featured on the list of synonyms for "confusion" appearing on /u.html.

In the meantime, I've been experimenting with Vigenere stuff, since the repeating, rotating pattern seems to suggest that, but I couldn't uncover anything. Basically, I'm not sure what to use as a cipher text. If you run "CNCFQEHSDGRGJUFITHKVJMXPS" through a vigenere decoder with "doa" as the key (that's "ado" shifted to line up with the pattern), you get "ZZCCCEEEDDDGGGFFFHHHJJJPP." That doesn't mean much to me except to confirm the pattern that's in there. Rotating "zcedgfhjp", or reversing the encoding and rotating that doesn't get anywhere.

I know I don't have an answer yet, but I really think there's something here and I hope that by listing what I've tried, it'll jog someone else's creativity into figuring it out.

So do you all think this looks like a puzzle, or not? Have you seen something like this before?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:33 am
 ICQ Number 
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Sylvia
I Have No Life

Rue? Let's Attempt to Understand It

molecularr, you may be on to something there but for the life of me I can't make a hill of beans out of it. So sorry, but I can't be of any help on this front.

But since you labeled this thread "/curiosity is full of rue", I thought it would be a good place to attmept to understand rue as it says on this image.

So what does Rue mean? Well:
rue. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1). Retrieved October 25, 2006, from
Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rue

There is rue 1 and rue 2 but since rue 2 is a plant i want be talking about it here as i feel it's not related.

Quote:
rue 1 /ru/ [roo] - verb, rued, ru-ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to feel sorrow over; repent of; regret bitterly: to rue the loss of opportunities.
2. to wish that (something) had never been done, taken place, etc.: I rue the day he was born.
–verb (used without object)
3. to feel sorrow, repentance, or regret.
–noun
4. sorrow; repentance; regret.
5. pity or compassion.

Further down the page is this, which fits John to a T:
Quote:
3: sadness associated with some wrong done or some disappointment;
"he drank to drown his sorrows"; "he wrote a note expressing his regret"; "to his rue, the error cost him the game"
[syn: sorrow, regret, ruefulness]

Now for my SPECs

Where it says "he is obsessed" to me that is Hank
Where it says "she still mourns" to me that is Kendra
Where it says "he seeks what we" to me the he is John he is seeking the redheaded Sarah (don't know about the we yet)
Where it says "have lost " to me that is Sarah

To me, "the king" is John.

Now to try and make sense of this, here is the way I see it. I know it's only speculation but if i don't make some sense of this soon, I don't know how to proceed.

To me John and Sarah were in love and conceived a child, Kendra. But for some reason John and Sarah could not be together. So Sarah ends up with Hank. Hank thinks that Kendra is his daughter, therefore he fathered her as in cared for her like a father. John doesn't know that Kendra is his daughter and Kendra doesn't know that John is her father.

Now, if Sarah did in fact kill herself it was not because of the lack of affection from Hank but because she longed for John and because she couldn't tell the truth about Kendra for some reason. Perhaps Sarah knew something none of the others knew and it was her way of protecting all the others. However, I believe she is not dead but trapped somewhere out there in that Triangle.

Therefore, we have to teach Hank how to find her. This is where is obsession comes in handy. We have to teach John is role. That is the role of a King. And we must protect Kendra "the blood of the king," because she is the key to finding Sarah, i guess.

Man, I hope all this made sense. And now, I'll wait patiently for the end of the game so I can eat my hat if this is all wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:34 pm
molecularr
Unfettered

Whatever story line develops (and Sylvia's speculation is certainly plausible), I think rue must be a concrete clue -- like a key or password. It's definition fits when applied to Lanti or to John, but there are just so many better, more familiar words that yshk could have used to mean pretty much the same thing. The fact that yshk keeps insisting on using it makes me think it's a tangible clue, which is why I'm still looking at color tables. Right now (other than Bryan, of course), the stuff surrounding rue seems to stick out the most.

Incidentally, if you convert the decimal values for RUE to hex (the reverse of what I'm doing above), this (attachment) is what RUE looks like. Seems fitting.
rue-color.gif
 Description   
 Filesize   156Bytes
 Viewed   589 Time(s)

rue-color.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:54 pm
 ICQ Number 
Aeon
Boot

Been studying /curiosity, and I have to agree "something" is hidden there. I've been running the first several lines of bg.gif through a vignere style decodder (255 ASCII based, though) using "CFP" as a key. It's abundandly clear that decrypting it with that key is producing patterns, but I've been unable to make anything of them (spend the last hour running the decrypted text up and down through an ASCII rotater).

I couldn't uncover any obviously sensical patterns, but I DID see a clear number of matching triplets of letters, or nearly matching. Strange things like "KLN JLN ILN IKN HKN HJN GJN". Rotated to "ho…go…fo…fn…en…em…dm…", was the closest I came to anything meaningful. Incidentaly "RUE" as a key, has a similar effect, depending on how you run it.

So . . . "something" is definitely in there, and "RUE"/"CPF" is the key. Perhaps it's a message in itself, perhaps it's a password to destegg one of the .jpgs on the page (one shows a positive for jphide, although it could be false).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:50 pm
Sylvia
I Have No Life

just to be on the safe side

Just in case "rue" has something to do with the plant as well as meaning regret. Here's a link to the Wikipedia article that molecularr pointed out earlier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue
Which says:
Quote:
Rue (Ruta) is a genus of strongly scented evergreen subshrubs 20-60 cm tall, in the family Rutaceae, native to the Mediterranean region, Macaronesia and southwest Asia. Different authors accept between 8-40 species in the genus. The most well-known species is the Common Rue.

The leaves are bipinnate or tripinnate, with a feathery appearance, and green to strongly glaucous blue-green in colour. The flowers are yellow, with 4-5 petals, about 1 cm diameter, and borne in cymes. The fruit is a 4-5 lobed capsule, containing numerous seeds.

Literary references

Rue has sometimes been called "herb-of-grace" in literary contexts. It is one of the flowers distributed by the mad Ophelia in William Shakespeare's Hamlet (IV.5):

"There's fennel for you, and columbines:
there's rue for you; and here's some for me:
we may call it herb-grace o' Sundays:
O you must wear your rue with a difference..."

In a song named Her Ghost in the Fog by the black metal band, Cradle of Filth on their Midian album.

"An inquisitive glance, like the shadows, they cast
On my Love picking rue by the light of the Moon."

The progressive metal band Symphony X named a song "Absinthe and Rue" on their first album, Symphony X.

"Absinthe and Rue
twisted wings of paranoia
twilight runs through eyes of ignorance..."

Many traditional English folk songs use rue to symbolise regret. Often it is paired with thyme - thyme used to symbolise virginity, and rue the regret supposed to follow its loss.

Once again we see reference to "Paranoid" first introduced through Kendra's blog from the Black Sabbath video and see the update to my post about Hank's lastest blog entry.

And just in case it's important here's a link to the article about Ophelia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophelia_(character)

Not necessarily that it is important but the story it tells makes one think of this "He fathered a child despite her unknown origins genuinely loving her." The "her" could be referring to Sarah. Which takes us back to the theory I posted above about Kendra maybe being John's and Sarah's daughter or since we don't know a whole lot about Bryan yet, she could be Bryan's and Sarah's daughter. OK, sorry enough with my stupid speculation aka assumption.

Now, it would be nice if we could somehow convince Hank, John or Kendra to post a picture of Sarah so we could put a face to this mysterious lady. However, I'm betting that Kendra looks just like her which may be the reason why we have been told that "Kendra must meet Bryan." I don't know people, I'm just throwing stuff out there to confuse us more I guess but mainly to get it written down before I forget and because a triangle can have many meanings.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:10 am
Sylvia
I Have No Life

was going to edit but decided not to

Just finished up with my studies of wisdom from yshklanti and was going to edit my above post. But since these are also possible and parts also tie into my newest theory I decided to leave them as they are and just post here about my new specs. But instead of repeating myself, you should just re-read the above but think about how Bryan could be involved and then go here to read my newest specs.

http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17348

And as for the /curiosity images, I do believe there is a message in them but not necessarily for us but for Bryan and when the time is right we will be helping him find that message or he will understand it perfectly. So now, the question is, IF we are suppose to introduce this page to Bryan, When.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:21 pm
Sylvia
I Have No Life

hats don't taste to bad

Ok, the theory about Kendra being John's daughter just got blowed to smithereens.

see this post:

http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=283275#283275

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:46 am
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Ny Takma
Jump to: