Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

The Black Watchmen Game and Comic Book!

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:12 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
Poll

Do you plan on ordering perplexcity cards?

Yes, I have already ordered cards
73%
 73%  [ 71 ]
Yes, I plan on ordering cards
20%
 20%  [ 20 ]
No, I am not going to buy any cards
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]

Total Votes : 97

Forum index » Archive » Archive: Perplex City » PXC: General/Updates
[POLL] Are you going to buy cards?
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
_ender
Boot

[POLL] Are you going to buy cards?

Most people here seem excited about the perplexcity cards, but some are insulted that you should pay to play an ARG. Others assert that you can have just as much fun without spending money. Do you plan on buying cards?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Mikeyj
Unfictologist

I think you'd have to be pretty uptight to be insulted...buy cards, don't buy cards...it's all good news for ARGs in general Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:13 pm
BrianEnigma
Entrenched

Mind Candy addressed the card/pay thing during their ARGfest talk. It turns out that because they are not a giant marketing machine (see: ilovebees/Microsoft, Art of the Heist/Audi), they do not necessarily have the limitless budget. They're counting that enough people will buy the cards to offset the people that don't buy 'em. It is sort of a voluntary subscription, if you stop to think about it. This whole topic has been dredged up multiple times throughout the forums here. In theory, you can play the ARG without paying a cent (assuming you get your internet connection and electricity for free.) It just may be slightly more difficult and require a bit more research. You are totally free to jump over to the Card Catalog, print out the 60dpi scans, and pretend you have a set of cards without paying for anything. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:53 pm
rose
...and then Magic happens

pretending to have cards

heh -except for the part where you have to print with UV sensitive and heat sensitive invisible inks and all the pretty shiny stuff.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum in the forums, but I don't quite understand how anyone would be insulted at the idea of buying these cards. The cards are well-made, collectable and unique. Mind Candy is putting out a high-quality product.

And, as Brian said, Mind Candy has explained several times that you don't have to buy the cards to play. Actually, they have gone out of their way to make that point clear.

Mankind was my business, the common good was my business.~ Dickens

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:33 pm
jamesi
Sentient Being

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:34 pm
colin
Entrenched

This really has come up a bit, and the prevous posts have addressed that. However i think MC could have made a concept clear a bit earlier on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:59 am
neophoenix
Boot

Location: where you can't celebrate the Kindling of the Flame

Well, even though my country is located in Central America (making trading process extremely difficult for me) I still intend to obtain as many cards as I can. They look nice and are a fine quality product. They're the perfect souvenir of this whole ARG (my first, by the way), and are excellent to show to my friends as an interesting token.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:08 am
Seej
Unfettered

I like the cards. I leave them lying on the coffee table when people come round and it's an interesting talking point (plus I get to act all superior by knowing quite a few of the solutions Wink ). You're not being forced to buy them (though £2.50 really isn't going to break the bank for most of us) but when you do buy them you know that you're contributing to the running of the ARG (and remember, the more cards they sell, the bigger their budget and the more elaborate the PMs can be).

Tomorrow I'm going on a little journey and I intend to leave my spares lying around on the train, in cafes/bars and hidden inside books such as The Da Vinci Code and Pattern Recognition in shops and libraries so if you don't want to buy but you happen to cross paths with me you might just pick up one or two freebies.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:26 pm
tanner
Entrenched

Quote:
books such as The Da Vinci Code and Pattern Recognition

Foucault's Pendulum is best IMO -- great conspiracy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:07 pm
Seej
Unfettered

tanner wrote:
Quote:

Foucault's Pendulum is best IMO -- great conspiracy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

OK, I'll get that one too, cheers. If anyone's got any other suggestions for books or places to leave cards then PM me.

EDIT (15/8/2005): Whoooo! That was lots of fun. Got a train just about to fill right up with commuters and I've even put the cards in books at kinda relevant pages (Waterhouse's first decrypt, AMON L'ISA, etc.). There's the same sort of adrenaline rush I imagine you get from stealing, combined with the smug satisfaction of a benevolent act well done.

I've been reading the comments rose blogged about not having the language to describe what we're doing here (which, to be serious for a second, is a great blog entry and you should all go read it) and got thinking about what exactly we call what I just did. 'Giving' doesn't quite cover it. We need a new word, since the best antonym I could find for 'steal' was 'return', and that doesn't even apply in this case.

Therefore I'm gonna be all egotistical and suggest this Very Happy :

seej. v. To give in a surreptitious or stealthy manner and without the recipient's consent; "Julie was stoked when I seejed the engagement ring in her champagne"; "I've been seejing cards into books as trailheads for this ARG all afternoon". Razz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:16 pm
SBCS
Kilroy

What about "GWOC-ing"? Giving without consent. Like TWOC-ing but without the ASBO..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:29 am
sledgecallier
Unfettered

GWOK-ing... Sounds like something the Sentinel would come up with in their Earth Food piece... The Act of cooking Guacamole in a wok??? Wink

My cards to trade at Perplexcitytrades

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:01 am
GuyP
Unfettered

I like the term "droplifting" Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:08 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
arc view

arc view

Seej wrote:
tanner wrote:
Quote:
Foucault's Pendulum is best IMO -- great conspiracy :D :D :D
OK, I'll get that one too, cheers. If anyone's got any other suggestions for books or places to leave cards then PM me.EDIT (15/8/2005): Whoooo! That was lots of fun. Got a train just about to fill right up with commuters and I've even put the cards in books at kinda relevant pages (Waterhouse's first decrypt, AMON L'ISA, etc.). There's the same sort of adrenaline rush I imagine you get from stealing, combined with the smug satisfaction of a benevolent act well done.I've been reading the comments rose blogged about not having the language to describe what we're doing here (which, to be serious for a second, is a great blog entry and you should all go read it) and got thinking about what exactly we call what I just did. 'Giving' doesn't quite cover it. We need a new word, since the best antonym I could find for 'steal' was 'return', and that doesn't even apply in this case.Therefore I'm gonna be all egotistical and suggest this :D :seej. v. To give in a surreptitious or stealthy manner and without the recipient's consent; "Julie was stoked when I seejed the engagement ring in her champagne"; "I've been seejing cards into books as trailheads for this ARG all afternoon". :P

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:19 pm
neopuff34
Decorated

Eep! Spambots! Diediedie!

Edit: Spam removed above. -SpaceBass

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:16 pm
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: Perplex City » PXC: General/Updates
Jump to: