Joined: 01 Aug 2008
ARG Stats from a puppet master
I am sharing a couple of stats from my past ARG
In this post you will find several stats about the ARG we just finished (Source). I hope you will find them interesting. Many of them are in the press kit but I added some extra for Unfiction community.
- Warning - I am not a native english speaker. I hope it will make any sense!
* ARG Duration: 39 days
* Time spent by the staff to produce the ARG: 1 365 hours
* Shooting (on set): 2 days with 3 staffs + 2 actors
* 19% : Content (Writing stories, puzzle, script, and so on...)
* 46% : Production (Shooting (on set), html coding, design, server setup, text message configuration, phone system configuration, etc...)
* 10% : Live events (Staff during live chat and livestream)
* 23% : Admin (Project Management, playing the ARG, testing, monitoring)
* 6 500 text messages sent
* 105 500 email sent
Admin represents an important part (%) but monitoring the community to be sure that we reacted quicly when something happened was important to me. For example, one night we had a technical problem in our live stream. The cleaning crew forgot to let the lights on, so at 8.00 PM I had to go back to turn them on. Then around midnight, one of our clue (post-in on a wall) felt down. I had to go back again to put it back. Instead of just putting it 'back', I improvised a scene where we saw our NPC in flashing light, holding a gun. *** It may sound lame but the execution was good. =) For people who had watched the feed straight since 12 hours, it generated a high-emotion moments. We knew, from the beginning that we wanted to jump on any 'opportunities' that would come during the process. Intense monitoring (every two hours) helped us to react as fast as possible
* Time spent by active players: 45 825 hours
* Active Players: 51 863
* Video Streamed: 5.8 Terrabytes
* Forums posts: 17 235
* Forums views: 1 350 074
* Active players - People who go to the website, hit 33, access to the runegate and enter a valide runeset. Anyone else is consider like a 'lurker'.
* Forums posts & views: stats are only from TSW officials forums.
Our simultaneous players’ peak was near 5 700 and it was mostly driven by a seal opening. There was a mix of competition and cooperation to be the first to 'unlock' it, as the nickname was register and everyone else could see it.
Having 5 700 collective brains from all around the world bashing your puzzle resulted in most of them being solved in less than 1 hour. To avoid a burnout, we introduced other mechanics along the way. (Chained seals, more interactions with the NPC, livestream, etc...)
The streaming event generated 28 536 comments and the simultaneous viewers peak was near 700. It has been considered by some people as the most important community bounding experience in the ARG. (More info)
LURKERS vs ACTIVE PLAYERS
This snapshot was taken @ seal 6. In short, while my main players based wanted more content and less pause in the storyline, at least 1/3 of the audience was trailing between 5 to 10 days behind the main group.
* Web Visibility: 2 719 124
* Countries involved: 83
* Website talking about it: 332
Web visibility includes posts, likes, shares and views on differents websites. It is impossible to know the real numbers because most of them don't have public stats, so our numbers are limited to the sites who show them. Real number is probably higher.
Like I said, the same information is available in the press kit, but feel free to ask me any question, I will do my best to answer them.