Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:30 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Slender Man Mythos
[LOCKED] Slender (beta v0.9.6)
Moderators: ChildOfAtom, Cougar Draven, DavFlamerock, Dixie_Wolf, ndemeter
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 42 [630 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42  Next
AgentParsec
Veteran

Slender Man game concept
A Slender Man game

I had an idea for a simple Slender Man game... simple as in, not meant to be a long game, but a quick one that can be played in about 15 minutes or so(depending on the size of the map). The game concept works like this:

The map is a simple wooded area, but it also contains a few old structures, such as an abandoned house. The area is explored from a first person perspective, but there are no weapons or actions. Scattered randomly in the places you can explore are pages (manuscript pages, or just papers with scrawls on them). This is the primary goal of the game: to collect all the pages. Until you collect the first page, there is no danger; once the first page is collected, the Slender Man is spawned somewhere on the map.

At this point, there is a maximum range from you that the Slender Man can be located. If for any reason he gets further from you than the maximum range, he is relocated within the range. For the time, he roams within that range, looking for you. With each page you collect, the maximum range decreases and his roaming speed increases.

Actual encounters with the Slender Man work like this: If he is within your visual range, he stops moving and you start suffering sanity loss. Sanity recovers as long as you are not able to see him (outside of visual range, which is to say not visible anywhere on the screen). Your sanity drops faster the closer he is to the center of your view, and the closer he is to you. For example, if you spot him in the distance amongst the trees, you will lose sanity very slowly, but if you turn a corner and he is right in front of you, it will drop extremely fast. Losing all your sanity (i.e., continuing to stare at him for too long) is one way to lose the game. Your sanity recovers any time you are no longer looking at him.

If he spots you, he enters pursuit mode, and will move towards you at double his normal speed. He doesn't move towards you if you're looking at him of course, but that causes sanity drain so it's not a viable way to stop him. If he catches you, it's game over immediately. If he loses you, he returns to his roaming mode, which includes the possibility of him teleporting somewhere random again.

That's pretty much the entire game in a nutshell. The full outline I came up with can be found here.

I lack the programming or graphical knowledge necessary to make a project like this myself. I am an accomplished composer, however. All in all, I tried to design this to be a simple game so that it wouldn't take that much effort to make (no doors or objects to manipulate, for example, and since you never see the Slender Man moving, no animation is necessary either), so the hardest part will be the graphics. If anyone's interested in forming a team to try and tackle this project, I'd be more than happen to lend whatever assistance I can for design and sound.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:09 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Lunulata
Greenhorn

De-lurking special for you!

Have you played a tiny little game called Hide? It sounds almost exactly like that. I don't know how well known it is (not at all, my guess), but at one point it was linked on Frictional Games' (the Amnesia guys) blog in this post.

Taking a further look at your outline, it does seem more complicated than Hide. What style do you intend to make the graphics?

Edit: Sorry if I seemed a little too detracting. From the linked song (oh, you made Galaxy Hearts? <3], it does sound like you could build up a good atmosphere. I don't know anything about actually building a game itself, but really kind of want to. I do know about what I like in horror, though (and trust me, I do love me some horror). You might slow down with Slenders' appearance, i.e. having him appear fleetingly for the first page and not reappear until the second or third (possibly randomly within a set time frame, if that could work?).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:33 am
12th
Unfettered

We've had a few other people suggest Slender Man video game concepts, along with RPG concepts. Possibly should merge it.

Oddly, this concept sounds a bit better suited for a tabletop board game. Kinda silly to think of it that way, but that's how I was originally thinking of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 am
azureillusions
Veteran

Same, I first thought of this as a board game. Though online would be significantly easier to pull off.

I like the idea. I don't know that Slenderman should pursue you until he catches you immediately. If there's one thing that the mythos shows, it's that a lot of early encounters are survived, even if you don't get out of view. Perhaps some sort of strike system?

Good luck with this, though! Sadly, I'm not able to help, but I hope you find someone who can.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 am
AgentParsec
Veteran

In terms of a slow start, after the first page, he's got such a long spawn range and slow speed that any pursuit at that point could barely be considered a pursuit at all. The only real threat would be if you stared at him long enough, and even then, sanity would drain so slowly at that distance that you would have to stare for a long time or get closer for the loss to even be noticeable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:13 pm
AgentParsec
Veteran

Building off the suggestion that the encounters should not necessarily involve pursuit at first, I made up a quick diagram that shows how a typical Slender Man encounter might proceed in the game. Whenever the player looks away or otherwise does not see Slender Man directly, there is a CHANCE that he either begins pursuit (when the player looks away), or teleports somewhere nearby (when the player is still "facing" him but cannot see him). This chance increases as more pages are collected, so that there's very little chance he'll move at all after the first page, but he will almost certainly pursue/teleport if you have almost all of them.

By not having Slender Man move when the player is facing him (even when he can't be seen), there's also no chance that he will move into the player's view. But there IS a chance he could teleport somewhere behind the player and still roam/pursue the player since he is no longer being faced.

About the game engine itself... I understand how long a simple 3D engine can take to make, so it might be easier to simply make it as a mod for an existing game (like Half-Life 2, for example).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:01 am
AgentParsec
Veteran

Update: I'm trying to figure out Unity, a 3D game design program that doesn't appear to be TOO difficult to use. Plus there's a lot of code for it, and it makes terrain easily. There also seems to be a community for it, so I can ask people for help if I run into any problems. What I might do is start out simple with some untextured blocks to see if I can get the necessary elements down before adding all the details.

Has anyone here used Unity before by any chance? Some help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:53 am
Tharol
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

Likes updates think.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:20 pm
AgentParsec
Veteran

Update: Thanks to the Unity community's help, I am making progress on the game. Player movement is done, and I have a system in place for the sanity drain. SM's movement is next on the list. Right now there are no graphics; we'll be doing that once more of the base system is completed.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:27 pm
perspicacious_loris
Decorated

I'm really excited for this. Keep working hard, Parsec.

My series is TheHLFilms.
My current blog is: http://tomysecretadmirer.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:03 pm
Last edited by perspicacious_loris on Mon May 28, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
AgentParsec
Veteran

Here's a video update of the progress so far. Obviously no models or textures are completed, nor is there any level layout yet or movement of SM. My test area is just a wide, flat expanse with a few cubes as obstacles. In the video, I show off a few things:

1. After the first page is picked up, music starts. Every two pages after that, a different music loop starts in order to build the intensity. When the last page is collected, the music fades out (because that will eventually be the game win condition).

2. Looking at SM (who is currently represented by a stretched-out sphere) results in "sanity" loss. This is represented by an increase in static sounds, plus a buildup of static on the screen (difficult to see in the video since it renders all wobbly when compressed). Looking away from SM restores sanity and gradually gets rid of the static effects. The sanity loss is quicker the closer you are to him (up-close, it will drain completely in a couple of seconds, while at a long distance away, it will take some time staring at him to achieve the same).

Please keep in mind that NONE of this is final. There's still a lot of tweaking to be done even on what's there.

YouTube: Link

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:05 am
perspicacious_loris
Decorated

Wow, this looks really good. Can't wait to see a final product.

My series is TheHLFilms.
My current blog is: http://tomysecretadmirer.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:10 am
Seraphim
Decorated

This looks really good so far...keep up the excellent work! The game is scary already and it's only cubes and spheres haha.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:14 pm
Josh Rallus
Veteran

This looks like it is going to be fantastic. I'm curious, will you be releasing it free to play or charging a fee once you've completed the game?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:26 pm
Strontium
Veteran

Awesome, really awesome.
one thing, though,: why no doors?
I donna about you, but having creaky- ass doors that open Amnesia style could really creatd an entry 14 moment, which would be freeeeaky.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:40 pm
Page 1 of 42 [630 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Slender Man Mythos
Jump to: