Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:58 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Meta » Puppetmaster Help
Futuristic ARG?
Moderators: imbri
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
THmanslayr
Decorated

Futuristic ARG?

How can one have interaction in an ARG that takes place in the future? It seems like there are a lot of integral things that you can't do if your game is set in the future or a parallel universe. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:14 pm
Reply with quote Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
konamouse
Official uF Dietitian

The first ARG did it. I think they found a sort of wormhole that allowed interaction from the future to reach us in the present.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:58 pm
knarF
Veteran

You write your way around it. Be creative and origonal.

If you want some more specific help with the writing of an ARG story and gameplay, send me a PM, i'm looking to get involved in doing one and maybe starting up a bit of a team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:17 am
THmanslayr
Decorated

Thanks. Would love your help, Frank, but I'm mostly in the "I have an idea about an idea that I might have someday" stage right now Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:29 pm
OhWhatProvidence
Entrenched

I have a whole world I've done nothing with so far, considering turning it into an ARG but it would take a lot of actors/makeup/resources I don't have just yet. The framing device I've decided upon is that the players will be 'historians' and that the people running the organization in the future need an un-biased perspective on the events and have to gather information about what's happened and 'is happening' in the future. A few other characters are from various time periods too, to help make the framing device that much stronger. [the timeline I have starts around 2020 and ends somewhere around 2067, which is the year the organization begins reaching out to people] So, it's got the real past, the fake future, the fake present and the real present. Oo But, like I said, I don't have the resources yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:26 pm
Simply Lurking

There really isn't much you can't do for a "future" ARG. Research "World Without Oil" or "The Beast" ("I Love Bees" may have been "future" in nature - no pun intended - but I'm not sure). There are others ("Ares Station", for example) as well that I can't think of atm. Search the archives.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:35 pm
SimplyLurking

Oh, I forgot to mention, there is a bit of a suspension of belief on the players part. If you create a story that is based in the future the players will give you that wiggle room. Players won't actually "believe" that you are from the future, but they will play the game like you are. Understand?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:39 pm
THmanslayr
Decorated

SimplyLurking wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention, there is a bit of a suspension of belief on the players part. If you create a story that is based in the future the players will give you that wiggle room. Players won't actually "believe" that you are from the future, but they will play the game like you are. Understand?

So basically if the game is set in the future, then everyone will accept they they're in the future too?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:09 pm
SimplyLurking

THmanslayr wrote:
So basically if the game is set in the future, then everyone will accept they they're in the future too?

The players will accept that the characters are in the future, yes. The players won't believe that they themselves are in the future. Just to clarify. It's like playing "Halo" - you, as the player, understand that the game and all of it's characters are in the future. You also understand that you, yourself, are not "Chief" or in the future. Does that make better sense?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:34 am
THmanslayr
Decorated

SimplyLurking wrote:
THmanslayr wrote:

The players will accept that the characters are in the future, yes. The players won't believe that they themselves are in the future. Just to clarify. It's like playing "Halo" - you, as the player, understand that the game and all of it's characters are in the future. You also understand that you, yourself, are not "Chief" or in the future. Does that make better sense?

Yeah, thanks Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:55 am
Firious2
Boot

Well I suppose you could do some rewrites, including a character in our own time who's a desendent of one of the future characters. Because of this, depending on how the players interact with the character in the present, the desendant of the character is infulenced.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:57 pm
thebruce
Dances With Wikis

Quote:
How can one have interaction in an ARG that takes place in the future? It seems like there are a lot of integral things that you can't do if your game is set in the future or a parallel universe. Suggestions?

You pose a question that's been weighing me down a lot lately with all the 'transmedia campaigns' surrounding existing fiction.
It's not so much any more the storyworld existing in our own real world as it is us entering that world in order to experience the story that's being told.
So yeah, I don't think an ARG can take place in the future and yet exist 'today' - for example, websites dated 100 years in the future... yet we're reading them now, as if they exist today? erm.. or registering to belong to segmented land districts and regions that obviously don't exist now.

That's not to say these projects can't be well crafted, tell great stories, and be genuinely enjoyable and successful, but IMO they lose one of the main elements that make ARGs good ARGs - it exists and plays out in our world, and we exist here and now, not 100 years in the future.
If the sci-fi arg has a wormhole explanation for interacting with the future, or an AI that's mysteriously able to 'listen in' on the future, that makes more sense (logically, in theory, at least) than browsing a website in the future on my home machine Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:45 am
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Meta » Puppetmaster Help
Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum