Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:59 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Slender Man Mythos
[LOCKED] EverymanHYBRID 2011
Moderators: ChildOfAtom, Cougar Draven, DavFlamerock, Dixie_Wolf, ndemeter
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 160 of 602 [9030 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, ..., 600, 601, 602  Next
qaqa
Unfictologist

Mattwan wrote:
It would explain why they felt the need to add a fourth wheel to their tricycle and would also provide a natural bridge between the MT4 and the EMH3+1.

Except I don't think any of them dying fits into SM's plans. He has had numerous opportunities to kill them all, most clearly in the excursion to Brooklyn, and he doesn't do it. I think he wants the four alive and together. I think if anyone's an extra wheel, so to speak, it's Alex. And he isn't dead despite a definite opportunity in the storyline. The question remains as to whether we had the degree of interactivity to have saved him from a nasty fate at the claws of the Rake by alerting Evan and co. - which I am not convinced we did - or whether they need him alive for some other unspecified reason.

ETA: HABIT, the offer has doubled. Two batches of cookies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:11 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Mattwan
Entrenched

qaqa wrote:
Mattwan wrote:
It would explain why they felt the need to add a fourth wheel to their tricycle and would also provide a natural bridge between the MT4 and the EMH3+1.

Except I don't think any of them dying fits into SM's plans. He has had numerous opportunities to kill them all, most clearly in the excursion to Brooklyn, and he doesn't do it.

The Slender Man works in mysterious ways. Wink

It looks like Slendy had access to the MT4 individually--or at least Vince--before they were united under Corenthal's care, but he didn't start having them "succumb" until after that. Maybe from Slendy's otherworldly perspective, Evan-Jeff-Vince-Steph are like components of a puzzlebox that have to be moved into a particular configuration before their metaphysical yumminess can be unlocked. Now that they're united again, they are beginning to ripen and will soon be ready to harvest, or whatever the appropriate metaphors are. They've just let Alex be the Rake's scratching post because he's not interfering with the configuration but he's also not tasty enough to gut and fillet.

Or maybe Slendy just has some weird transdimensional, cross-temporal OCD. Whatever the case, I'd be pretty surprised if the current Hybrids didn't continue following in the groove worn by the Mining Town Four until something breaks them out (and possibly triggers the finale).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:58 pm
qaqa
Unfictologist

Mattwan wrote:
It looks like Slendy had access to the MT4 individually--or at least Vince--before they were united under Corenthal's care, but he didn't start having them "succumb" until after that.

For whatever reason, it took ten years. Or maybe that's how long he wanted.

Quote:
Maybe from Slendy's otherworldly perspective, Evan-Jeff-Vince-Steph are like components of a puzzlebox that have to be moved into a particular configuration before their metaphysical yumminess can be unlocked. Now that they're united again, they are beginning to ripen and will soon be ready to harvest, or whatever the appropriate metaphors are.

And why were they re-separated in the first place? Because I don't think it's as simple as his having killed the four in 1981. I don't think they died then at all. Why wait til they were all most likely in their late teens, then reset and do it again around thirty years later? (Jesus Christ, I feel fucking old - not that old, nevermind) Does he have to repeat this cycle, or did he not get it right the first time? That's assuming for a moment the four weren't simply been ported to the 21st century, which I am not at all convinced is not the case.

Quote:
Whatever the case, I'd be pretty surprised if the current Hybrids didn't continue following in the groove worn by the Mining Town Four until something breaks them out (and possibly triggers the finale).

Well, isn't that what we're trying to do now? I think the easiest access point is HABIT who knows everything, but he's incommunicado. We have to break them out of following the same old groove. We've begun attempting to manage them like the Corenthals, honestly. Look at everything we talk about and how we gauge their stability as individuals and a group versus what we hope to accomplish with them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:06 pm
kirokokori
Decorated

qaqa wrote:
That's assuming for a moment the four weren't simply been ported to the 21st century, which I am not at all convinced is not the case.

Slendy realized it was too early for any of them to start up an internet blog, which was simply unacceptable, so he moved them forward in time.

Mystery solved.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:20 pm
qaqa
Unfictologist

kirokokori wrote:
qaqa wrote:
That's assuming for a moment the four weren't simply been ported to the 21st century, which I am not at all convinced is not the case.

Slendy realized it was too early for any of them to start up an internet blog, which was simply unacceptable, so he moved them forward in time.

Mystery solved.

This deduction is invulnerable. I CONCUR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:23 pm
Mattwan
Entrenched

qaqa wrote:
Mattwan wrote:
It looks like Slendy had access to the MT4 individually--or at least Vince--before they were united under Corenthal's care, but he didn't start having them "succumb" until after that.

For whatever reason, it took ten years. Or maybe that's how long he wanted.

True. Or maybe true--the timeline still has more holes than substance. It looks like the MT4 could have been united as early as 1971 or as late as 1974. There's a big gap in our knowledge there. Likewise, Slenders could have started picking them (or assimilating them, or whatever) off as early as (very, very late) 1976, taking 4-5 years to finish the job.

Quote:
And why were they re-separated in the first place? Because I don't think it's as simple as his having killed the four in 1981. I don't think they died then at all.

This is an area in which we can only speculate. I have no convictions regarding the fates of the MT4, but I'm strongly partial to the idea that the EMH crew were...gestated and born in the early 90s, but at some point imbued with some essence or set of memories or souls or whatever from the MT4. The current iteration were born separated because that's how the pattern works.

(Anybody read the Chronicles of Amber?)

Quote:
Why wait til they were all most likely in their late teens, then reset and do it again around thirty years later? (Jesus Christ, I feel fucking old - not that old, nevermind)

That's actually a great question. We don't know how old MT4 Steph and Jeff were in relation to Evan and Vince; maybe Slenders can only start up this iteration of activity when one of the group reaches the age they were when he finished off the previous iteration?

Quote:
Does he have to repeat this cycle, or did he not get it right the first time?

Those seem like strong possibilities. It's also possibly he doesn't *have* to do any of this, but it's all just a game to him. This whole ordeal for our gang is just the Slendy version of Solitaire.

Quote:
Quote:
Whatever the case, I'd be pretty surprised if the current Hybrids didn't continue following in the groove worn by the Mining Town Four until something breaks them out (and possibly triggers the finale).

Well, isn't that what we're trying to do now? I think the easiest access point is HABIT who knows everything, but he's incommunicado. We have to break them out of following the same old groove. We've begun attempting to manage them like the Corenthals, honestly. Look at everything we talk about and how we gauge their stability as individuals and a group versus what we hope to accomplish with them.

Totally agreed. Maybe we're trapped in the groove along with them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:32 pm
qaqa
Unfictologist

Mattwan wrote:
True. Or maybe true--the timeline still has more holes than substance. It looks like the MT4 could have been united as early as 1971 or as late as 1974. There's a big gap in our knowledge there. Likewise, Slenders could have started picking them (or assimilating them, or whatever) off as early as (very, very late) 1976, taking 4-5 years to finish the job.

Corenthal started working with them in 1971. I'm not sure if he adopted them until the mid-'70s. I do think they were always Slendy-targets and I think that pre-dates their association with Corenthal. They all came from Centralia, from disaster. They all had horrific backgrounds and I think that was all tied into SM in some way. Corenthal just stepped into that nightmare as per his work and his sense of civic responsibility.

Quote:
Those seem like strong possibilities. It's also possibly he doesn't *have* to do any of this, but it's all just a game to him. This whole ordeal for our gang is just the Slendy version of Solitaire.

That's very true. I'm not convinced he needs anyone for anything, just that he wants to do this because this is what he does to people, especially young people, especially children.

Quote:
Totally agreed. Maybe we're trapped in the groove along with them.

We've begun assuming a particular role which the Corenthals filled, kind of. But judging by those letters he often seemed as in the dark as we are - just spitballing and hoping for the best.

Has anyone ever asked Stephanie anything about Centralia? Has she ever spoken of it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:37 pm
lunaticfish

Stating the obvious but I don't want it to end any time soon either. :3 I don't think it is, actually. I think we're all feeling the panic because we've perhaps reached the top of this rollercoaster.
Interruption over. >_>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:42 pm
qaqa
Unfictologist

lunaticfish wrote:
Stating the obvious but I don't want it to end any time soon either. :3 I don't think it is, actually. I think we're all feeling the panic because we've perhaps reached the top of this rollercoaster.
Interruption over. >_>

I'm pretty sure this isn't what the top looks like. Though I did feel that way a bit when Hidden Videos came out.

And you're not interrupting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:43 pm
lunaticfish

I don't mean the top as "the best", I mean the top as in this is the part where we start clicking to a stop and sit there teetering- in preparation to then go DOWN in a terrifying manner and end up screaming for the rest of the ride. Hah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:09 pm
qaqa
Unfictologist

lunaticfish wrote:
I don't mean the top as "the best", I mean the top as in this is the part where we start clicking to a stop and sit there teetering- in preparation to then go DOWN in a terrifying manner and end up screaming for the rest of the ride. Hah

No, I got it. I'm just not sure we're quite there. It's been a quiet month.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:14 pm
lunaticfish

Er, I'm sorry, let me just completely misunderstand your post.
LOVE YOU QUA-QUA.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:15 pm
qaqa
Unfictologist

lunaticfish wrote:
Er, I'm sorry, let me just completely misunderstand your post.
LOVE YOU QUA-QUA.

You apologize way too much. And that's coming from a serial apologist.

I know I'm not using that term in the right context here. Let's let it go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:22 pm
thehatter
Veteran

i for one dont want to see this series end. if this is the climax like some are saying, i'll cry a little inside.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:23 pm
qaqa
Unfictologist

thehatter wrote:
i for one dont want to see this series end. if this is the climax like some are saying, i'll cry a little inside.

It's not. Relax.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:29 pm
Page 160 of 602 [9030 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, ..., 600, 601, 602  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Slender Man Mythos
Jump to: