Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

The Black Watchmen Project

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:59 am
All times are UTC - 6
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Super 8
Lillian, Ohio
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 2 of 9 [122 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
NOC14672
Veteran

Lillian, Ohio

I was thinking, whaf if the City of Lilian exist in 1979 and for some reason (a cover up from de government after a attack Rolling Eyes ) the name change? It's possible to find a list of Ohio Cities in 1979 or around that year?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:45 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Headman
Entrenched

Re: Lillian, Ohio

NOC14672 wrote:
I was thinking, whaf if the City of Lilian exist in 1979 and for some reason (a cover up from de government after a attack Rolling Eyes ) the name change? It's possible to find a list of Ohio Cities in 1979 or around that year?

Shocked Great idea! Even if it isn't part of this ARG or movie I like it! That could make for a story line in a movie. Something like Silent Hill which was inspired by Cerntralia Pennsylvania.

I came across this article on abandoned towns in Ohio, I thought it was a pretty neat read. Ohio's Abandoned Towns

Another option may be that the town was flooded and turned into a reservoir. I know there were a few towns that my father told me stories about where a damn was built and an entire town was buried below the water. One such town was New Burlington that was flooded in the 1970's by the Army COE to create Caesar Creek Reservoir . It's only about 30 miles south of Wright Patterson AFB.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:08 pm
kosmopol
Pretty talky there aintcha, Talky?

Great ideas, people!
Who knows, perhaps the little town Lillian in Ohio just stopped to exist after some incidents? I mean, assaulted - classified - "never existed".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:52 pm
Xeno Lambrose
Unfettered

Vanished Lillian?

Interesting theory about an incident happening in Lillian and it no longer existing, but in all reality, unless EVERYONE, including military support, etc. were wiped out, someone would know about it. Also, consider relatives of ones who lived in "Lillian;" wouldn't they be a little concerned when letters are returned to them stating "Town Vanished--Left No Fowarding Address?" Confused

But in the world of Alternate Reality, I suppose just about anything is possible, even if it seems implausible. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:34 pm
Headman
Entrenched

Re: Vanished Lillian?

Xeno Lambrose wrote:
Interesting theory about an incident happening in Lillian and it no longer existing, but in all reality, unless EVERYONE, including military support, etc. were wiped out, someone would know about it. Also, consider relatives of ones who lived in "Lillian;" wouldn't they be a little concerned when letters are returned to them stating "Town Vanished--Left No Fowarding Address?" Confused

But in the world of Alternate Reality, I suppose just about anything is possible, even if it seems implausible. Wink

It's not that people wouldn't know that town ever existed, just that the reason it was permanently closed was covered up by something such as a natural or man made disaster. Assuming individuals survived whatever happened they could be paid off and sworn to secrecy at risk of discrediting and incarceration. For all we know Lillian will be a much smaller town than we see in the video's and images of Weirton. But I think your right. Probably not the case but NOC14672 had a great idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:08 pm
punxtr
Die Hard Try Hard

Any relatives of Spielberg or Abrams with the name Lillian?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:48 pm
Xeno Lambrose
Unfettered

There is an interesting idea there—does JJ go for integrating the “incident” at “Lillian” into reality, as though it actually happened, or depict it as simply a good (hopefully GREAT) Sci-Fi story?

For example, in CEOT3K, the movie was constructed in such a way that if the events that occurred in it had really happened, a plausible reason was given for evacuating people living in the area of the Devil's Tower, and at the conclusion of the mothership departing, conceivably the locals were returned to their homes none the wiser, and the only ones in the know (with few exceptions) were the team that had trained and been assembled for such an eventuality.

For there to have been a “Lillian” that ceased to exist, and life to have gone on such as in CEOT3K, would seem to be a much different case. In the CEOT3K storyline, advance planning had preceded the big moment, whereas from what we know about S8, something unexpected happened. Imagine if your town was invaded by the military. Even though people didn't have phones glued to their ears in 1979, such an event would have caused people to be calling people in other areas, and splitting by all means necessary. Keeping something such as that under wraps would hardly seem possible/plausible.

If we assume that “Lillian” in 1979 was a going concern processing steel—wikipedia says that Weirton was “home to..the Weirton Steel Corporation which was once a fully integrated steel mill employing over 12,000 people,” and that the population in 1980 was nearly 25,000, it would take some creative thinking to come up with a scenario explaining why the rails are no longer running through this former community, the steel mill and all other businesses, and schools have vanished, as well as the populace.

I personally think that looking for a “Lillian, Ohio” that vanished in the past is directing our efforts in the wrong area. Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:36 pm
kosmopol

Yes, perhaps it's the right way! I love btw. the idea of vanishing Lillian.
Btw, it's pretty simple for government to explain the vanishing (i.e. destruction) of this little town for friends and relatives living outside of Lillian: natural disaster. So many tornadoes and another catastrophes had already destructed little towns...

Ah, and btw, with Lillian I always associate Lily Ford, a character from Cloverfield movie and ARG.

She was supposedly the only person from Slusho 6 (or Slusho 7, of you want), who survived.

She also was pretty communicative at MySpace and after all my favorite, lol. Lilian brought some intertextual references in the ARG to the meta-level of the movie, as she wrote in her blog about "House of Leaves".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:20 am
JayOhio
Boot

looks like the side of the car says Tannen County Sherriff,

so could we say Lillian's in Tannen county? Its a little hard to read but it looks like Tannen to me.
copsuper8.jpg
 Description   Tannen county Sheriff
 Filesize   135.66KB
 Viewed   76 Time(s)

copsuper8.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:07 pm
flibble666
Veteran

JayOhio wrote:
looks like the side of the car says Tannen County Sherriff,

so could we say Lillian's in Tannen county? Its a little hard to read but it looks like Tannen to me.

yup ied agree looks like Tannen County to me as well google give nothing useful as of this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:38 pm
r.m
Unfettered

Tannen County

Here's a couple more pics from the Lillian Journal newspaper showing Lillian to be in Tannen County, Ohio.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:51 pm
kosmopol

Wow, that's awesome!

Beside of the Tannen, which remains a mystery for me, I have a small request to you people:

Where it possible to make shot of the newspaper, I mean, perhaps of the textes and articles of this newspaper which is sold in the newspaper stand? I don't know, how far they worked with such details, may be there is just "lorem ipsum", but who knows?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:54 pm
Will_Quick
Boot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:09 pm
kosmopol

Wow, thank you, Will_Quick, you're really quick! I'll try to read the textes. The first one thing I see and I like about this newspaper - there is no date or year in the header Very Happy

Are there actually various issues of this newspaper? Because they look different. I wonder, how often they are changed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:40 pm
r.m
Unfettered

kosmopol wrote:

Beside of the Tannen, which remains a mystery for me, I have a small request to you people:

Where it possible to make shot of the newspaper, I mean, perhaps of the textes and articles of this newspaper which is sold in the newspaper stand? I don't know, how far they worked with such details, may be there is just "lorem ipsum", but who knows?

Since you asked...
Here's a pic of the Lillian Journal. I think this is just a simple prop, where the only important feature of the newspaper is the Lillian Journal name. The content of the individual articles is actually a few paragraphs that are repeated over and over. And the local update seems to be based on Los Angeles. But maybe someone will see something more in it. So here it is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:41 pm
Page 2 of 9 [122 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Super 8
Jump to: