Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:39 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
[OT] Writing a book
Moderators: Giskard, JKatkina, Zarggg
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
Argorok2346
Boot

[OT] Writing a book

Seeing as the other guy seems to have dropped his project, I thought I'd adopt it and write my own diary-style book about Slendy. Your ideas are encouraged, and very welcome. I'll probably go and write up a couple of drafts for the first "day", and post it here.

See you in a day or two.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:16 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Six
Unfettered

I really hope none of you people writing "books" are going to try to publish and capitalize on other people's ideas.

The great and mystical Six predicts a fucking plethora of legal problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:32 pm
RatheadSyndicate
Decorated

Six wrote:
I really hope none of you people writing "books" are going to try to publish and capitalize on other people's ideas.

The great and mystical Six predicts a fucking plethora of legal problems.

The great and mystical RatheadSyndicate predicts that no one currently holds intellectual property rights to Slenderman, and that this is therefor an erroneous assumption.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:06 am
Six
Unfettered

Even so, the Great and Wise Six thinks any book written in a "day or two" automatically loses credibility in the only head that matters- that of the Great and Wise Six.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:47 am
Telos954
Entrenched

The Not-So-Great and Opinionated Telos thinks that because no one currently holds any sort of copyright or anything over the Slenderman, and because his creation and evolution were a joint effort from a lot of different people, some of which hadn't known each other until the thread he was created in, that there would be no legal issues with it.

Using Marble Hornets characters or something could pose a problem, but that's not what this is about.

As for being 'written in two days', I think the 'Great and Wise Six' needs to reread. They're saying that's when they'll have a sample for us. A 'couple drafts for the first day' does not mean "Hey, I'm writing the entire book in a few days."

The Not-So-Great and Opinionated Telos thinks that if Six were so 'Great and Wise', that the 'Great and Wise Six' would have noticed that. He also thinks that everyone should cue the Family Guy 'Big Fat Phony' clip, directed at the 'Great and Wise' title.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:03 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Six
Unfettered

I think Masky stole your sense of humor, Mister.

Plus, it's not about legal intellectual property or copyright infringement so much as it's cause a bunch of first rate circus bullshit. People would crawl out of the wood work to claim they had invented Slenderman, that someone had stolen their idea, etc, etc, left and right. Even if no one 'owns' Slenderman, you'd still need to hire a legal attorney to defend that he's usable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:09 am
RatheadSyndicate
Decorated

Six wrote:

Plus, it's not about legal intellectual property or copyright infringement so much as it's cause a bunch of first rate circus bullshit. People would crawl out of the wood work to claim they had invented Slenderman, that someone had stolen their idea, etc, etc, left and right. Even if no one 'owns' Slenderman, you'd still need to hire a legal attorney to defend that he's usable.

Nah, you really wouldn't. The trail of SM's invention remains well-documented. He is a cryptid invented by committee, starting with SA and continuing elsewhere. This isn't up for debate. Crazies try to sue people all the time, that doesn't mean that the legal system, or those they try to sue, are at their beck and call.

As for the credibility of the book, you're a little over-worried about that, don'tcha think? Shit prose doesn't need anyone to reveal its shittiness. It's self-revelatory, and self-regulatory. Self-publishing has more-or-less made a cottage industry out of selling physical publication to shitty writers, but that doesn't mean that bad writing is any less obvious. If someone writes a Slenderman novel and it's wretched, I will quietly laugh at it from my ivory tower and continue to make money by actually selling the fiction over which I've labored. If it's revolutionary and awesome, I'll buy two copies and give one away.

Everyone wins!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:22 am
Telos954
Entrenched

Six wrote:

Well, he stole my $20 first, which caused me to lose my sense of humor when I couldn't pay for gas to run from Slendy.

Any way. Even if no one did try to say so, it'd be in any author's best interest to hire a attorney any way. But yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Still, I think there's loopholes that could be used to stop all of the people claiming him to be theirs from ripping apart his sales and such.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:27 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Six
Unfettered

RatheadSyndicate wrote:

As for the credibility of the book, you're a little over-worried about that, don'tcha think? (Insert War&Peace)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:44 am
TaylorPopek
Veteran

The optimistic and curious Taylor Popek would like to see this completed even if it doesnt bring in the money, I would like to see what you have to offer us thirsty phishes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:59 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Argorok2346
Boot

The bored and terrible-at-writing Argorok hopes to be able to write something, but cannot promise you much through the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:06 am
RatheadSyndicate
Decorated

Six wrote:
RatheadSyndicate wrote:

As for the credibility of the book, you're a little over-worried about that, don'tcha think? (Insert War&Peace)

Yes. War and Peace. In five lines of text. That's some tasty glib avoidance right thurr.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:58 am
lifegospel
Unfettered

Lifegospel the mysterious would like to offer his services as a beta reader for this novel... it interests him.

And guys, RatheadSyndicate has a point. The Slenderman wasn't created by any single person. Sure, the idea was introduced by Victor Surge, but after he posted it to a public forum where he most likely knew people would pick up on it and improve it. He probably forfeited any ownership rights anyways. Therefore, it's in the public domain.
Quote of the month: RIP Chayse Yaganoichi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:28 am
Telos954
Entrenched

lifegospel wrote:
Lifegospel the mysterious would like to offer his services as a beta reader for this novel... it interests him.

And guys, RatheadSyndicate has a point. The Slenderman wasn't created by any single person. Sure, the idea was introduced by Victor Surge, but after he posted it to a public forum where he most likely knew people would pick up on it and improve it. He probably forfeited any ownership rights anyways. Therefore, it's in the public domain.

-Cough- I basically said the same thing. Aside from the 'Forfeited any ownership' bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:37 am
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
Jump to: