Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Mon May 29, 2017 1:42 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
[ARG? TRAILHEAD?] frenziedwaters.com re: Discovery Shark Wk
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 3 of 8 [106 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
FSURobbie

djchristensen wrote:
So both of us have done this before with Project Abraham, so I Just hope you and your friend got the package and I hope that they have a phoenix one.

I GOT IT!!!

Here's the haul from the 07/13 Miami Drop:

Same contents as one of the other drops, but I don't care, I wanted that shark's tooth so bad! W00t!

Thanks for the well-wishes DJ, and yes, the new coords will go up next Monday if it works the way the last two have. I believe the coords will be for the same cities already listed though as both of the previous two drops have been for the same set of cities. If nothing else, maybe it gives you time to plan a trip to a nearby city?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:24 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
djchristensen
Unfettered

FSURobbie wrote:
djchristensen wrote:
So both of us have done this before with Project Abraham, so I Just hope you and your friend got the package and I hope that they have a phoenix one.

I GOT IT!!!

Here's the haul from the 07/13 Miami Drop:

Same contents as one of the other drops, but I don't care, I wanted that shark's tooth so bad! W00t!

Thanks for the well-wishes DJ, and yes, the new coords will go up next Monday if it works the way the last two have. I believe the coords will be for the same cities already listed though as both of the previous two drops have been for the same set of cities. If nothing else, maybe it gives you time to plan a trip to a nearby city?

Congrats Robbie, that is awesome, here is to hoping they do one here in the phoenix metro area, but i won't get my hopes up as it seems to be a lot of locations near water, which AZ definitely doesn't have

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:45 pm
FSURobbie

djchristensen wrote:
Congrats Robbie, that is awesome, here is to hoping they do one here in the phoenix metro area, but i won't get my hopes up as it seems to be a lot of locations near water, which AZ definitely doesn't have

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Are any of the other cities near you? Also, check your PM's.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:29 pm
PaperbckWriter9
Veteran

Razz Yeah!! My husband & I found the Chicago jar/week2: Coral Sea 1942, 4/11!! Although the coordinates led to an address that wasn't the exact location where we found the drop... Did anyone else encounter that?
Went to 2950 N. Clark (according to the coords), which was a nail salon & told the lady behind the counter we were on a scavenger hunt & asked if anyone left a jar behind for pick up & well, frankly, she looked at us like we were crazy. =No jar D: I was so bummed! I doubled checked the address, walked up & down the street (for what felt like forever) looking in flower pots & behind garbage bins... I almost gave up when my better half suggested we check out the surrounding stores. After canvassing 9 other store fronts, we came across Two Sided at 2958 N. Clark... & it was there!! At any rate, this was the first time I picked up a drop before & it was really fun. I can't wait for next week!
Here is a pic of the contents of the jar - http://twitpic.com/ae7vm
I think we may have all the same items except for the postcard & the pic w/ the matches...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:37 pm
FSURobbie

jki6783 wrote:
Although the coordinates led to an address that wasn't the exact location where we found the drop... Did anyone else encounter that?

Ha, yeah, I think we are all running into that...Congrats on the find!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:48 pm
krystyn
I Never Tire of My Own Voice

I was hoping to get to go to the L.A. drop, but then I was stuck at home waiting for my repaired 360 to be delivered, as it had to be signed for.

Lucky for me anyway, as it was super-hot, and the A/C is currently nonfunctional in my car. I would've been really sweaty and cranky by the time I got to the location. Wink

Maybe I will have a chance to try again? Is that right, that there's multiple weeks?

xbl gamertag: krystyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:10 am
ellaina
Boot

Dallas drop

I went by the Dallas location today. It was picked up yesterday, in case anyone was planning to go for that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:51 pm
heybeesly
Veteran

Looks like someone already got to the Philly drops. Ah well. Sorry guys! I'll try for the one next week.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:51 pm
lighter
Boot

Dang it! I was just heading out to check for the Philly drops.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:39 pm
ariock
Has a Posse

Latest twitter update:

UPDATE: 5 capsules still out there. "Asbury Park": Miami, Atlanta. "Battle of the Coral Sea": Los Angeles, Atlanta, San Fran #FrenziedWaters

I thought they said the SF one was no longer available...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:55 pm
Rogi Ocnorb
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

Did nobody get the earlier one at the surfboard store?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
krystyn

I got one of the Coral Sea ones!

Will either update this post or post again with pictures and a description of what I found. Trying to cool off now.

ETA1: There was a copper strip in with the items that had the Frenzied Waters URL with an appended unique-looking directory. I went to the URL, and it simply refreshed to the front bit without any sort of confirmation that I actually did something. Huh? However, when I tried altering my directory a bit, I got a 404, so clearly I did something or accessed a portion of the site that redirects successfully to the top level.

More coming soon.

Looks like I have everything Robbie had in his find, except my girlfriend-back-home photo was a different girl. Smile (CAD!!!)

I loved the handwriting on the postcard - what is SO BAD-ASS about it is not only the handwriting, but the Australian stamp from 1942 and a nice clear stamped cancel over it. Really nice work.

Like, as I was at the Hollywood Divers shop, pulling things out of the jar, me and SCUBA instructor Bill were putting together the story of this person.

His name was Jake Shydowe-Hewes (the hyphenated name was probably to keep from matching up with any real people out there, hee hee), and at the time he wrote this postcard, it was 1942, ostensibly 4 years before he was killed in the water by a shark or somethin'. He's got a Mom and Dad - Dad's named Richard, and they live in New York City, on White St.

He's got three siblings - Jimmy, Greg, and Cass. He misses Mom's cooking, and his Dad works a lot.

The sailor cap was really waterlogged at one point - every time my nose gets anywhere near the capsule, I get a huge strong whiff of the sea. After watching the video again, it's pretty disturbing, to be honest. Smile And I can only imagine that the square card floating about at the end is the pinup girl from the capsule.

The matches in the waterproof case are pretty neat - wax-coated.

The capsule's metal lid is all bright-orange rusty, and sparkly in the way that metal can get when it's had salt water dry on it. The outside of the plastic jar has flecks of white like salt crystals all over it.

Since my stuff is so much like Robbie's, I'll take and post pictures only on request. I might scan the other side of the postcard, though. That was my favorite part.

ETA3.14: My label indicated this was 1 out of 11 (1/11)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:00 pm
Last edited by krystyn on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
aliendial
Unfictologist

I got the second (well, officially first) drop in DC. Posted pics on twitpic at http://www.twitpic.com/photos/aliendial. Kewl. The Asbury Park incident.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:35 pm
krystyn

Here's where Coral Sea Jake lived:

Google Maps Link

Up on the third floor, apartment E. Very Happy

More info on what was actually happening in that video:

http://www.gunplot.net/coralsea/coralsea.html

In fact, I think what has happened is that poor Jake was on the USS Lexington, and is in the water because it was bombed, on fire, and sinking.

Sad

I have to admit, I actually had to blink a bit of mistiness out of my eyes at the shop when I got to the hat. Because of the strong smell, yep. That's it.

ETA: Aw dang, how sad: the postmark is for April 20, 1942, and the Battle of Coral Sea was May 4-8, 1942. By the time they got the postcard, he was probably already dead. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:57 pm
FSURobbie

krystyn wrote:
ETA: Aw dang, how sad: the postmark is for April 20, 1942, and the Battle of Coral Sea was May 4-8, 1942. By the time they got the postcard, he was probably already dead. Sad

You know, I wonder if they had to get permission from the families to do these?

Also, my buddy who helped me score the second MIA drop for myself is on the way to pick up the first for himself. When he saw how awesome it was he decided he wanted one. I returned his favor by tracking it down for him.

Someone needs to go get those two in ATL. It's only 2 hours away and I'll be there this Saturday. If they are still there I'll go pick them up myself. I know a couple of people around here who would like them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:13 pm
Page 3 of 8 [106 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Jump to: