Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com

The time now is Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:58 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Low-Volume Games
[CHARLOTTE] Charlotte is becoming real
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 32 of 44 [659 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, ..., 42, 43, 44  Next
moggi

1.) We just tried it... Razz
2.) I don't know it. It's a long time ago and I'm not the youngest... Laughing
But I will ask my puzzlers!

By the way, I found maybe something interesting about the notebookscan: maybe "as sagt tschüß" means Anna Spiegel (the German Anna Glass) says bye. And someone (we have to find out) waves goodbye. Maybe Anna Spiegel turns her identity like Dr. Larenz (Glass and Krotzler) and Anna Glass is the person we're searching for... Confused

Anyway... it's just the beginning and it will take a long time to find the truth. Our ARG isn't finished yet.

So keep on searching... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:11 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
moggi

Now I remember... we found the numbers for the code in a book on the website alznerexperiment.com. So I think it's right to use the patient dates as code.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:17 pm
MissLady
Boot

Yes moggi is right, I agree! You should try!
First number = page
Second number = line
Third number = word

That is how we did it.... Good luck! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:25 pm
danteIL
Unfictologist

MissLady wrote:
Yes moggi is right, I agree! You should try!
First number = page
Second number = line
Third number = word

That is how we did it.... Good luck! Very Happy

We could try this except "Charlotte Sometimes" doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere except through Amazon and I'd like to be convinced that it is necessary before buying it.

EDIT: I found the book in my school library. Even though it's an older edition, it seems to have the same page numbering as the current edition shown on Google books. Anyway, no combination of page/line/word/paragraph/chapter seems to work with any of the birthdates. For example, 69/08/12 doesn't work because there are only 10 words on line 12 of p. 69, and 3 words on line 8. Any more ideas what to do with the book?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:00 pm
addlepated
Unfictologist

All kidding aside, I've been spending so much time trying every hare-brained scheme I can think of turning the times in the video into letters, searching for their numbers on eBay, on Twitter, on TinyURL, on Flickr, as ISBN numbers, you name it, plus trying to figure out what the patient numbers in the /data directory mean. I'm spent.

My husband is annoyed at me because I'll whip out my phone during dinner to look up my newest idea, and I'll shush him when he's trying to talk to me at all other times because I"m doing some delicate calculation. Probably making things too hard on myself.

And now that we've lost P.Martin, Penny, and Jimmy, I'm really lost! Please, someone tell me you've been working on this and have come up with good ideas. I'm sorry for all the mean stuff I said about the bird drawing. It's beautiful. Really. Is it a bird?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:22 pm
addlepated
Unfictologist

I just tried page/line/word and page/line/letter from Therapy and it worked up until I got to page 70, which has nothing on it. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:17 pm
Tresbien
Unfictologist

I share your concerns, Addie, and think you have lots of company. We've spent many hours in chat together and on our own trying everything we can think of and have struck out on the patient data and knowing jpeg in particular. Right now it feels like we've stalled outand are losing momentum with this story. A little "ongoing support" would be appreciated at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:07 pm
enaxor
I Have No Life

Ditto on the concerns voiced by Addie and Tresbien. We've been working on the same thing for three days now, and seem to have reached an impasse. Quite frankly I'm not quite sure what to try next. We need our little Jimmy or crazy Penny. Heck I even sent the knowing.jpg to PMartin, hoping for cryptic or not so cryptic nudge in the right direction.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:32 am
moggi
Greenhorn

@dante

Try the session dates. Maybe you'll find something there...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:24 am
Mehetabel

Leaving the island?

So, I'm catching up, here, and a friend just suggested that the 'History of New York' calendar page might be relevant to Anna's comment about 'leaving the island'. I mean, it's talking about the history of Manhattan Island. Just a thought...

Also, I'm not sure if it's a transcription glitch, but when talking about her dog, Anna says 'our father couldn't stand him', implying that she may have a sibling, probably younger, given the story of her father.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:36 am
Tresbien
Unfictologist

Welcome Mehetabel--I just wanted to note that I believe it is a typo in the transcript, and she does say, "...my father" when talking about him hating the dog.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:43 am
danteIL
Unfictologist

moggi wrote:
@dante

Try the session dates. Maybe you'll find something there...

Well, the problem is that many of the session dates are the same..

So, assuming that 09/01/05 is page/line/word, we get:

school
in
night
in
school
school
building
where
for

and then it breaks down because there is no 13th word on line 3 nor 25th word on line 2.

Good thought, though..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:02 am
enaxor
I Have No Life

enaxor wrote:
Heck, I even sent the knowing.jpg to PMartin, hoping for a cryptic or not so cryptic nudge.

And so....

P. Martin wrote:
It's not a question of knowing or not knowing.
It's a question of time.

Next time, I'll stick with just "not so cryptic nudge". Wink

We've already tried using the time stamps in the videos to lead us somewhere, but so far nothing has come of them. Addie posted the numbers here. We've been working on the assumption that we have to add a 0 at the beginning and a 1 at the end, making the number 0 412 637 646 1. I've even tried them as phone numbers, forwards and backwards, without any luck. Maybe someone else should try calling them and see what you get.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:38 am
seventyeightpercentwater

Phone Number?

First off, this is my first post ever in these forums, and my second day of ARG. I spent most of yesterday trying to catch up, and am still attempting to get the lay of the land. Completely impressed...You people the Sherlock Holmes of the tech world! No wonder they put you on the oil problem.
That being said, this is probably an OOG message but I thought I's pass it along.
When you call 1-412-637-6461 you get an "All circuits are busy, please try your call again later...message 8 (something that sounds like "switch") 2-43"
Call twice more and a slightly more harried voice gives the same message but with 089P at the end instead.
It's most likely just a verizon message, but I just really wanted to post Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:34 am
danteIL
Unfictologist

The Notebook (no, not the weepy movie)

Okay giving up on the knowing.jpg (and the /data/ directories, grrrrr) for the time being, I thought I'd return for a moment to our lovely notebook page: http://www.ivankrotzler.com/photos/nbscan.jpg

Going on the assumption that these doodles relate to HMM-models, after doing some reading online about these models and what they are used for, my best interpretation is that this page is showing how an HMM model could be used for natural language processing. Basically, the general idea is that given a state-transition matrix (that is, if the system is in a given state, what is the probability that it could transition to other possible states?), and a confusion matrix (that is, given the input, what is the probability that the state can be classified as a particular type?), each element can be interpreted with a particular mathematical likelihood. So, if the input is speech, HMM-models can be used to recognize that input and classify that input, either as a particular word (e.g., speech recognition) or as a particular type of word (e.g., grammatical parsing). I'm sure that I have butchered this completely and if any real HMM-model experts are reading this, I apologize.

Anyway, I wish I had the perfect weblink to illustrate what I mean, but looking at the scan, the top layer of the model (ai), I believe, represents the input level -- in this case, the speech. So this would correspond to the states, and the transitions between states. It looks to me like the label for that first node on the left has been partially erased, but let's assume that it says "Thomas" (which is a guess based on the scrawl on the top of the right matrix in the middle of the page). Then the middle node is labeled "sagt" (German for "says") and the last node is labeled "Tschüß" (German for "goodbye"). So, that top layer reads: Thomas says goodbye.

Then, each of those nodes are connected to a node in a 'hidden' layer ("versteckt", German for 'hidden) represented by bi. I think this is the interpretation level. Underneath the first node is the label "agent." This label maps nicely onto "Thomas" because Thomas is the agent of that sentence -- he is the one doing the action. Underneath the second and third nodes are "(xxx)" which may represent that these are as-yet unknown interpretations at this point in the model. I'll come back to this in a moment.

Next, I have to admit that the two matrix representations in the middle confuse me, because I wasn't able to find any illustrations in the HMM work that look like this. But I think that this represents each possible combination of states based on the input and the state probabilities. Again, the right matrix seems to have "Thomas a[?] sagt" at the top and "agent/[??]/sagt" on the left. *shrug*

Finally, we have the two lines at the bottom. It took me a while to realize is that those two lines go together:

Code:
         winkt  zum Abschied.
(agent) (event) +++    +++

So again, we have a missing (possibly erased) "agent." Next, we see that 'winkt' -- the verb of the sentence, lines up with "event." This makes sense because "winkt" (German for 'waves' in this context) is the action of the sentence. The (+++) that line up with "zum Abschied" (another expression for "goodbye" in this context) may be there either because this is still part of the 'event' or perhaps because these elements cannot be interpreted by the model. Going back to the top set of nodes, notice that the last node on the b layer has a question mark next to it, which is under "Tschüß" -- again, this may not be interpretable since it isn't a clear element distinct from the 'event' node.'

Oh, and I guess that the little stick figure at the top is "Thomas", saying something important (concentric circles). And the little bird/dog figure is the one trying to do the interpretation. I dunno.

I don't know if any of this makes sense, but yes, it is a lovely bird. Wink

And I have no idea why a psychiatrist specializing in labryinth-syndrome would be writing about HMM-models and natural language processing...

One edit to make this clearer:

So, the idea is that if one hears "Thomas" and assigns that as the "agent," what is the probability that the next element will be an "event" and/or what is the probability that this event will have the form "sagt?" And then, given "Thomas sagt.." what is the probability that the next element will be "Tschüß?" This may be why there are two forms of "goodbye" on the page -- each one (saying "Tschüß" vs. saying "winkt zum Abschied") has a certain probability, such that when you hear 'Thomas sagt..' you can't be 100% sure what would come next).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:24 pm
Page 32 of 44 [659 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, ..., 42, 43, 44  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Low-Volume Games
Jump to: