Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:10 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Low-Volume Games
[CHARLOTTE] Charlotte is becoming real
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 4 of 44 [659 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 42, 43, 44  Next
October
Unfettered

Somewhere out there, a PM is reading this debate and :headdesking. lol!

My husband and I have tried writing both 21A and VIZ with several different markers on several different surfaces. The heavier spots show up in different places each time and are consistent with our handwritings. He tends to lean on the marker at the beginning of the writing stroke, while my blobs occur at the end of the stroke. The answer here may depend on the handwriting of whoever labeled the tape.

So, we have two possibilities: The letters (possibly initials of the patient) VIZ or a letter/number combo (maybe a session number or tape number) 21A.

Now that I look at it more, it looks more like VIZ to me, but I could just be convincing myself of that. Anyway, we'll probably figure out what it is by context, or when other tapes with either the same letters or a different combination of letters/numbers show up. Or it might just be icing and not mean anything at all.

Edit: Husband mentioned that if one of those letters is an "A", there would at least be a visible pressure point for the cross stroke of the "A" and at least a trace of horizontal smearing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:33 pm
Last edited by October on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
PostLarval
Entrenched

PinkCloud wrote:
Btw Hi! I'm new here, a bit lurking before but this Charlotte thing sounds pretty exciting Smile

Nice, another San Diegan ARGer! Welcome =)

My immediate thought when I looked at the tape was that it said 21A. But it could easily be VIZ. Depends on a person's writing style. Looking at all the hand-labeled CDs around me, my 'blobs' are ending points. Some that were given to me by friends have 'blobs' as starting points.

Anyhow, w00t to the possibility of some SD happenings!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:43 pm
ndemeter
Entrenched

First of all I have some questions about this. Here we go:

1. What are the levels of background noise? Is this taking a place indoors or outside somewhere?

2. When the man said "Oh my God" what was the tone of his voice? Is there a pause? Is he more speaking to himself or to the woman?

3. What is the newspaper name that the package was wrapped in?

4. Is the writing on the blank side of the tape or the one with the interview?

My initial reaction when I saw the pics is that it says "VIZ" as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:26 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
addlepated
Unfictologist

ndemeter wrote:

1. What are the levels of background noise? Is this taking a place indoors or outside somewhere?

It's hard to say - it could just be a bad recorder/playback and be indoors, or it could be outdoors and be a train/the surf/a rollercoaster/etc.

Quote:
2. When the man said "Oh my God" what was the tone of his voice? Is there a pause? Is he more speaking to himself or to the woman?

Sounds more to himself - quiet, startled realization.

Quote:

Monday's San Diego Union Tribune.

Quote:

Just on the side with the interview.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:46 pm
October
Unfettered

ndemeter wrote:

*deletedeletedelete*

AGGHH, never mind - Addlepated is too fast for me! (and the forum didn't give me the little warning that someone had already posted as I was making my reply. Forum gnome is napping on the job!)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:51 pm
PinkCloud
Decorated

[quote="addlepated"]
ndemeter wrote:

It's hard to say - it could just be a bad recorder/playback and be indoors, or it could be outdoors and be a train/the surf/a rollercoaster/etc.

-> There is a rollercoster here in San Diego /Mission Beach at the Belmont Park pretty much at the end of Mission Boulevard... I was thinking about that, but wouldn't we hear some people screaming? Unless the rollercoster went during the day with nobody on...mmh Confused
thanks for the welcome Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:59 pm
PostLarval
Entrenched

ndemeter wrote:

1) Hard to say from listening to a recording of a recording. If they're sitting outside, we could be hearing waves or wind. Sometimes it sounds like cars passing by. One way to look at this is: what AREN'T we hearing? No other chatter, no car horns, no beeps or blips or birds or bad music... just somewhere relatively quiet and alone. Maybe an office looking down on a city street? A beach house?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:03 am
addlepated
Unfictologist

October wrote:

AGGHH, never mind - Addlepated is too fast for me! (and the forum didn't give me the little warning that someone had already posted as I was making my reply. Forum gnome is napping on the job!)

It's because I'm sitting here pressing "refresh" on this thread every 30 seconds! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:08 am
blessedSophia
Boot

PostLarval wrote:
ndemeter wrote:

1) Hard to say from listening to a recording of a recording. If they're sitting outside, we could be hearing waves or wind. Sometimes it sounds like cars passing by. One way to look at this is: what AREN'T we hearing? No other chatter, no car horns, no beeps or blips or birds or bad music... just somewhere relatively quiet and alone. Maybe an office looking down on a city street? A beach house?

Good point. We're not hearing any variation from the background noise--no cars, no voices, no bells or announcements, no horns, no sound of people, nothing. Wherever they were, it was quiet or they were alone.

Not sure what we should be going on here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:11 am
drizjr
Unfictologist

Hey addie! <hugs>
viz vs. 21A
If you look at the "play me" post it, and the writing on the envelope, can you tell if the heavy strokes are at the start of the letters or at the end, compared to the markings on the cassette. (Assuming they were done by the same person.)

Some other observations:

viz vs. 21A aside. The little girl's name sounds more like Charlet/Charlett/Charlette to me, unless there's an accent at work.

Speaking of accents, the man seems to have one. Maybe German?

While searching for the trailhead, I stumbled upon what I think is the source material for this story. ***MAJOR STORY SPOILER***
Really... don't look if you you'd rather have this unfold on it's own.

Spoiler (Rollover to View):
The book THERAPY by Sebastian Fitzek
I'll leave it up to you if you want to Google it. The little girl's name is different in the book (Josy), so I'm not sure that this is "official". Although it might be an adaptation, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:39 am
October
Unfettered

Driz!!! OMG, haven't seen you since Sammeeeees!! *hug*

And your google-fu and observation skills are still keen as ever. Wink

On the second listen, I also thought the name sounded like Charlett the way the woman pronounces it - with a hard "ch" (as in "church") rather than the soft "sh" in "Charlotte".

addlepated wrote:
October wrote:

It's because I'm sitting here pressing "refresh" on this thread every 30 seconds! Laughing

LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:01 am
BubbleBoy
Decorated

I'm putting my vote in for "21A", simply because it looks like the dark areas were caused by "end strokes" (the pen stays in one place too long). Unless the person writes their V's backwards, their I's upside down and their 2's from the bottom up, this is "21A", not "VIZ".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:14 am
tranceform
Greenhorn

I'll be following this avidly. I just moved to Canada for school, but spent the rest of my life in San Diego.

(To the other San Diegans here: don't move to Canada. It's cold, like you wouldn't believe. Eat a burrito for me.)

I agree with BubbleBoy, it's 21A.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:44 am
BadSmeagol
Boot

drizjr
I think you may be dead on with what you found to be the source material for this. It was released in Germany last year. The US release date is 3/17/09.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:45 am
oraclle
Veteran

October wrote:
Somewhere out there, a PM is reading this debate and :headdesking. lol!

QFT.

Aside from this interesting little debate on handwriting (I'm going with VIZ*) the trail's now dry, right? I mean where could we possibly go from here?

*I would also bet on it being permanent marker on an old tape and the PM didn't think it would matter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:46 am
Page 4 of 44 [659 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 42, 43, 44  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Low-Volume Games
Jump to: