Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com

The time now is Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:14 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 39 Clues
[39C] The 39 Clues
Moderators: drizjr, sapagoo
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 371 [5559 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 369, 370, 371  Next
danteIL
Unfictologist

[39C] The 39 Clues

The New York Times has an article up on "The 39 Clues," a new book series for children by Scholastic that is apparently going to have a significant online gaming component:

Quote:
An online game will allow readers to search for the 39 clues themselves, while solving puzzles and playing mini-games that will be refreshed daily. Mr. Levithan said the site would include blogs written from the points of view of characters, and maps, treasure hunts and videos, many with historical and geographical content.

This is the site, apparently: http://www.the39clues.com/

I'm glad to see stuff for kids being developed...

Edit: Unarchived. -SpaceBass
Edit: Moved to CFwP -Giskard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:04 am
Reply with quote Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
better
Greenhorn

I just visit your link but it is just having a single this
39 Clues, Coming i september 2008.
So i think till than i have to visit any other site for gaming. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:32 am
Rekidk
Entrenched

Well, I know what I'm getting my 10-year-old brother for Christmas next year. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:50 pm
notgordian
Unfictologist

Didn't Mind Candy give a presentation at Scholastic a few months back? Good to see something innovative is coming from it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:37 am
AtionSong
Unfettered

There was an article about this in the New York Times today. Unfortunately, the words "Alternate" and "reality" are not used; instead, it is refered to as an "internet game". Sad Shame. Maybe I'll write an angry letter...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/18/books/18scho.html

Quote:
Scholastic Plans to Put Its Branding Iron on a Successor to Harry Potter

By MOTOKO RICH
Published: December 18, 2007

Correction Appended

With the Harry Potter series now completed, Scholastic, the United States publisher of those wildly successful books by J. K. Rowling, is moving forward with what it hopes will be its follow-up blockbuster series.

Called “The 39 Clues,” this series will feature 10 books — the first of which is to go on sale next September — as well as related Web-based games, collectors’ cards and cash prizes. The project demonstrates Scholastic’s acknowledgment that as much as the publisher heralded the renewed interest in reading represented by the Harry Potter books, many children are now as transfixed by Internet and video games as they are by reading.

“We want to go where the kids are and really be part of their complete world, rather than going to one aspect of their world,” said David Levithan, an executive editorial director at Scholastic. He added, “We talk of it as being subversively educational.”

The series, to be officially announced by Scholastic on Tuesday morning, will be aimed at readers 8 to 12 and offer mystery novels telling the story of a centuries-old family, the Cahills, who are supposed to be the world’s most powerful clan. According to the books, famous historical figures ranging from Benjamin Franklin to Mozart were members of the family. The plots will revolve around the race by two young Cahills, Amy, 14, and Dan, 11, against other branches of the family to be the first to find the 39 clues that will lead to ultimate power.

Rick Riordan, the best-selling author of the Percy Jackson series, which includes “The Lightning Thief” and “The Sea of Monsters,” mythologically themed books aimed at preteens, has written the first title in this new series, “The Maze of Bones.” He has also outlined the story arc for the next nine installments.

The books will come out once every two or three months, and the publisher has already signed Gordon Korman, the author of “Swindle” and “Schooled,” aimed at middle school children, to write Volume 2. Peter Lerangis, who created and wrote the Spy-X and Watcher series of books, and has ghostwritten for The Baby-Sitters Club and Three Investigators series, will write the third title; Jude Watson, who has written several “Star Wars” prequels, will write the fourth.

The series is also Scholastic’s attempt to create a branded franchise for which it owns all the rights. Ms. Rowling retained the rights to the Harry Potter series, which meant that she could pursue separate deals for film and other licensed products, effectively cutting out Scholastic.

An online game will allow readers to search for the 39 clues themselves, while solving puzzles and playing mini-games that will be refreshed daily. Mr. Levithan said the site would include blogs written from the points of view of characters, and maps, treasure hunts and videos, many with historical and geographical content.

Each book will come with six collectors’ cards that can be used to find further clues in the online game. Players can also win cash and other prizes.

The publisher hopes that reluctant readers will be drawn to the books by the game. “Reading the books will make you better at the games, so that is the incentive,” said Suzanne Murphy, publisher of Scholastic’s trade division.

Jesse Soleil, director of the Lab for Informal Learning, a research group within Scholastic that has been developing new projects, said many gamers were already avid readers. But for those who aren’t, he said, the series is “about living where these kids are, and even if they are reading the books for information for the game, hopefully they will get some entertainment, and it will get them into reading.”

Mr. Riordan was drawn to the series partly because of the gaming component. “I’m a gaming geek from way back,” he said, recalling his passion for Dungeons and Dragons as a teenager. Now he plays online games like World of Warcraft with his two sons.

But he said he didn’t try to write the first book with specific gaming outcomes in mind. “My main concern was crafting an adventure novel that would stand on its own, even if kids never access the Internet at all,” Mr. Riordan said.

During the brainstorming phase and after he wrote a manuscript, Mr. Riordan worked with editors at Scholastic, who suggested details that could be worked into the novel so that they could also be used in the game.

“There’s a lot of commonality between what makes a good game and a good book,” Mr. Riordan said. “Whether you’re a gamer or a reader, you want to feel immersed in the story and invested in the action and the characters, and you want to care about the outcome and you want to participate in solving the mystery.”

As for whether attaching the books to an Internet game could help recruit new readers, he said: “Some kids are always going to prefer games over books. But if you can even reach a few of those kids and give them an experience with a novel that makes them think, ‘Hey, reading can be another way to have an adventure,’ then that’s great. Then I’ve done my job.”

Correction: December 19, 2007

An article in The Arts on Tuesday about the publisher Scholastic’s plans for a series of books that it hopes will be its follow-up to the blockbuster Harry Potter series referred incompletely to the involvement of the writer Peter Lerangis in two earlier series. Mr. Lerangis, who is to write the third book in this new series, created the Spy-X and the Watcher series and wrote all the books in them; he has not merely written books in those series.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:25 pm
Varin
I Have No Life

AtionSong wrote:
Unfortunately, the words "Alternate" and "reality" are not used; instead, it is refered to as an "internet game". Sad Shame. Maybe I'll write an angry letter...

Well, the books are going to have a target market of 8-12 year olds. I would expect the online component (whatever it turns out to be) to be appropriate for that age group also.

"meta meta meta, I made you out of play..." ~ j5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:39 pm
jscdragon
Veteran

Yeah presumably you will be able to play them whenever too, so it doesn't matter when the kid buys a book, I presume it will be more like a solo-replayable ARGish kind of thing...

Still cool though Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:20 am
cassarenas
Veteran

Ok... so.. anyone wants to raid this one just for fun?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:28 pm
danteIL
Unfictologist

bump.

I'm not sure what the criterion was for making this an "old" news and rumor, but it looks like the publicity for the upcoming 39Clues books/game is starting, and the website has updated with a countdown (and we know that countdowns make a good ARG)...

http://the39clues.scholastic.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:14 pm
BerzerkerJen
Boot

I just came across this book on Amazon, so I searched and found this thread. Is anyone going to get this book for their kids (or themselves)?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:59 pm
sapagooModerator
Charter Member

BerzerkerJen wrote:
I just came across this book on Amazon, so I searched and found this thread. Is anyone going to get this book for their kids (or themselves)?

My son is too young (only 4) and I am too old. But I read the first 2 chapters online, and will probably follow the online stuff if there is any interest.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:41 pm
thebruce
Dances With Wikis

Well the first book has been released, and the39clues.com is live... the contest/prizes portions are available in numerous countries.

celina twittered that she started reading the first book and was really interested in it. So out of curiosity, I checked out the site, and it is pretty inice. I order the first book and some cards, and signed up for the online component.
The cards are a lot like PXC, and I'm thinking the puzzle cards will (hopefully) get harder as the game goes on...
I didn't see any age restriction Razz so go sign up. LOTS of story and information to digest!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:02 pm
BerzerkerJen
Boot

It looks like there are age restrictions for the prizes, and different rules for each country.

It looks like fun even without prizes, so I think I'll get the book.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:25 pm
thebruce
Dances With Wikis

bah! missed that max age... prizes only available for players ages 6-14 (obviously via parents w/permission)
but the game still looks playable for anyone; you just can't win anything... but, if ye got kids though... Wink
But it's true, it does seem like a great way to introduce a younger generation to args/mysteries/puzzles/brainy-fun stuff... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:35 pm
sapagooModerator
Charter Member

I signed up on Tuesday, haven't bought the book or cards.
I have a few online cards, and solve 4 puzzles total.

Let me know if I can help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:53 pm
Page 1 of 371 [5559 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 369, 370, 371  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 39 Clues
Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum