Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Mon May 01, 2017 12:11 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: Chasing the Wish » CTW: Quick Reference
The Story So Far
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

The Story So Far

Well, as far as we can tell, here's the short version of the plot as far as we know:

Dale got into a little trouble with some loan sharks, and decided to commit suicide. As he tries, he's stopped by a mysterious character calling himself "The Wish" who gives him one wish, and one wish only. He's told he'll forget about everything after he makes his wish.

Dale wishes for lots of money to get himself out of the trouble he's in. Granted!

Dale then wakes up in the hospital and discovers that he's been in an accident, and that his wife and daughter are dead. His partner assures him, "Don't worry about anything. After what happened, the insurance company will be anxious to settle this and put it all behind them."

So this is how he'll receive this money, at the cost of the lives of his wife and daughter. Problem is, he didn't forget the transaction.

Looks like he'll be chasing down The Wish to try to get him to take his wish back, to return his wife and daughter to life.

Do I see Rod Serling in the corner??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:50 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
mottjr
Veteran

Re: The Story So Far

vpisteve wrote:
Dale got into a little trouble with some loan sharks, and decided to commit suicide. As he tries, he's stopped by a mysterious character calling himself "The Wish" who gives him one wish, and one wish only. He's told he'll forget about everything after he makes his wish.

Dale wishes for lots of money to get himself out of the trouble he's in. Granted!

It's also important to the storyline to remember that he also wished that his wife and daughter would never find out what he had done. So, both wishes were granted through the accident. He will get a large settlement from whoever is responsible for the accident and his wife and daughter will never be able to find out about his past mistakes.
2 wishes granted! poof!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:10 pm
LordKinbote
Decorated

And then the monkey's finger mysteriously curled into its dried, shrunken fist.

Oh, wait, wrong story.

---Scott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:15 pm
dmax
Unfictologist

heh

LordKinbote wrote:
And then the monkey's finger mysteriously curled into its dried, shrunken fist.

Oh, wait, wrong story.

---Scott

Heh. Right story.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:27 pm
imbri
Entrenched

Here's a quick discovery trail to let you all know how we got to where we did in the wee hours of the morning...

at 11:42 Diandra noticed the email and the madness began. With so many people in IRC at the time and so much information, people were posting new sites and information and who knows exactly who found what and how. Warning, there will be some spoilers here.

The email leads to synthasia.com.

sythasia is chocked full of info and new things were being discovered there all night. The first stuff to get posted, though, were the clients:
Aglaura New Jersey Municipal Website
Mid-Jersey Mobile Prototype
Akrion (at least i think this was on the client's page, it's not any longer. It was a fast & furious night.

About the same time, the sliding puzzle was discovered on the fun page, but it's significance wasn't discovered for quite sometime (though it was solved relatively quickly).

Also, within seconds, AnonymousFame was found from references on the about>information page

The next site to be explored was Aglauranj.org which led to discovery of the various sites held withing:
The Library
Emporium of the Weird
Hollow Needle
Lake of Tears

By this time, we had solved the slider puzzle, but still had no clue what it was about. Perhaps something with the number of pine trees? Maybe the number of branches? stupid slider puzzles...if you lose the page you need to do it all over again. ARGGGGGGG! (and thus we remember why we call this lovely genre Alternative Reality Gaming. ooo more pages, hopefully someone else will figure this out Smile

Next stop, AnonymousFame. which led to the discovery of Empty Threats, the only client listed on their client page.

It's now midnight...all that in 15 minutes...YIKES. brains begin exploding simultaniously in #unfiction as people post links and quotes and presumed references.

Talk returns to the slider puzzle and the branches, but nothing was resolved. Is that a puzzle on the Emporium of the Weird bumpersticker? How many logins have we found? There's one on synthasia. Hmm, another on Anonymousfame. Oh, and another on Akrion.

More cursing of slider puzzles

Then the realization that the numbers on Akrion are real. if you google the numbers in a string (without the hyphens) you even get the company name and address. It must be listed somewhere. Is it real? Is it ingame? Whoa! Bill left a message. You can also send a fax. (note: it has since been determined that it is NOT in game... don't call or fax)

Talk then returned to synthasia and the aquarium page. Lots of spanish and other references. Not only that, there's a wish spell and a wish ritual on the privacy pages. Is this how we're supposed to chase the wish? It was at this time that we realized that mother & daughter died on February 14, 2003.

Some frustration ensues over not finding the journal yet (it's now 45 minutes after discovery), but there's so much information and information overload that we're easily distracted.

w00t! video! we've found the news promo

Then, while we're absorbing all of the information. Exploring the aquarium, and googling Ong's Hat, the diary is discovered! It was all about the branches. Using a 1/1 = A 1/2 = B 2/1= C 2/2 = D code, you get unravel. We now have a much larger piece of the plot and a new site! In the diary, you will see references to Ash Grove Park, which led to www.ashgrovepark.com.

That takes us to about 4:30 AM, at which point, many of us become quite useless and went to bed Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:54 pm
LordKinbote
Decorated

Nice, imbri. Very nice. You captured the first hour's frantic nature quite well. Smile

---Scott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:59 pm
dmax
Unfictologist

imbri wrote:
Then, while we're absorbing all of the information. Exploring the aquarium, and googling Ong's Hat, the diary is discovered! It was all about the branches. Using a 1/1 = A 1/2 = B 2/1= C 2/2 = D code, you get unravel. We now have a much larger piece of the plot and a new site! In the diary, you will see references to Ash Grove Park, which led to www.ashgrovepark.com.

I thought the diary was found by the popup that came from the sliding puzzle/trees solve?

THANKS fo the great summary, but you forgot the head banging against the keyboard and the spouse saying "aren't you coming to bed yet? And don't let me catch you getting up early to work on it..." Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:05 pm
kingohugs
Veteran

HUH!?!?

I don't think i got a pop up on the slider solve this morning!

Where did the aquarium page come from/how was it found!?

Yes, a lot of stuff to wake up to this morning, so I'm just working on catching up to who what how....

Thanks gang!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:14 pm
 ICQ Number 
LordKinbote
Decorated

There was no pop up on the sliding puzzle, at least not for me. Imbri's description of how we got to the diary is right.

And we found the aquarium because there was a description of the aquarium on the Fun Stuff page that was quickly replaced by the paragraph about the HIP.

---Scott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:19 pm
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

Dale is going to the loony bin!

Additionally, looks like Bruce is having Dale committed. Some friend!

From the Synthasia emails:

Quote:
Subject: You've Left Me No Choice, I'm Sorry

Date: 28 Feb 2003

Dale,

You don't know how hard this is for me to do, old friend, but you've really left me no choice. I've tried everything I could to get a hold of you. And asked you to come back to anonymousfame. And so on.

And now you've started calling and e-mailing people with this crazy "Wish" story of yours. Don't you see how absolutely ridiculous that makes you look? And that store owner from Aglaura . . what the hell were you thinking?

You've left me no choice. I've using the Power of Attorney you granted me as part of the arrangement I made with the doctors. I'm having you committed tonight to a facility where you can get some help. They should be there any time. Take this time and get well. Please.

I really do care.

Bruce

Plus, the bad guys haven't forgiven his little debt yet:

Quote:

To: <dale@synthasia.com>

Subject: Did you think we forgot about you?

Date: 19 Feb 2003

Poor little Dale,

Hey, you didn't think we forgot about you and your little debt did you? Not a chance.

And with that insurance money coming, you should have no problem in paying. You managed to dodge your last deadline. You won't be so lucky next time.

your friends

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:44 pm
imbri
Entrenched

well, really, it might be good that he's been sent to an institution (if indeed he was and that the knocks weren't his not-so-nice friends). At least there he'll be safe?

And really, if you started telling me about some crazy guy coming to you and offering you a wish and then the gun not going off and time being sent back and such, I'd probably have you committed Smile But only because I'd be worried about our Vern losing it and really thinking he was Vern!

So I tend to like Bruce right now. He genuinely seems to care.

imbri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:41 pm
dmax
Unfictologist

Bruce

imbri wrote:

So I tend to like Bruce right now. He genuinely seems to care.

Which means I immediately don't trust him. Wink

However, he might be a key to getting this rectified.
Or are we supposed to rectify it?
Are we going to force a wish and go back to square one? That would leave our protagonist dead.
Gotta plan this out. Assuming we "get" a wish, we might want to have it ready...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:50 pm
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

My plan is this:

Find out where Dale is, help him escape from the Loony Bin, help him find the guy with the accent from Angela's Ashes, and threaten to tie him down and force him to watch Joanie and Chachi reruns until he undoes Dale's wish. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:57 pm
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

imbri wrote:

And really, if you started telling me about some crazy guy coming to you and offering you a wish and then the gun not going off and time being sent back and such, I'd probably have you committed Smile But only because I'd be worried about our Vern losing it and really thinking he was Vern!

imbri

Remind me to never give Imbri power of attorney. Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:06 pm
Caterpillar
Unfictologist

Re: Dale is going to the loony bin!

vpisteve wrote:

Plus, the bad guys haven't forgiven his little debt yet:

xdfgrthsodSPLATblindmailerproxy.com

Interesting if you look at the email addy, it reminds me of "godfathers", except there is an "x" and "d" instead of an "a" and an "e".

I know this doesn't mean a thing, just found it amusing considering the source.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:16 am
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: Chasing the Wish » CTW: Quick Reference
Jump to: