Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:00 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
[LOCKED] mayday mystery
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 3 [38 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
none

mayday mystery

Anyone know anything about maydaymystery.org?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:19 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
BrianEnigma
Entrenched

Re: mayday mystery

none wrote:
Anyone know anything about maydaymystery.org?

A Google search pulls up some interesting articles, including this one and this one.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:48 pm
kxmom11x
Charter Member

http://www.maydaymystery.org/mayday/offsite/grail_2_23_00/

and lots more here...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=+site:www.maydaymystery.org+maydaymystery

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dmax
Unfictologist

It is very interesting.

I dropped the website guy a hello note, pointing him to the unf crowd and mentioning that they were very good at figuring out stuff like this.

Don't embarrass me.

/me slaps forehead.
Confused

Here's another Google found page about it, BTW. There are plenty of Google hits, but this one has more than a simple passing mention.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:00 pm
talax
Boot

an interesting page about it:
http://www.explorernews.com/articles/2003/05/14/news/export899.txt

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:07 pm
dmax
Unfictologist

Letter back from the maydaymystery guy:
Quote:
So here I am thinking how cool this emerging life-meets-game mystery genre
is (ala the BMW/Apple promotion puzzle, Majestic, etc.) and somebody's
gone off and created a whole damn website about it. Not only that, but
there's an existing community of creators and followers and forums and
everything. (sighs)

How the hell did I not find this earlier? There goes the next 4 months of
my life... grr... anyway...

Well, I'll keep my eyes open, but I've had people banging away at this
since 1995-ish and we've got nothing save for the fact that They are in
touch with us at this point. It definitely is real, however, I've got two
crates of mayday-related detritus sitting in my closet at home, and I'm
verifiable in sizteen different ways.

Thanks for the heads up

-bhance

I gave him our chat-solutions address.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:10 pm
Tien_Le
Charter Member

may day

This is way way cool...thanks for posting this.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:34 pm

Re: may day

Tien_Le wrote:
This is way way cool...thanks for posting this.

It is way cool. But, who posted it? Someone fess up.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:11 pm

hey all

Hi all - I'm bhance, dmax (as mentioned above) got ahold of me last week re: this thread. And this site, which looks awesome, and will probably eat all my free time. Smile

I've received emails from a few of you and haven't had time to really sit down and write back just yet. I'm wrapping up a contract programming job at the moment and pulling lots of overtime, so I'm a not able to spend much time here, but I promise I'll be dropping in ASAP - in the meantime you might just binge on the site and mull it all over

-bh

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:25 pm
Wishi-san
Unfettered

I've just spent about three hours getting sucked into that site. Fantastic, but strange.

They've certainly increased in complexity especially the one from this year. There's an ungodly amount of information in that one.

From reading the article at Explorer News it certainly sounds like Hungerford is part of it (if the article isn't massively exaggerating of course).

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:34 am
joebrent
Unfettered

So ok, just looking at the most recent ad, we see:

1. At the bottom of the page: !*! A♦A♣Q♥8♠8♣ The orphanage directly instructs Matthias: "Honor the Oath." Razz

Aces and eights is the "Dead Man's Hand" in poker, Wild Bill Hickock was holding it when he was shot.

2. The lettering that denotes each entry is in a combination of Hebrew and Greek (and some gibberish), and in the center, "יויה" is Yehovah, a word which is forbidden to be spoken by practicing Jews.

3. At the top of the page: Leitmotiv "a work that cannot be diminished by death." A leitmotiv is a melodic fragment used to paint characters, objects, or actions in an opera or other musical drama. Wagner pretty much invented it (but not really, just most famous for it), and John Williams uses it a lot in his scores. Think of the famous Darth Vadar leitmotiv to see what I mean: "daa daa daa dum deedaa dum deedaaaaaaa...".

I'll get into each individual entry later, but I'm going to a barbecue now.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:41 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dmax
Unfictologist

joebrent wrote:
So ok, just looking at the most recent ad, we see:

1. At the bottom of the page: !*! A♦A♣Q♥8♠8♣ The orphanage directly instructs Matthias: "Honor the Oath." Razz

Aces and eights is the "Dead Man's Hand" in poker, Wild Bill Hickock was holding it when he was shot.

2. The lettering that denotes each entry is in a combination of Hebrew and Greek (and some gibberish), and in the center, "יויה" is Yehovah, a word which is forbidden to be spoken by practicing Jews.

3. At the top of the page: Leitmotiv "a work that cannot be diminished by death." A leitmotiv is a melodic fragment used to paint characters, objects, or actions in an opera or other musical drama. Wagner pretty much invented it (but not really, just most famous for it), and John Williams uses it a lot in his scores. Think of the famous Darth Vadar leitmotiv to see what I mean: "daa daa daa dum deedaa dum deedaaaaaaa...".

I'll get into each individual entry later, but I'm going to a barbecue now.

I've done some quick reading back and I'll save you guys some trouble: there are recurrent concepts, like having a leitmotiv, or mentioning Mistah Kurtz, or the Orphanage. Before you try interpreting the newer stuff, read through the voluminous work that others have done in recognizing the symbols and quotes.

Quoting a hero -

Nick Danger: Thanks, half-pint. You just saved me a lot of investigative work.
Rocky Rococco: Maybe yes. Maybe no...

-

Edit: Would it be wrong of me to suggest that we continue our noodling on the meaning of these ads at the site that Mr. Hance has already established? It already has the attention of a sizeable number of other onlookers, and our suggestions here exist in a relative vacuum unless we share them with the others that are similarly interested.

(And it would enlarge the ARG community if you referenced back here periodically, too. I bet some of those folks would find ARGs interesting.)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:52 pm
Last edited by dmax on Mon May 31, 2004 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
yanka
Fickle

Row 1, Col. 7

This is from here:
Beacon wrote:
The top row right hand box dS/dt is the rate of change of S (could be entropy or distance) with t - time? Rate of change od
distance with time is velocity so in this case it denotes a something not at rest or a system with increasing entropy (all
thermodynamic systems do that otherwise we would have perpertual motion machines)

HmmmÖ I think itís the rate of change (or the derivative) of Speed at given time (where S=speed). The function, I think, would be S=d/t, and then Sí = dS/dt = (tdí Ė dtí)/t^2. Itís very likely that Iím wrong, though (itís been too long since Iíve done calculus), so plz donít hesitate to correct me. Embarassed Confused Derivatives are also mentioned in row 12, col. 7.

Row 9, col. 1

I didnít find anything on this on the current page, soÖ

Psalms 107:29-30 ďHe calms the storm and stills the waves. What a blessing is that stillness, as he brings them safely into the harbor!Ē According to this, Augustine wrote his Confessions in A.D. 397; 474th anniversary would be 871 ad. Have no idea what happened that year; google is mostly coming up with this. 474 is also mentioned in row 11, col. 6.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:46 pm
joebrent
Unfettered

Events

- Nine battles are fought between the Danes and Wessex. Of two of them the place and date are not recorded, the others were Englesfield (31 December 870), Reading (4 January), Ashdown (8 January), Basing (22 January), Merton (22 March), Wilton (May).
    - Alfred the Great succeeds as king of Wessex after Ethelred's death.
    After the battle at Wilton, peace is made, with the Danes and Alfred each governing part of England.
    - Rhodri the Great inherits Seisyllwig, thus uniting most of Wales under his rule
    - Louis II captures Ban, the headquarters of the Saracens.
    - Alfred makes Winchester to his capital.
    - An incomplete marriage contract, dated to October 6 of this year, is the earliest dated document in the Cairo Geniza.

Births

(none)

Deaths

Ethelred of Wessex (died in the battle of Merton)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:22 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
yanka
Fickle

Joe, I have been digging around this site for the last few hours ( Shocked ), and found that there are multiple references to anniversaries of Confessions; the two I think I remember are 462nd and 451 or something...

--------------edit----------------
Actually, I guess they take the "confessions" to be Confessio Augustiana: "Augsburg Confession" - June 25th (1530 or something) - which makes a lot more sense when you add the anniversaries - all within the last few years

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:46 pm
Last edited by yanka on Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 3 [38 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Jump to: