Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:19 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: Cloverfield (1-18-08) » Cloverfield: General / Updates
Help Translate New Picture on 1-18-08 - [Translation Topic]
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 7 of 16 [234 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 14, 15, 16  Next
disposablefilm
Greenhorn

Cold.

I think Nightowl is onto something regarding the "cold" There are two key phrases in the translation which I found odd. "Everybody, thank you for viewing" & "Please make sure to keep this one cold". What would people be viewing and wouldn't it be obvious to keep something like this cold?

Theory: I think "cold" is a clue. Why? Because the the temperature in the trailer (and even the fake one) have warm temps in the lower thirds of the news reel. 63 & 69 degrees in the middle of January in NY?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:50 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Euchre
uF Game Warden

Re: Cold.

disposablefilm wrote:
I think Nightowl is onto something regarding the "cold" There are two key phrases in the translation which I found odd. "Everybody, thank you for viewing" & "Please make sure to keep this one cold". What would people be viewing and wouldn't it be obvious to keep something like this cold?

Theory: I think "cold" is a clue. Why? Because the the temperature in the trailer (and even the fake one) have warm temps in the lower thirds of the news reel. 63 & 69 degrees in the middle of January in NY?

People would be viewing a TV show.
It seems apparent to me that the image is the sort of incidental image you'd get from taking a frame of a show for your photo (snapshot). The Japanese have a pretty strong cultural interest in cooking, and there are plenty of cooking shows on Japanese TV. The Japanese also consider the presentation of food critical to the experience, so if the chef feels the temperature is part of what makes the presentation special, he'd stress that.
ŠEuchre 2007

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:29 pm
The Internet
Boot

Keeping thigs cold generally keeps them fresh too, so it's probably to keep the flavour of the dish. It is intresting that we've had two key words here (crab and cold) that are both parts of the slusho website, we also seem to have something that looks like an oven mit (or atleast something in the shape of of one) in the picture too, all clues which point to slusho and the history page. The intresting part is also that the only interactive character on the history page is the crab, which has 3 or 4 different positions you can get him into, so perhaps the clues in this reciepe may help us unlock something more on the slusho site (something that i've been waiting for Very Happy ).

We may also wanna look around for that catchphrase of his, it may dredge up clues on another, yet undiscovered, site.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:40 pm
Melampus
Unfettered

Some ideas...

First, Cthulhu, that's a kick-ass picture of the guy in the crab-statue-claw - did you find that or take it? It's awesome.

Second, (sorry... it was a cool picture, whaddya want?), I like the way you think, Euchre - if there's any kind of consistency to the pictures, then it could be that this one was found in the rubble of Rob's apartment (or, where-ever that party was), along w/the others (the writing on the back of the others means they were made into hardcopies before the monster attacked) - so, it was prob. a picture/recipe-card that Rob or someone else had. Any of the other myspace people have a tie to Japan?

Third, if it's a fake t.v. show, then there may be a fake website (for the fake t.v. show). Anyone recognize the chef in the picture (to determine if it's a real show or not)?

Fourth, can this still be marketing for the movie? I mean, this pic. is so unrelated - it's related ONLY to Slusho! (as far as I can see), so, it seems to CLEARLY imply a backstory, something they already worked out. I think this means there's much more to come.

And, lastly, at the San Diego ComiCon, J.J. Abrams said we (USA) needed our own monster, and he said this in direct reference to Godzilla - so, maybe all the Japanese stuff is a red herring. I mean, it's probably related, but only indirectly. Just a thought. (if it's a USA-created monster, then it's probably related generally to consumer-based capitalism run amok, etc. etc. and Slusho! is the perfect metaphor for that, even though it's... from Japan. Still, based on JJ's comments at S.D. there's a chance anything Japan-related will only be indirectly related to the monster).

The real question, though, is WTF is this picture doing on the 1-18-08 site?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:00 pm
Eddy
Decorated

Maybe all the numbers in the recipe amount to something: 2, 10, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/3, 2, 1/2, 1/3, 8, 3, 3912

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:31 pm
Lasher
Boot

OK Folks here is how my wife and I translated this. It's the proper translation of this recipe, almost the same but .. its cleary not what the other person had posted.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for checking us out! We are introducing this weeks tasty one dish. Make sure you eat it cold!

Skinless chicken breast Cut in half 2 pieces
    Soumen Noodles 10 oz
    Watercress Julien 1/2 cup
    Radish Sliced thin 1/2 Cup
    Shitake 1/2 Cup
    Chicken Broth 1/3 Cup
    Sake 2 Large Tablespoons
    Sugar 1 small teaspoon
    Kaitei no mitsu 1 pinch
    (Bottom of the Sea Nectar/Honey)

In a small sauce pan, stir together 1/3 cup water, chicken stock, sake and sugar
Bring to a boil then chill until cold. Grill chicken brast 8 min on both sides then also chill
Boil the soumen for 3 min and leave in cold water untill chilled
Spead watercress shitake and radish around the soumen. Slice the chicken breast thin and fan ontop of the soumen
add the bottom of the sea honey into the sauce before serving
Pour the sauce generously.

Go go Delicious chef!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see the main point in here is the last ingrdients translation, that kanji is definitely NOT Crab. It's Nectar/Honey. It's a little tricky to translate the last kanji there because it has no direct translation in english.

The closest you can get would be Hachi mitsu or Bee Nectar 蜂蜜 You can say amost the same thing with a flower. Flowers have nectar or mitsu but when the bee takes it it becomes Hachimitsu

Kani / Crab

Nectar / Honey

If you can't read the character properly you may need to install the other languages on your system. But here is a Pic to help. even if you can't read kanji you can clearly see the symbols are different.

On another note, this was clearly a not a native Japanese speaker who made this recipe pic. Japanese do not use the words ounces or sauce pans and rarely use Cup as a measurement, it's always cc and grams. Also take a look at the Jar thats closest in the pick. I can't be absolutely certain but those look like the same ingredients you drop into Slusho.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:33 pm
Last edited by Lasher on Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Melampus
Unfettered

Eddy wrote:
Maybe all the numbers in the recipe amount to something: 2, 10, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/3, 2, 1/2, 1/3, 8, 3, 3912

You forgot a "1" between the second "1/2" and "1/3" - for the crab, or rather, nectar/honey. So, it should be:

2, 10, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/3, 2, 1/2, 1, 1/3, 8, 3, 3912

And, Lasher, many, many thanks! Is that deep sea nectar/honey a common (or at least, real) Japanese name/ref. to some real ingredient; or, do you think it's a ref. to the Slusho! ingredient?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:42 pm
Duckie
Unfettered

Yay Lasher! I'm not Japanese expert, and it took me a couple of double takes to make sure it wasn't crab, but it's definitely the honey kanji (I guess the little "hat" is the giveaway)

Melampus wrote:

And, Lasher, many, many thanks! Is that deep sea nectar/honey a common (or at least, real) Japanese name/ref. to some real ingredient; or, do you think it's a ref. to the Slusho! ingredient?

Based on the fact that it looks like an invented way to use that Kanji, I'm gonna say that it is the slusho ingredient.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:50 pm
Lasher
Boot

I updated my post just now to make it easier for people who may not have the characters installed. I used a pic for everyone to see. thanks guys Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:52 pm
Kingpin
Unfettered

Makes you wonder what may be in store in the next few weeks, could be for the moment we're viewing this out of context, a context which will be established if there's a picture next week.

I don't know if that is the case, but I'm interested in seeing what might appear now that the 1-18-08 page updates have started again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:55 pm
Lasher
Boot

Melampus wrote:
Eddy wrote:

You forgot a "1" between the second "1/2" and "1/3" - for the crab, or rather, nectar/honey. So, it should be:

2, 10, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/3, 2, 1/2, 1, 1/3, 8, 3, 3912

No it's in no way common. it absolutely made up. Using the same sort of deduction you would get for other things IE: You can say the same thing with a flower. Flowers have nectar or mitsu but when the bee takes it it becomes Hachimitsu. So they kinda took some liberty here to make it fit the purpose.

I would have to say that this is most certainly a reference to tie things together with ingredient in Slusho

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:56 pm
Duckie
Unfettered

And don't forget, according to slusho.com, the ingredient must be kept cold the entire time to preserve freshness, which is why this is a cool-noodle meal.

Interesting, though. In the cloverfield universe, its NOT just slusho that uses the ingredient found by Ganu. Its people all over Japan.
This challenges a lot of theories that the drink itself is important (i.e. something happens only to characters that drink it), since the ingredient is apparently waaaay more common and, thus, likely to be ingested.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:08 pm
Red Walrus
Unfettered

Thanks Lasher.

It sounds like the secrect ingredient - why can't it be used in other things.

The way it was stressed to keep it cold it makes sense--
Because the ingredient was discovered on the deep
ocean floor, under amazing pressure and in the most extreme cold, Ganu
knew he had to serve the ingredient in a near-frozen state to preserve its
freshness!!

And one fateful day, he and his teammates discovered a deep sea ingredient
unique to anything else!!!! While the team pondered miraculous ways to use it,

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:09 pm
Melampus
Unfettered

if the deap-sea ingredient (we gotta get an abbreviation for that... anyone?) becomes wildly popular in various uses, w/Slusho just being 1 of them, then the theory about the harvesting of this deap-sea ingredient screwing up Bloop's food-supply becomes more plausible. I like that theory, btw - it's got a ring of realism to it that fits with the whole style of the movie.

Speaking of which, gene-splicing, radiation, etc., these are all hackneyed plot devices for monster movies - if it's going to be hyper-realistic, the plot should be something like: "it's a species that's always been around in the deep, deep oceans and we just didn't know about it until now; and, we only know about it now because someone [i.e., Slusho/Noriko/Ganu] upset/woke it, and after a brief reign of mindless, fish-out-of-water havoc, which was to say the least unfortunate for the citizens of NYC, we killed it [or, it just swam away]. Huh... go figure. Anyway, pass the tartar sauce..." That's as 'realistic' as a monster-movie could be.

I dunno, though - I wouldn't be surprised if the Dharma group is somehow behind this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:28 pm
ajaw
Boot

okonomiyake

Though the recipe does not correspond to this dish, it looks like what the chef is displaying could be okonomiyaki- japanese-style "pizza" commonly found in Osaka and Hiroshima? The shape is definitely a bit strange though...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonomiyaki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:29 pm
Page 7 of 16 [234 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: Cloverfield (1-18-08) » Cloverfield: General / Updates
Jump to: