Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:05 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
[TRAILHEAD] Tom Tooman
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 51 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
ncfriend
Unfettered

Great Job Het!!!!

yum! more information to digest! but.. must... do... errands....

***that ripping sound you hear is me tearing myself from in front of the computer***

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:16 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Liquidtouch
Boot

Yeah thats awsome at least we know what we are looking at. I think someone mentioned the idea of native territories but there was no decent map found. I would say yours is a pretty good match. Now what does it all mean.

Liquidtouch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:30 pm
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Yet another update
I think Tom's getting mad :)

Now, the state lines start to "eat away" at the Indian territories, painting them in green...

I still don't get it. Ya hear me, Tooman?! We still don't get it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:34 am
Jubilus
Decorated

Perhaps it is trying to signify how the Indian territories became states. Maybe "time to begin again" is a way of saying he's going to take the states and reconstruct them back into other types of territories?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:13 am
ncfriend
Unfettered

he's advancing time again to bring us back up to the time of the dakota territories. Chicago and Toledo "fires" go away during the Indian Territory map, but now Minneapolis (during it's Indian Territory time) starts smoking!! (hmm that's different)

he's showing the "US" eating up the land that was already established Indian Territories

I'm thinking this game wont lead anywhere (as in other IP addresses, a meta "solve" etc).. except perhaps, research, and education of that part of history, which peeks my interest even more.

(edited to fix reference to the cities that are smoking)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:28 pm
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Message from Tom?
Yet another cryptic update...

So, now we have thin bars with text on them that appear in rapid succession. Here's an image I created by screen caping each bar and gluing them together:
msgfromtom.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   118.63KB
 Viewed   184628 Time(s)

msgfromtom.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:13 am
Last edited by HetMasteen on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ncfriend
Unfettered

good ole Mirriam Webster. Gotta love that gal! Wink

Quote:

hozhq (noun) : [hoe'shk] [navajo amerindian] - the beauty of life, as created and seen by a person, which grows from within a human being and spreads outward to permeate the entire universe (navajo culture is based on this concept and the goal of life is seen as the unity of experience)
Only when one recognizes that hozhq is the goal worth seeking and that choosing to unite one's spirit with nature allows it to be found, can one feel truly happy and at peace. óchristopher j moore, book In Other Words: A Language Lover's..., 2005
Submitted by: jonathan keith sheriff from California on Oct. 25, 2005 21:09

and for hochq, all i can find just glancing though google, is a anthropology journal abstract that refers to hochq as being a state of "ugly conditions" or illness, the opposite of health.

so the two words are opposites. good and evil is probably an oversimplification though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:26 am
Last edited by ncfriend on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
tygr20
Unfettered

ncfriend wrote:
good ole Mirriam Webster. Gotta love that gal! Wink

Quote:

hozhq (noun) : [hoe'shk] [navajo amerindian] - the beauty of life, as created and seen by a person, which grows from within a human being and spreads outward to permeate the entire universe (navajo culture is based on this concept and the goal of life is seen as the unity of experience)
Only when one recognizes that hozhq is the goal worth seeking and that choosing to unite one's spirit with nature allows it to be found, can one feel truly happy and at peace. óchristopher j moore, book In Other Words: A Language Lover's..., 2005
Submitted by: jonathan keith sheriff from California on Oct. 25, 2005 21:09

Look at ncfriend, all up on top of it!! Smile

2 things- Het did it the hard way, with work, etc, and I cheated. I pulled the flash and looked through the sprites to see what the text said, and got something different-

(if that stretches the forum, I'll reembed a link)

There are also 3 independant letters- T, E, and R. Those are layered over "inpreview" making it interview. Big kudos to Het for having the patience to screen cap often enough to pull all those little lines to make a larger piece of the puzzle.

2ndly- ncfriend, maybe you can use your magical defining skills and find out what hochq means as well- that's the letters on the right of the image. Like to know what that means too.

3rdly(I know I said 2 things, whatever)- WTF? Is Tom Tooman taunting us now? "Are you BORED yet?"? Quite frankly, Mr Tooman, I'm bored- give me another damn clue!!

EDIT: Interesting- upon searching '"followers preview" native americans' I'm lead to a page- here- password protected, but titled "Manhood in the Age of Aquarius." Isn't the age of Aquarius supposed to be the end of the world? Didn't the Mayans predict the end of the world in 2012? Is this coincidence?

@tygr20
www.tygr20.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:33 am
ncfriend
Unfettered

Quote:

2ndly- ncfriend, maybe you can use your magical defining skills and find out what hochq means as well- that's the letters on the right of the image. Like to know what that means too.

bahahah ;-D look up there /|\
...........................................|

this game/experience/arg is like walking by a really good bakery when you've not had anything to eat all day..... but never getting to go in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:43 am
HetMasteen
Unfettered

You know, tygr got me thinking...

What the hell does that message mean? It's just more cryptic dead end nonsense, followed by an obvious taunt, no less.

What are we supposed to make of this?
I've been hearing some talk lately from forum 'grown-ups' about previous attempts at wasting ARGers' time. While I doubt this is one of those (since way too much time and effort were put into this), I'm not sure what we should make of this.
Are there any forum elders reading this thread who can share their opinion on this? It's just that the player base is getting progressively more frustrated, and this new update isn't making it any better.

I guess all I want is someone with some experience to come along and give us some encouragement. Either that or an answer to this map locked in a riddle locked in an enigma.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:50 am
Last edited by HetMasteen on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
tygr20
Unfettered

I could see this being a falsified ARG. It seems that everytime we speculate about something, or start to get frustrated and talk about the game, we get a pointless update. Now that our spec revolves around Native Americans, we get an NA update(the territories). Now we get a cold slap in the face with the whole "Are you BORED yet?" thing. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the Philoshopher wasn't really involved in this, and just jacking with us. All I know for sure is that this is frustrating the hell out of me. Tom Tooman is teaching me patience in waiting for meaningful updates(or really, just updates)- so where are they?? What does this all mean???

@tygr20
www.tygr20.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:56 am
HetMasteen
Unfettered

HetMasteen wrote:
It's just that the player base is getting progressively more frustrated, and this new update isn't making it any better.

tygr20 wrote:
I could see this being a falsified ARG. It seems that everytime we speculate about something, or start to get frustrated and talk about the game, we get a pointless update. Now that our spec revolves around Native Americans, we get an NA update(the territories). Now we get a cold slap in the face with the whole "Are you BORED yet?" thing. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the Philoshopher wasn't really involved in this, and just jacking with us. All I know for sure is that this is frustrating the hell out of me. Tom Tooman is teaching me patience in waiting for meaningful updates(or really, just updates)- so where are they?? What does this all mean???

The defense rests, you honor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:01 am
myf
Entrenched

I honestly don't know if it's all just mucking about. But perhaps the "are you BORED now?" is a nudge? Just an idea based on the chance of it being a pun - do those locations which have been picked out on the map have any history of oil, or mining, or similar?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:15 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 ICQ Number 
HetMasteen
Unfettered

myf wrote:
I honestly don't know if it's all just mucking about. But perhaps the "are you BORED now?" is a nudge? Just an idea based on the chance of it being a pun - do those locations which have been picked out on the map have any history of oil, or mining, or similar?

Thanks, myf.
I looked at those places on Google Earth, and they just look like random places. Most are in fields, some are country roads. Just random spots on a map. Their only significance was that they are on state line intersections.

I have another thought on all this:
Tomorrow is the first day of Ch'en. The month of Mol was basically a month in which the map evolved to it's current schizophrenic nightmare state. Maybe this message signals the closure of this stage and the move to a new one (something like: "Are you bored yet? No? Ok, let's move on then").
For this we have to wait until midnight, but what else are we gonna do?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:56 pm
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Another Update
Morse code!

Now the green horizontal state lines have a string of Morse code in them:

.-/.-././-.--/---/..-/.-

which translates to AREYOUA.

Are you A what?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Page 51 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
Jump to: