Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:21 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
[TRAILHEAD] Tom Tooman
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 40 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, ..., 54, 55, 56  Next
HetMasteen
Unfettered

TFontaine wrote:
I've got no technical skills either, so I can't help ya with the map images.

I've been trying to figure out what the "dots" would have been signifying around the 1860s, but it's difficult to find any good maps. Native Americans, it seems, weren't fond of maps. I did find this, however:
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item.pl

Looks like the dots are in the old territories of the Ojibwa(or Ottawa), Menomini, and Winnebago tribes. I looking around to see if I can find anything more on them now.

Also, I can't remember if this was brought up before, but the actual guy Red Cloud, was born in North Platte NE. I'm trying to find a link between him and all this other stuff, but nothing's jumping out yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cloud

I think we found some link between the Maya and Ojibwa (sometimes spelled Ojibwe) languages on #tomtooman the other day. I can't be sure of this, and I'll have to ask GCDOA when he shows up. I think their glyph systems were similar (we found similarities between all Mesoamerican languages, and some links between them and some Native American cultures).

Maybe the Ojibwa are our clue. Tried some URL fishing... nothing came up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:13 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
mortality
Unfettered

What's the connection to the Ojibwa? They didn't really live in the parts of the country that are associated with the clues. Their lands were more from Michigan and east than Wisconsin and west.

They had some territory in North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, but the Lakota and Cheyenne are more associated with the lands in the map. As mentioned before, the locations used on the envelope are both names of Lakota/Sioux who fought at Little Big Horn.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:21 pm
ArchaicDome
Veteran

language

And my family, unfortunately, is within the Algonquin language group, which is not a pictograph language like the Ojibwe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:26 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HetMasteen
Unfettered

mortality wrote:
What's the connection to the Ojibwa? They didn't really live in the parts of the country that are associated with the clues. Their lands were more from Michigan and east than Wisconsin and west.

They had some territory in North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, but the Lakota and Cheyenne are more associated with the lands in the map. As mentioned before, the locations used on the envelope are both names of Lakota/Sioux who fought at Little Big Horn.

Well, the small dots that appeared after the Ajkin update (they look like someone drew tight circles with a pen, doesn't it?) are mostly in Wisconsin and Michigan, mostly near lake Michigan and lake Superior.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:28 pm
Last edited by HetMasteen on Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArchaicDome
Veteran

Lakes

GASP- You're moving to America? Groovy! There are five lakes in that general area- which lake is it, position-wise? Again, I can't see the maps y'all are talking about.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DeadbyDawn
Unfettered

Ojibwe
connection

Just to clear things up. I've been hunting down these connections to a few days now.
The Potawatomi, Ojibwe, and Ottawa tribes were in an alliance in the 1700's called the "Council of Three Fires". All speak Algonquian, The Algonquian language has a 14 character alphabet. At some point the Ojibwe had a hieroglyphic set but I haven't been able to track it down.
The Lakota are also Algonquian speakers but, I'm not sure of there connection in that time period.

www.tolatsga.org/pota.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potawatomi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:39 pm
mortality
Unfettered

Has anyone taken a look at the Flash source code? Might be of some help.

The dots aren't near towns with names that have obvious relevance. The dots in NE Wisconsin and the UP are near state or national parks. The dots in the Wisconsin peninsula jutting into Lake Superior don't appear near anything obvious.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:43 pm
ncfriend
Unfettered

Re: Dots

ArchaicDome wrote:
Alas, I have a brain full of historical information, but no way to see these "dots." I'm going to blame it on being at work, but I probably wouldn't be able to at home either (because of an amazing lack of technical ability- when people ask me what kind of computer I have I reply with "A silver one..."). Perhaps someone can post a map overlaid with the dots? And maybe a map overlaid with the cloud thingys?

can you go to this page: http://random.despoiler.org/index.php?title=Trailhead:Tom_Tooman

the maps are on the "GOES Images" page

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:51 pm
ArchaicDome
Veteran

Dude.

K. Looked at the maps. Can't brain what the dots mean, or the cloud things. Those cloud formations HAVE to mean something, neh? They be so pre-cise...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:04 pm
Giskard
Sassypants

Good detective work all around here people...

The problem we seem to be having now is that we have no idea what to do with all the speculation and possible related information or even how to verify we're on the right path... I mean, are we looking for a new website, are we looking for a page on ajkin.net, are we looking for someone to e-mail, or a password, etc.

Wouldn't you agree that our best guess might be that we're looking for another keyword or keyphrase to input into the "barcode" textbox? Has anyone tried entering any other information there after we discovered the 'red cloud' passphrase?

The thing with this game so far is that it is done very 'clean', and there have been no hints, clues or leads so far, for example, hidden in the page source or deductible from filenames. This makes me think that the passphrase-input box on ajkin.net might be used for more than unlocking just the one page we found now... unless that's been disproved by the decompiling of the flash? (It might just link to another Flash file or page after a correct passphrase?)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:54 pm
 ICQ Number 
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Giskard wrote:
Good detective work all around here people...

The problem we seem to be having now is that we have no idea what to do with all the speculation and possible related information or even how to verify we're on the right path... I mean, are we looking for a new website, are we looking for a page on ajkin.net, are we looking for someone to e-mail, or a password, etc.

Wouldn't you agree that our best guess might be that we're looking for another keyword or keyphrase to input into the "barcode" textbox? Has anyone tried entering any other information there after we discovered the 'red cloud' passphrase?

The thing with this game so far is that it is done very 'clean', and there have been no hints, clues or leads so far, for example, hidden in the page source or deductible from filenames. This makes me think that the passphrase-input box on ajkin.net might be used for more than unlocking just the one page we found now... unless that's been disproved by the decompiling of the flash? (It might just link to another Flash file or page after a correct passphrase?)

Well, I've given this much thought myself.
Given this game's clean and streamlined nature, I tried to turn our clues into different passwords on ajkin.com, which led me to a conclusion: It seems to me that we have a missing link between our clues and this password. I doubt we'll just discover that one of the dots on the sat map was located on jumping frog reservation (I just made that one up for dramatic effect), and just enter "jumping frog" in the text box. I believe there might be a missing link of sorts. i.e a clue will lead us to a site with more barcodes, or something like that. All clues so far have been very sleek, and I doubt they'll revert to something as clumsy as password fishing... doesn't really add much that Giskard hasn't said, but I thought I'd maybe save some of you hours and hours of frustrating password guesses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:07 pm
tygr20
Unfettered

Offering useless help, once again :)

Taking off from where Giskard was talking about the flash, I'm no expert in flash, but from breaking it down I can safely say we've seen everything there is to see within ajkin for now. I don't think another password will give us anything right now. Interestingly- within test.swf, the map image has changed altogether. There's no wasted info within the file- for now. Anyone with flash experience care to take a second look? I'm clueless when it comes to the scripts.

@tygr20
www.tygr20.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:10 pm
drizjr
Unfictologist

xnbomb posted the Mayan translation of ajkin as "priest, diviner". A google search of "aj k'in" mayan further reveals that this means "The Sun Priest".
The letters that SpaceBass and Scrappy received mentioned the Sun God.
Just further confirmation of whose the author of the site.

Having said that, it makes me wonder, where in the www is Tom 2man?.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:37 am
ncfriend
Unfettered

fabulous 1860s Map of Wi/Mi

Fabo 1860 map here:
http://www.davidrumsey.com/maps2914.html

also there's an interesting 1835 US Map by Barber, BB & Willard,A. that you might want to take a look at... check out the directory of maps at this site.

eta.. remind me never to tell yall about a site till i'm finished with it... wowsers did the server start dragging or WHAT?

also eta: i know this may be too obvious to be anything but what about BAYS? Sister Bay and Sturgeon Bay are on the peninsula beside Green Bay. Bayfield(a city) and Chequamegon Bay is at La Pointe, Wi, and the dot smack dab in between Escanaba and Haiawatha SP, is between Portage Bay and Bay de NOC. I know that's about as generic as saying LIGHTHOUSES...but it was a passing thought....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:13 am
mortality
Unfettered

Re: fabulous 1860s Map of Wi/Mi

ncfriend wrote:

also eta: i know this may be too obvious to be anything but what about BAYS?...I know that's about as generic as saying LIGHTHOUSES...but it was a passing thought....

The problem is we haven't figured out what we need to be looking for. A new password for the ajkin site? A new website altogether? Without that, no matter what the clues are, we'll struggle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:30 am
Page 40 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, ..., 54, 55, 56  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
Jump to: