Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:34 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: MetaCortechs » MetaCortechs: General/Updates
[META]Metacortex - Reviews
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
niobexrev
Unfettered

[META]Metacortex - Reviews

Let me know if I'm missing something. Because I'm gonna post this at Cinecon when it finally gets fixed.

Well, it wasn’t Matrix™, but it was matrix related. It was the most fantastic fan fiction ever. That is my review. I remember watching “The Matrix Revisited” and seeing that one of the documentaries was about fans and fanfiction. Due to the popularity of the Metacortex Alternate Reality Game, it’s not a stretch to say that if they release another “Revisited” video/dvd this ARG will be included. The Wachowski Brothers or WB affiliated will have no doubt heard about this and all but opt to interview the puppet masters.

The end of the story

In the spirit of “The Matrix” it was open ended. In a poll taken by the players of this ARG, most said that while they enjoyed it, they wished it hadn’t ended. I would not have changed the ending myself. I thought it was very well done.

Wongmo, or whoever he is, was suspected to be a faker and stealing people’s money. It turned out that he was also Leiphe and Leo Kane, and that his REAL name was Arnold Quentin Niehoffer.

Beth McConnell has ended her Little Boxes and she is left questioning her reality ([url= http://www.little-boxes.net/log]her logs[/url]).

Kathy Cunningham (the current employee of the month) is either missing or dead.

Ethan has lost his wife (also either dead or missing). But he found new friends including Jesse and Jesse’s band of hackers or “Urchins” (who are the creators of Paintover). Ethan and his new friends are now on the run from the “monitors” or agents.

The game is over. But the story is not…

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:55 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
MetalGoldKnight
Greenhorn

When did they say anything about what happened to Kathy? Also, did the whole thing with Wongmo/Kane/Leiphe fit into anything with Metacortex at all? And what was the point of Cascade Vortex and Life and Casuality?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:07 pm
Flynn
Decorated

Just a thought, but in almost every movie/book/play etc there are secondary characters and events that lend a little flavour to the proceedings but don't actually serve any major purpose. I can't help thinking that AQN, Kat, Aquapolis and so on fall into this category. They gave us a couple bits of info that were useful or interesting but apart from that they weren't important.

'course, they could also be used in any future game Wink

*living in hope*

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:18 pm
erekose
Veteran

Can't belive it's over....

I didn't like the ending at first, but the more I think about it, the better it seems. thanks to the PM's for creating a game so immersive I spent six weeks of my life ignoring everything else (for example, the higher school certificate exams I was SUPPOSED to be studying for. If I don't get into uni, I'm blaming YOU PM's Twisted Evil .).

Now I am going to get some sleep and go slowly insane with ARG withdrawal symptoms.

Metacortechs: Reloaded anyone? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:03 am
Dark_Niles
Boot

I think if people think of this ARG as more of 'interactive fan faction' rather than just a game, they will get more out of it. It didn't end like a game ends, it ends like a story ends. After I thought about that I was much more content with how it ended.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:52 pm
Zimbu
Veteran

Evil or Very Mad EXTREMLEY ANNOYED! Evil or Very Mad

It's very easy to forgive the PM's for the let down they have caused a lot of players; because they put a lot of effort in, did it all for free and etc. etc. etc.

Sorry though, but that's just excuses. The story started off fantastic, the clues and information to search was massive. The interactions and amount of characters seem impressivley complex.

Unfortunatley, this gave a false impression of how long the Metacortex plot was about to run; anding in an abupt finish that left me feeling cheated out of all the time I had spent "Catching Up".

I get the feeling the PM's don't realise how much time and effort so many of their fans put in to go over the clues with a fine tooth comb, how much their material was going to be scrutinized. How many hours their puzzles can make the enthusiast back home bash their head looking at the same image.

To end it this way and this abrubtly is an insult. If they didn't want to finish it properly, they should never have started it. I feel humiliated; so many of the people I have told about MetaCortex complimented me on finding an interest that stretched the mind and provided entertainment on a new level... now I feel I have been lying. What started as a detective mystery very quickly degenerated into a pure puzzle fest.

I feel cheated out of the end game.
I feel let down and very upset.
I feel like a f***ing moron for putting so much faith in the PMs not to foul up.

Why didn't they just close down Life and Casuality or just place a holder sign, anything that wasn't a udername and password? What the hell were they thinking stylizing the Oct 1st Picture to look like a puzzle? Where was the climax?

No praise and no thanks for what turned out to be a complete farce. I used to be impressed because I thought I was looking at the beginning, the build up.

Now that I've found it's the end, I feel "So What". This is nothing special; The old computer game 7th Guest was far more intriguing.

The whole thing is a tremendous waste of my time.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

[EDIT]

I think looking on this whole debacle as fan fiction is even worse... because the story line is cliched and weak.

The only thing that can cheer me up now is a photo of Beth dressed as Mrs. Claus (I'd frame it and display it >Very Happy ), and I don't think ANYONE is that talented with paint shop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:13 am
Last edited by Zimbu on Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
XtRaVa
Unfettered

sucks...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:15 am
Zimbu
Veteran

XtRaVa wrote:
sucks...

Sure does. I think I'll sell my PC.

They wasted so much of what they set-up. It had have gone on for MONTHS...

Sad(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:20 am
joebrent
Unfettered

Were you guys the ones throwing hamburgers at David Blaine?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:33 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ParityBit
Decorated

joebrent wrote:

Hey, the game was interesting (and I liked it, just thought it should have gone on for much longer). A fool in a box is very, very dull...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:50 am
Nursie
Boot

I did enjoy playing the game at times, and mostly just lurking, watching and thinking "Wow Cool", But, as much as I hate to join in with the PM bashing........

Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad

That ending sucks!
Phil Gairden and Wongmo/leiphe/leokane/Schuffhausen were pointless,
Murpha was mostly irrelevant,
The Aquapolis was there just to kill kat.

There was so much in this, all along it looked like a grand game of many threads, all coming to a great techno-spiritual ending, tieing everything together, culminating perhaps in the downfall of metacortechs, showing their involvement and collusion with 'The Matrix' or wherever this was set.

Instead I go away for the weekend and find out that the threads haven't been brought together, half the in-game sites were totally irrelevant, most of our questions are unanswered but the game is over nonetheless.

Congrats to the PMs for coming up with a few decent puzzles.
Congrats to the PMs for getting so many people interested with what seemed to be a huge and grand vision of a game.

But dammit! That ending s-u-c-k-s.
And the game was so much smaller than it should have been.

Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:11 am
Last edited by Nursie on Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Nursie
Boot

joebrent wrote:

I was there in spirit. We british tend not to like conceited and self important dullards displaying themselves as some form of god in the centre of our capital. Especially when his "magic" trick or whatever it was is actualy pretty pointless. I mean, who really cares if some idiot starves themselves in a box for a while? Far more fun to throw things at them than take them seriously.............

EDIT: remove unintentional xenophobia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:13 am
Last edited by Nursie on Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
joebrent
Unfettered

Quote:
We british tend not to like conceited and self important foreigners displaying themselves as some form of god in the centre of our capital.

That's not just a British thing, we think he's an idiot over here too. Heck, in New York we throw hamburgers at the president when his motorcade ties up midtown traffic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:43 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zimbu
Veteran

David Blaine.

The guy starves himself in perspex box.

I see nothing clever or amazing about that.

It was just a Cunning Stunt. Or was that a Stunning... Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:12 am
Insomniac
Decorated

Zimbu wrote:
David Blaine.

The guy starves himself in perspex box.

I see nothing clever or amazing about that.

It was just a Cunning Stunt. Or was that a Stunning... Twisted Evil

No no you guys you got it all wrong Blaine was "testing the limits of the human body".... (or maybe he was just a weirdo in a box Very Happy )....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:03 pm
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: MetaCortechs » MetaCortechs: General/Updates
Jump to: