Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:01 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: World Without Oil
[TRAILHEAD] worldwithoutoil.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 44 [647 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 42, 43, 44  Next
DJP3DRO
Boot

[TRAILHEAD] worldwithoutoil.org

www.worldwithoutoil.org

Got it from the Destructoid gaming blog.

Quote:
Jane McGonigal, who easily sheds the “developers all live in caves and are (rightly) terrified of their own ghastly visages” image that the industry has harbored for so long, spoke earlier today about collaborative games, and the effect they will theoretically have on the world as we know it. She was one of the main people behind that Halo 2 advergame I Love Bees, that became a huge phenomenon a few years back, and she postulates that Collective Intelligence, the confluence of huge groups of people via a digital medium in order to play games and solve problems, can be developed through such games, and used to predict and shape the future. Yeah, it gets kinda deep, so if any of you are busy ironing your drool bib, you might wanna just skip over to the next post.

Hit the jump if you’d like to go deeper into the rabbit’s hole.

I Love Bees was a huge success. Not only did it create amazing viral buzz for Halo 2, it also united literally hundreds of thousands of people toward the common goal of solving the beekeeping website gone mad.

In case you missed it, the synopsis of the whole thing is that the website in question appeared to have been overtaken by hackers, and as word spread of it, it became this tremendously successful viral puzzle, with nearly a million visits throughout the four months or so that it took the general public to solve it. People were compelled to form into collectives, all on their own, to interpret the meager clues presented by the developers, and through solving them, they then affected the course of the game itself, figuratively, and also literally, in so much as the developers created forty percent of the game after it had already gone live in reaction to players’ actions.

The really stunning bit is how utterly widespread it all became, as, like I said, ****tons of people logged on in order to solve a puzzle, that had no obvious goal, using math, geography, some of that fancy book-learnin’ and good, old fashioned voodoo. Ms. McGonigal believes that the innate ability for such an ambiguous, worldwide game to inspire people to learn and use new skills can be applied in the classroom, as well as in the business world.

To conclude her talk, she dropped a hint as to her newest project. While she didn't tell us much, I can direct you guys to worldwithoutoil.org.

The crow flies at midnight (on April 30th).

Starts April 30th. I may be joining this one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:35 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Esteed
Entrenched

Clicking the "Nico" link at the top takes you to what appears to be a screengrab of a message board or chatroom of some type.
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."" -Rorschach

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nabi
Boot

Looks like it might be interesting. And ever since WI died, I've been without an ARG to play... I'll definitely check it out when it starts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:43 pm
dposse
Entrenched

looks interesting. i might get into it if it appeals to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:48 pm
GalvanicSpiral
Unfettered

Hmm...a post-apocalyptic public service announcement ARG? Sounds cool, at least. I will be keeping a close eye on this one. Wink

Playing: Institute for Future Medicine

Lurking: In the Shadows...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:17 pm
Esteed
Entrenched

I've got the site bookmarked. Now just counting down 'til April 30th.
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."" -Rorschach

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

awesome. it was mentioned on the festcast...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:22 pm
schummbo
Veteran

This sounds like an awesome idea.. and done properly, could be a very USEFUL arg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:02 pm
Mountain Girl
Unfettered

From MTV News: Gamefile

Quote:
Near the end of the panel, McGonigal announced her next ARG, previewed at WorldWithoutOil.org. Launching April 30, it will challenge gamers in 30 parts of the U.S. to blog and otherwise communicate their experiences in an imaginary America where the oil supply has dried up. In the process of playing, gamers may be blogging about how they planned a wedding to which no guests could travel in vehicles requiring oil-based fuels. "What is dating like?" she asked. "What is cooking like?" The goal is to get people thinking and maybe even generating new energy-saving strategies, all just by playing. "I'm looking at this as a game that changes reality," she said.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:09 pm
Jalathas
Decorated

I'm definitely watching this one, and I'm gonna try to draw in some of my politically-minded friends.
What was asked is given; the price is paid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:10 pm
rose
...and then Magic happens

Quote:
"What is dating like?" she asked. "What is cooking like?"

More to the point, what would ARGFest be like?

We started to kick around some ideas of how we would get to London for an ARGFest if there was no more oil, and we had to sail, collectively as a group to London - a new festquest.

What would we need to learn? What skills do we have already that would help us get there?

We figured someone already knows celestial navigation and has a sextant. OK, we assumed that person would be Brienigma, but it could be anyone.

What else do we need to know?

Mankind was my business, the common good was my business.~ Dickens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:38 pm
Esteed
Entrenched

How to fight, because undoubtedly we'd need to protect whatever resources we had from other groups seeking similar resources. Sad fact of life it may be, but if we want to keep what we've got in a situation like that, we'll need to do more than just say, "Don't take my shit, please?!"

Wilderness survival. People with no skill in that area (myself included) are relatively safe traveling through the wilderness in a car, because you are A.) protected and B.) guided along a fairly straightforward path. Without A, though, people like me could be in for a world of hurt when it comes time to put up or shut up. I don't mean the common sense stuff, like, "If you see a bear, RUN!" I mean recognizing poisonous plants, hunting, that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:44 pm
negativeview
Decorated

Esteed wrote:
Clicking the "Nico" link at the top takes you to what appears to be a screengrab of a message board or chatroom of some type.

Not that it likely matters, but that's actually Adium, an instant-messenger for Mac OS X. So it's an AIM-log.
http://www.argtechnologist.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:51 pm
nunyo
Boot

This sounds like fun. Can't wait for April to come around.
Quote:
Launching April 30, it will challenge gamers in 30 parts of the U.S. to blog and otherwise communicate their experiences in an imaginary America where the oil supply has dried up.
Imagining the oil was gone eh...? This'll give me something to do during history class.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:28 am
konamouse
Official uF Dietitian

How about looking at what they are having to do in "Jericho"?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:46 am
Page 1 of 44 [647 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 42, 43, 44  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: World Without Oil
Jump to: