Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:38 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Monster Hunter Club
[TRAILHEAD] Monster Hunter Club
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 5 of 10 [145 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
molecularr
Unfettered

I think I figured out the Golden Dragon Puzzle. It's sort of like a book cipher using the list of entities being put on notice by the certificate (mermaids, sharks, etc.). They correspond to the numbers in the code ( 0 - 9 ), and the letter signifies a letter within that word to start from, and the direction indicates to move one letter off of the starting point in that direction, using the list as a grid:

Code:
0 mermaids
1 seaserpents
2 whales
3 sharks
4 dolphins
5 eels
6 skates
7 suckers
8 crabs
9 lobsters

Here's what you get:
Spoiler (Rollover to View):
thetinmanhasdisappearedintotherainbow = the tinman has disappeared into the rainbow

Guess I'll post this on the MHC forum as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:55 am
Last edited by molecularr on Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
 ICQ Number 
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
konamouse
Official uF Dietitian

I have no idea what to do - I don't have the time to read through all the MonsterHunterClub forums....just quickly glanced through whatever Derek was posting....and not really much of that. With konashark home, I barely have time to check the forums these days.

I want to see if any more monsters show up - there should be at least 9 (since that is the highest number from the clues).

Look again at who got the toys - I know all 4 of us were in Sammeeeees. And in CTW.

I like the SPEC on the monster names in those puzzles. I hope more folks come forth this weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:58 am
Sylvia
I Have No Life

Good job molecularr! Way to go!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:06 am
molecularr
Unfettered

Sylvia wrote:
Good job molecularr! Way to go!

Thanks! I just kept staring at it ....

I posted the solve on the MHC forums, but I didn't know if I should post the answer there where they don't have spoiler tags. I emailed it to Matt, though, so we'll see what he thinks. Based on the information in the journals, my guess is it could be referring to Dr. T.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:14 am
 ICQ Number 
Sylvia
I Have No Life

Chat #mhc

Everyone SpaceBass has set up a chat room for us in #mhc

http://www.unfiction.com/chat/?chan=mhc so get on over there now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:24 am
molecularr
Unfettered

Oh, and I just realized what the 8 - 11 - 6 - 6 , etc. series is for. Each one is the number of letters in a word in the sequence used for the solve. So 8 = mermaids (8 letters), 11 = sea serpents (11 letters), and so on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:11 am
 ICQ Number 
Rorschach
Veteran

molecularr wrote:
Oh, and I just realized what the 8 - 11 - 6 - 6 , etc. series is for. Each one is the number of letters in a word in the sequence used for the solve. So 8 = mermaids (8 letters), 11 = sea serpents (11 letters), and so on.

Kudos Molecularr! On this as well as the earlier solve!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:42 am
RedHatty
Unfictologist

[EMAIL] With Derek
via PMs on the MHC forum - LONG

So, I had PM'd Derek about the figurines, before I got one
Quote:
Derek,

Did you also have posters in your collection? A few of my friends have recently received what looks like pieces of your collection in the mail. I will ask them about return addresses, but maybe we can work together to find out who took them before they are all given away to strangers.

Red

Derek replies:
Quote:
No, I didn't have posters. That's weird, somebody else PM'd me about a friend getting my stuff in the mail...

Thanks for your help!

-D

My Response
Quote:
Oh, A few of my friends have joined your forum lately, since we talked about the missing collection. We are all willing to help, BTW

From Derek
Quote:
Great, thanks!

Then, I got Bigfoot in the mail & wrote
Quote:
Derek, I received your Bigfoot today! Do you want it back? Let me know, I'll be happy to send it to you! Return address on it is Magnolia Pictures New York, NY.

Derek replies
Quote:
WTF? That's weird.

Nah, you seem like a nice person who will probably give him a good home, so just go ahead and keep him. I'd probably never get to really enjoy him anyway, packed up in a closet.

Was there anything else with the package?

-D

My response
Quote:
Yes there was. A puzzle - which I have NO IDEA how to solve. I put a scan of it on my flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/redhatty/370132528/

Thanks for letting me keep it - it's really sweet. I guess you can take me out of the bigfoot drawing & give better odds tothe rest of the entrants, I already have one

Red

Derek again replies
Quote:
Aww, what a sweetheart you are!

Thanks for the link -- don't think I've ever seen a puzzle like that before. And "courtesy of MHC"...??? This is all getting kinda freaky now.

I'm going to post that pic on the forum, if you don't mind, to see if anybody else has any ideas.

-D

I let him know that i was pretty sure there were already 3 other puzzles out here already & that maybe posting mine on the forum would help 'draw them out'

here's the link to the puzzle he sent me
http://monsterhunterclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=685#685
Edit to add:
Here's the forum post:
Quote:
Okay, this is very weird. My Mom does like to do those sudoku puzzles, but I definitely don't think she'd make one...

RedHatty PM'd me with a scan of a page she received with her package, also containing one of my BF figs. What's even more disturbing to me is that it says "this item courtesy of the monster hunter club" when, uh, it's not. (True, the collectibles were mine, but it was more due to "theft" than "courtesy." If you've gotten one in the mail, though, just go ahead and keep it, it'll probably be happier there than jammed up in a dusty closet anyway.)

This means the theft was definitely perpetrated by someone who knows of me and my club, not just some random break-in. If this is some kind of prank, though, whoever's doing it is going to a lot of trouble. Most of the people I know and hang out with don't have that kind of time, and would probably rather burn me by putting my hand in a bowl of warm water after I fall asleep. I'm not sure if this is some kind of weird new wrinkle on ID theft or what, but I think I'll be changing all my PIN numbers today, thank you very much.

Any ideas, gang? Seems like there are some really good puzzle solvers here lately (I see Matt's certificate has been decoded). This is all kinda starting to freak me out...

and then the puzzle

So, all you figurine recipients, let Derek know & see if he wants to post your puzzles too!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:30 pm
konamouse
Official uF Dietitian

I will not be joining the MHC forum so feel free to point Derek to http://www.konamouse.blogspot.com/ where I have posted pictures of the Bigfoot and the puzzle that came in my box from "Magnolia Pictures".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:07 pm
Last edited by konamouse on Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
degravedi
Unfictologist

Still no progress huh? -snaps fingers- Darn it I woke up all excited to see f anything had changed. (-dork!-) So, this is bad. What happens if no one else posts the puzzle they've received or if they arn't an ARGer and have no clue whats going on OR if a box just gets lost in the mail? If it really is a clue we need, and the assumptions we've made about the puzzle are correct, then its going to be pretty hard to solve a 9+ letter word with only 4 letters.

Do any of you who got the packages have any idea how he got your addresses? Is there something that you all signed up for in regards to this? I had been assuming that you'd given your addresses as the entries in his bigfoot giveaway contest, but Konamouse never joined the MHC forums.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:31 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 ICQ Number 
molecularr
Unfettered

degravity wrote:
What happens if no one else posts the puzzle they've received or if they arn't an ARGer and have no clue whats going on OR if a box just gets lost in the mail? If it really is a clue we need, and the assumptions we've made about the puzzle are correct, then its going to be pretty hard to solve a 9+ letter word with only 4 letters.

I wouldn't worry too much yet. All the packages arrived on Friday, right? Lots of people can't (or don't) check mail on Saturdays, and nobody gets it on Sundays. So I'd expect there'll be a few more deliveries tomorrow. Still, they're not doing us too much good until we can solve the individual puzzles, and as far as I can tell, evidence points to them being solveable individually. Of course, the more we have, the more likely we'll be able to notice patterns and test theories, but I suspect we have what we need already if we can just figure out what to do with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:30 pm
 ICQ Number 
degravedi
Unfictologist

Here's a fifth (No. 8 ) puzzle that CastleDweller just posted on the MHC forums at http://monsterhunterclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137
8.jpg
 Description   Puzzle #8
 Filesize   53.55KB
 Viewed   149 Time(s)

8.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 ICQ Number 
ALISDAIRPARK
Unfictologist

For most of the grids, the number given below it does not appear in the grid. I think there is one (with a 2 below) that the number does appear.

My charity page: http://www.justgiving.com/alisdairpark3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:05 pm
danteIL
Unfictologist

ALISDAIRPARK wrote:
For most of the grids, the number given below it does not appear in the grid. I think there is one (with a 2 below) that the number does appear.

The numbers 1-7 each appear twice in each grid. Therefore, if the number below is greater than 7 (i.e., 8 or 9), then it won't appear in the grid.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:16 pm
ALISDAIRPARK
Unfictologist

danteIL wrote:
The numbers 1-7 each appear twice in each grid. Therefore, if the number below is greater than 7 (i.e., 8 or 9), then it won't appear in the grid.

EDIT: Deleting my misread deductions. I was thrown because some of the numbers had been replaced by letters in the pic on the last page.

My charity page: http://www.justgiving.com/alisdairpark3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:40 am
Page 5 of 10 [145 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Monster Hunter Club
Jump to: