Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:38 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Ny Takma
[PUZZLEs] Translanting The Lanti Langage
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
Sylvia
I Have No Life

[PUZZLEs] Translanting The Lanti Langage

Using this as a starting point and the wiki http://nytakma.wikibruce.com/page/Lanti

Quote:
spiala verkandon un esetula ra actino srk laku teyailn aladi iraja p arpka flalo talm craah olj fhar ra guakala ny linguala di shundaj mrkzai, ghyra aladi monlj hykyar en gora zinhaj sha skorjin ny trakan.

Which translates to this:
Quote:
Esteemed Citizens I regret to inform you that there has been a dire mistake made in an effort to continue the advancement of our civilization, we have brought spite and fury upon us from the visitors

We can start working on these:
Quote:
Code:
Ra nnra         koldaaj,         jal hasya adjna(c)k ny nukvad.
To preserve (humanity/mankind),  (he) must  unleash  the _____.

Quote:
Code:

Ra nednai ny takma, peynin hasya keilyn ny moquin. Teyailn   vyl   esun   mrkzai      di peynin di  Gai,
To ______ the end,  _____  must  _____ the _____. There  (is/was) _____ civilization  of _______ of ____, 

teyailn   vyl   Lanti,   teyailn   vyl    La,   en masi ust awlyn.
there  (is/was) Atlantis, there (is/was) ___, and ___ ___ ____.

Note: the Her and Him could be just that or proper names and they could be backwards. I was going by the pics at http://746865656e64.com/ and assuming. Yes, I know about assuming. But at this point that's all we really have.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:33 am
Last edited by Sylvia on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Sylvia
I Have No Life

And from here: http://746865656e64.com/

Quote:
Code:
DUCENTI

Lanti      vyl    p shantilan lafvyl hj ny tilnlyl ksi acktrol etshundan.
Atlantis (is/was) a _________ ______ __ the _____  ___ _______ _________.

Ruk peynin srk esutl smilan thyr jalun srk ra  ny  ishka di ny eutshoo.
___ _____  you ____  _____  ___  ____  you to the  ____  of the _____.

He fathered the child despite her unknown origins, genuinely loving her.
(placed here to keep it in context with the main page)

Code:
Ny  atunama tei hyk, yshk srk hasya tollen en trikara  kol  di kon kanjal katutel.
The ______  ___ ___, for  you  must _____ and _______  him  of his  _____ _______.

Ny  gharsharn  kol  tolkna monlj j kon fejatala. Mshn klyk shorm  kol yshk  ny   kayk   di kon ponkhn.
The daughter   him  _____  ____ __ his ________. ____ ____ _____  him  for  the _______ of his ______.

OTCOSEX

A little treat for those who took the time to read this. I had posted this in the rabbit hole thread but it has gone missing without an explanation. So here it is for your viewing pleasure again. Click on it for a larger view and bookmark it in case it goes missing again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:46 am
Last edited by Sylvia on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
mcreed
Greenhorn

As i posted in the chat before, I'd say that the words "Lanti", "La" and "Gai" refer to persons. And since Lanti and La use the same "base" it could be "father" and "son" or something similar. Guessed by the graphics on the 7xxx page: showing and old man in the lanti tab, a young man in the La tab and a girl in the gai tab. When Kendras blog was discovered the gai tab changed to her poem, so we still need to find another character since La shows an error...

So another version COULD be:
Code:

teyailn   vyl   Lanti,   teyailn   vyl    La,   en masi ust awlyn.
there  was [the] father, there was [the] son, and ___ ___ ____.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:45 am
James Stone
Decorated

I would be careful making assumptions on words based on their similarity to other words in the language. There are a few words we have now that are similar in the unknown language yet share no resemblance when translated into English:

guakala = continue
linguala = advancement
spiala = esteemed

I know the similarities are not in the base of the words, but I still think it is worth considering.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:55 am
molecularr
Unfettered

We should really be careful about making assumptions at all, since yshk has repeatedly berated us for doing so. In fact, I think we should avoid posting translations on the language page until we're 100% sure. Even an almost-right speculation, bearing the weight of authority by being listed on the wiki might lead us far astray.

mcreed wrote:
As i posted in the chat before, I'd say that the words "Lanti", "La" and "Gai" refer to persons.

We've known for some time now that Lanti = Atlantis. Please read the language page. I think you're right, though, that these are proper nouns. And I'd say that in addition to Lanti being the kingdom of Atlantis, it might also be the King of Atlantis. Something like how in Hamlet the king of Norway is named Old Norway.

I think we should only make guesses where they might lead us to another clue. For example, we have "the blood of the king" as a phrase from /curiosity. In the text from the Yhsk Lanti page, we have the phrase "the ishka of the eutshoo", which might be followed by "He fathered the child despite her unknown origins, genuinely loving her". So if the antecedent to "He" is in the previous sentence, it might be "king", and we might be able to say that "the ishka of the eutshoo" = "the blood of the king". I don't think we should state that "ishka" = blood or "eutshoo" = king, but those would be good guesses if we figure out what the blood of the king holds the key to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:07 am
 ICQ Number 
jsquared
Boot

hello again everyone....I'm glad to hear of the chat success...I'm struggling to keep up with everything....

I was looking into linguistic research and the idea occurred to me that if this was a created languge, then maybe I should research the process of the creation of a language...

I Googled "create your own language" and came up with this...

http://www.zompist.com/kit.html

It's very in-depth, and I'm going to try and take what we know and work backwards...It should be a very difficult task, but I'm up for the challenge...

Do you think this is worth a try? I don't want to go off on another tangent...I've already bounced all over looking for clues so much that I am way behind....

I have also thought about writing a linguistics professor if I can find a good one...someone that might be able to break it for us....kind of like this Bryan we keep hearing about....if Hank can do it, why can't we?

Thanks for keeping everything up to date....it's helping me catch up...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:27 pm
molecularr
Unfettered

Yeah, that zompist stuff looks interesting. Very detailed. It's probably worth looking at, but from where we are right now, I'm thinking that Lanti is more like cipher of English. That is, instead of letters standing in for letters, we have whole Lanti words standing in for whole English words. In other words, I'm not yet convinced that Lanti has features as complex as gendered nouns, cases, declensions, and so on. Looking at Verdurian might, however, help you determine if there is any logic to it beyond the English word = Lanti word conversion we're seeing so far.

Also, it may not hurt to get a professional linguist's opinion, but it may not help either. Unless this prof is someone you know, I'd be surprised if they reply at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:06 pm
 ICQ Number 
fragment
Boot

Just another speculation about the Lanti/La/Gai: Could it be that La actually means "Atlas"? Since Lanti -> AT(lanti)S, La -> AT(la)S seems somehow reasonable.

This would lead to "For Atlantis, for Atlas, for Earth", also the picture on the "Yshk La" tab may very well be the picture of a king...

[WILD SPECULATION]
Actually, the "Atlantis = daughter of Atlas" connection makes me wonder if Kenra is actually a daughter of Atlas. This would fit into the picture on /curiosity/, where it says "the blood of the king holds the key": the picture on the right is the blurred version of Kenra, carrying the blood of Atlas, king of Atlantis.
[/WILD SPECULATION]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:17 pm
ancalime
Unfettered

Interesting! I hadn't thought of that, though I was just talking to Sylvia about how Kendra seems to be the daughter of the king of Atlantis.

>> @ancalime | tumblr: galacticdrift <<

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:42 pm
 ICQ Number 
fragment
Boot

I tried to transcribe the hand-written code in understanding.jpg based on the last three lines saying

"teyailn = there"
"esetula = regret"
"gora = fury".

Most characters can be worked out. The ones I'm unsure with are (marked):

Spoiler (Rollover to View):

un ytar un k(i/l)yu kyr(p)(r/f/?)n ny (j)(r/f/?)an
nympar ikuk, esotot (?)ta(c/d) kn ytar
utshyr un tei (i/l)

teyailn = there
esetula = regret
gora = fury

This was done using the assumption that b, q and x are not used (as in the current word list), leaving c,d,j,k,v,w for the problematic symbols. For the k I'm not 100% sure, since it results in some strange words ("ikuk"), but the other characters that are left seem to be an even worse choice.

Unfortunately, only "un" and "ny"="the" are on the word list.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:14 pm
molecularr
Unfettered

That's mostly what I've got on the wiki.

The only thing I'm pretty sure of that's different is "esotot." If you notice in "esutula", the l has a bar off to the right side, whereas t's always have a bar all the way through. I asked yshk about it, but no dice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:28 pm
 ICQ Number 
fragment
Boot

Yes, it's mostly the same. Unfortunately I found the wiki just some minutes after the posting. Rolling Eyes

You're right with esolot. What I'm unsure about is "atad" (the first character looks entirely different from the other "a"s). But I'm quite sure it says "utshyr" instead of "utahyr". Also, it's "kyrpen", since the "n" have a long hook on the right. The "u" in "ikuk" also seems quite clear.

Combining this, we get

Spoiler (Rollover to View):

un ytar un kiyu kyrpen ny j(z)an nympar ikuk esolot (?)la(d) kn ytar utshyr un tei i

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:18 am
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Ny Takma
Jump to: