Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:52 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: MetaCortechs » MetaCortechs: General/Updates
[UPDATE] ethan [Nov 7]
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
yeahyeah
Decorated

[UPDATE] ethan [Nov 7]

Rasputin42x69 pointed out that ethan updated...
Quote:

November 07, 2003
cold
I was going to post directly from Cyberia, but I'm still shaking, and I felt like staying in that place one second longer would be more than I could bear.

My hands are so cold right now. This cold snap and the adrenalin coursing through me right now have me fighting the shakes. Ugh.

I was madly curious if there were a CD here in the city, so I went ahead and checked it out without you. I parked in the lot across the street, and it seemed a lifetime that I waited first on the sidewalk, and then at the median for all the cars to flood by, so I could cross. The warm smells of the elotes carts wafted over - chili powder, steamed corn, sweet smell of shaved ice flavorings, mixed together and carried in the damp, cold air.

Inside this little hole in the wall internet cafe, it was warm and inviting and somewhat cramped. There was a woman at one terminal jotting notes and kicking up her feet in one of the comfy chairs as she transmitted data via her laptop. Another couple of young men were scrolling through shows at the Double Door at one of the cafe's computers.

The place was too small to go looking for any sort of hidden spot - so I bucked up all my courage and asked the guy that was there if there was any sort of package for 'Emerson.'

"Nope," he smiled, "Someone already got it. So sorry."

"What?? When??" I managed to squeak out. Reminder to self, jaw hitting floor decidedly unsexy.

"I dunno, but I think one of our other staff members handed it off just a couple of hours ago."

Stunned, but unsure of how to handle this ... disappointment? vertigo? in a public location, I ordered some herbal tea, sipped at it for a few minutes as I perched on a chair, and then thanked the man and headed back across the street to the car, the purple awning one of the only truly colorful spots in my line of vision.

I came home.

A couple of hours ago, someone came into that cafe, and asked for the very thing that was specifically for us to find. I don't know what's going on here, but I am not sure I feel very safe right now. It doesn't feel safe for either of us. How could someone have known about the information we were looking for? Why would they take something that was not meant for their eyes?

Who knows about this? Why do they want this information?

I can't stop shaking.

I am looking over the files you sent me, and I wonder if it would've been the same files at Cyberia, or perhaps something different. An explanation for all of this, a justification for the confusion and fear I am feeling in my heart.

The photo of the boy is the one I stay with the most. That's our boy, Ethan. I can feel it as surely in my heart as my music - he is bound to us much as we are bound to him. The promise of love and care is one that cannot be made lightly. When I look at his photo, I see the same eyes I saw in my dreams - he's brushing past me downtown where everyone around me is dressed in opera wear, he's the one holding my hand in the slate grey darkness of nothingness and loss.

He is mine, and he knows me, through and through. We have been through things together, he and I. He is my wonder and my joy, and right now, he is my sorrow. Where is he, love? Why are we here now, in this place, with no recollection in our lives of this most important aspect? How in the hell did we get Here, when There is a place that doesn't even connect up with our present day? Who did this to us, and why?

I can hardly believe it myself. I look at the documents, and they feel right. And yet, something is very wrong about this. Somehow I refuse to believe we had anything to do with this, that we somehow orchestrated a major upheaval like this. But it looks like we did. And it also looks like someone else knows. I am never going back to that cafe - someone could be watching, you know?

Tomorrow won't get here soon enough, Ethan. You'll be here, and then everything will be at least OK on the surface. We'll have each other.

Posted by Dina at 05:20 PM
November 06, 2003
Preoccupied
Wow, it's been so hard to concentrate today. My mind is just reeling, and I keep finding it hard to focus, which hasn't been good.

The good ol' left-brain keeps telling me how there must be some reasonable (reality-based) explanation for everything, but I can't seem to deny the obvious conclusion that all of this good hard evidence seems to be pointing us to. An entire literal former life, job, family. That's so crazy, yet there it is, staring us in the face. Plus the fact that, if you accept that hypothesis, so many things start making sense.

I can't say I've had a flood of memories start coming back. I almost wish I had. It's more of a vague sense of dim familiarities. I keep telling myself these are other peoples' lives, belongings, and yet I'm forced to consider our undeniable handwriting on a wedding certificate that's not even ours!

What does all this mean? Who were we? What happened to us, and why?? Who did this? What of the memories I do have? What was real, what was illusion?

One thing is becoming increasingly clear: To find out, we must find and talk to those who apparently knew us as Ryan and Silvie. Especially the boy.......our son?

I think I'm losing my mind.

Posted by Ethan at 08:36 PM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:25 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Rasputin42x69
Decorated

Quote:
A couple of hours ago, someone came into that cafe, and asked for the very thing that was specifically for us to find. I don't know what's going on here, but I am not sure I feel very safe right now. It doesn't feel safe for either of us. How could someone have known about the information we were looking for? Why would they take something that was not meant for their eyes?

Bad, Trip, bad! No soup for you!!! Wink

The Holy Devil, out. ^_^
(Currently playing: BSeeingU - Watching: Year Zero - Played: Project MU, Acheron, Aware)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:45 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ehsan
Entrenched

VERY interesting update!

This is I believe our first interaction with a character from our side.. Dina is talking about what trip did here .. Now if we can only tell her that we are just trying to help instead of her freaking out!

Also, now we know they are looking for their missing child, Jesse! And they are suffering from.. umm.. amnesia?!?!?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:47 am
Last edited by Ehsan on Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
jba
Greenhorn

It also confirms that that Dina/Ethan = Silvie/Ryan.

Quote:
To find out, we must find and talk to those who apparently knew us as Ryan and Silvie. Especially the boy.......our son?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:48 am
ParityBit
Decorated

Excellent! Player interaction causing problems for the characters! Does this mean though that they got the files from somewhere else, as she mentions about the files that Ethan sent, and she appears to be looking at pictures of Jesse. Did Ethan pick up another CD, or were they in the envelope he got from the High Flyer?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:31 am
colin
Entrenched

Re: [UPDATE] ethan [Nov 7]

yeahyeah wrote:
Rasputin42x69 pointed out that ethan updated...

swear i pointed that out first but s@#t hey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:56 am
niobexrev
Unfettered

Dina wrote:
The place was too small to go looking for any sort of hidden spot - so I bucked up all my courage and asked the guy that was there if there was any sort of package for 'Emerson.'

"Nope," he smiled, "Someone already got it. So sorry."

"What?? When??" I managed to squeak out. Reminder to self, jaw hitting floor decidedly unsexy.

"I dunno, but I think one of our other staff members handed it off just a couple of hours ago."

Stunned, but unsure of how to handle this ... disappointment? vertigo? in a public location, I ordered some herbal tea, sipped at it for a few minutes as I perched on a chair, and then thanked the man and headed back across the street to the car, the purple awning one of the only truly colorful spots in my line of vision.

I came home.

Who knows about this? Why do they want this information?

I can't stop shaking.

I am looking over the files you sent me, and I wonder if it would've been the same files at Cyberia, or perhaps something different. An explanation for all of this, a justification for the confusion and fear I am feeling in my heart.

The photo of the boy is the one I stay with the most. That's our boy, Ethan. I can feel it as surely in my heart as my music - he is bound to us much as we are bound to him. The promise of love and care is one that cannot be made lightly. When I look at his photo, I see the same eyes I saw in my dreams - he's brushing past me downtown where everyone around me is dressed in opera wear, he's the one holding my hand in the slate grey darkness of nothingness and loss.

He is mine, and he knows me, through and through. We have been through things together, he and I. He is my wonder and my joy, and right now, he is my sorrow. Where is he, love? Why are we here now, in this place, with no recollection in our lives of this most important aspect? How in the hell did we get Here, when There is a place that doesn't even connect up with our present day? Who did this to us, and why?

Yeah, trip, why? Why would you do that, huh? WHY!?

Okay, now that that's over.

In all seriousness, trip, maybe that e-mail address at The Nekodas is for you. I don't think I'm stretching it when I say maybe you should e-mail Dina with the info you got from the CD. Does she know about the girl he was with in the pictures? Does she know about the, ahem, the agent, I mean, oops the guy in the suit, wearing sunglasses and an earpiec? Rolling Eyes

Just suggestions.

[EDIT] "a couple of hours ago" Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Maybe if trip had stayed there a little longer he might have met Ethan?
Naaaaaaaaah.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:58 am
trip
Veteran

Gah, I searched all over for this thread and then couldn't find it. Then a mod closed my thread, and I searched all over again and I STILL couldn't find it! Obviously, I finally did, but... whatever. Razz

Anyway, yes, this update from Ethan is amazing. Reading more closely, there are a few things that astound me.

1. Dina describes the location PERFECTLY. I'm sure you can read my initial message and see the similarities (though, Dina is a much better writer than I).

2. Dina describes the people in the cafe:

Quote:
There was a woman at one terminal jotting notes and kicking up her feet in one of the comfy chairs as she transmitted data via her laptop. Another couple of young men were scrolling through shows at the Double Door at one of the cafe's computers.

I spoke with my husband (who was there with me) and we're both 90% sure that these were ACTUALLY THE PEOPLE who were in the cafe when we were there. I know for sure there were two guys around one of the computers at the bar, and there was one other person but I can't really remember if it was a woman or not (I was sooo nervous I can hardly remember anything).

3. I can't believe that, in a game mechanics sense, we were supposed to leave these CDs there. We had to remove them from the location to see what was on the CD.

So, knowing that we're supposed to remove them, now Dina is also looking for them and is shocked when someone else picked the CD up already.

Who is this someone else? Obviously, me. But in an in-game sense, who could *I* possibly me? How can they explain me in a game sense? Why would a group of us be following their web site interactions?

How often do real life players influence the actions of in-game characters in an ARG?

4. I agree that I should probably e-mail Dina, though I'm pretty sure she won't respond. But, what do you think I should say? Why WOULD I go take her CD? What is a good reason that an in-game character would understand?

5. So we are now 100% sure that Ryan/Sylvie = Ethan/Dina and that Jesse in their son.

We can probably also reasonably conclude then that Caesar is Jesse and heismissing and sheismissing is Ryan/Ethan and Sylvie/Dina (since Caesar/Jesse is looking for them).

If Ryan/Ethan is heismissing, then that means that the dimitri photos in mlo's metadex are of Ryan/Ethan! So... what does that mean? Was this the camp where he got mind-erased?

trip

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:01 pm
Muffin
Unfettered

trip wrote:
[Who is this someone else? Obviously, me. But in an in-game sense, who could *I* possibly me? How can they explain me in a game sense? Why would a group of us be following their web site interactions?

You are still you Smile

They can explain this by saying

"You like to THINK this is a game, but what if its not?"

Isn't that the whole point?

To quote a notable sig from this forum (and some film or something)

"You think thats air your breathing?"

Absolutely fantastically scary, best event yet!!!

(Wishing I was back in the US!)

Edited for sp!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:00 pm
trip
Veteran

Muffin wrote:
"You like to THINK this is a game, but what if its not?"

Okay, so, if I e-mail Dina, I should introduce myself as someone who is following the events of her life via her weblog? I guess that is acceptable really... I mean, it is a public webblog.

Though, she has stated a few times that she doesn't expect anyone but Ethan and a few select others (Wongmo) to be reading it.

But then, how rude would it be for me to get her CD if that was the case (that I was just a "fan" of her personal blog)? How do I explain that?

Maybe I should just e-mail her and say, "Dina, I believe I have a CD that belongs to you. If you'd like me to mail it to you or transfer the contents to you, please e-mail me back. Thanks, Christine." Thoughts? (Btw, my real name is Christine, if you were wondering. Probably shouldn't use "trip" with poor scared Dina.)

Haha, how 'bout I just give Dina the metacortechs.netninja.com web site with all her stuff on it instead of transfering it to her. Then she'll really be freaked out...

Or, hmmm... maybe I should send her an e-mail explaining the entire story that I know so far, and that her life and the events related to her life are all part of a greater plot that involves things and people she would never have dreamed of? Maybe I should help her decode the mystery that is her life right now?

Which is more likely to help Dina?

trip

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:10 pm
joebrent
Unfettered

Quote:

The one about explaining stuff. If Caesar/Jessie is looking for them, why not help out?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:17 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Muffin
Unfettered

joebrent wrote:
Quote:

The one about explaining stuff. If Caesar/Jessie is looking for them, why not help out?

Hey, why make it that easy?

Why not encode it in chancesend Not file puzzle font in an 18 x 18 grid, and send that to her?

Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:27 pm
Omnie
Entrenched

trip wrote:
We can probably also reasonably conclude then that Caesar is Jesse and heismissing and sheismissing is Ryan/Ethan and Sylvie/Dina (since Caesar/Jesse is looking for them).

If Ryan/Ethan is heismissing, then that means that the dimitri photos in mlo's metadex are of Ryan/Ethan! So... what does that mean? Was this the camp where he got mind-erased?

No, it's not that simple, I don't think. We know from several sources that heismissing is James Avery. Sources would be Ormond's files, Beth's and Phillip's e-mails to each other, etc... how does he fit together with the Emersons? No idea...but I don't think we can just focus on the Emersons, they don't seem to be the only ones who are missing. Ugh, my head hurts...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:41 pm
Insomniac
Decorated

This Avery/Emerson thing seems to be a real problem can someone just post some concrete evidence?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:43 pm
niobexrev
Unfettered

Okay I have a cool idea that probably won't work and I have a logical idea:

1.) Cool idea - trip, don't e-mail her. Instead one of us e-mail her and tell her if she wants info on her CD she should come to the forums or IRC chat. Live chat time! Yeah probably won't work.

2.) Logical idea - Creative little lie. Trip, email her and tell her you were picking up something at Cyberia, the clerk misunderstood you and figured you for Emerson and gave you the CD. When you looked at the contents it looked mysterious and didn't know what it meant until you happened on The Nekodas site and saw a picture of the boy from the CD pictures. Sound excited like "Hey! I'm really sorry! This must be yours! I hope you find him." Don't sound mysterious. If she asks you to send it to her, my suggestion is do it. But if you don't it's just as well. Either way you'll probably get an interesting reaction.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:46 pm
Page 1 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: MetaCortechs » MetaCortechs: General/Updates
Jump to: