Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:35 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: MetaCortechs » MetaCortechs: Puzzles
[NEW] Trash photos in Phil's files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 2 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
BrianEnigma
Entrenched

Well, because nobody has posted the other letter in plaintext yet...
Quote:

I am writing to you out of concern for my mother, who is one of your students. I have been
watching with interest as she has ordered your course materials, subscribed to your newsletters,
and has bought your CD's and other products. She is also planning on attending your upcoming
retreat in Hawaii.

Now, while all of this may seem well and good on the surface, I have become very alarmed upon
discovering just how much money she is spending on Wongmo related things. I feel that your
materials seem to be very overpriced, especially when considering the actual content included,
or lack thereof.

My mother is living on a limited income, and frankly I am having a very difficult time watching
her throw hard-earned and saved money down the drain on these things. It would be one thing
if there were some actual substance to your materials, but they seem to be mostly empty feel-good
pontifications.

As a musician myself, it is also painfully obvious that you're not formally trained in anything,
except for maybe mail order scamming. At this point, I am about to report you to the appropriate
authorities, but I wanted to give you a chance to respond, being the fair-minded person that I am.
Can you please provide me with any concrete certification as to your musical/spiritual/___?___
integrity? I don't anticipate that you can, but who knows? Prove me wrong. For my mother's
sake.

Sincerely,

Roger Smith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:15 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Tsupa
Kilroy

Do you all think it's possible that Phillip and Wongmo are the same person? Maybe the picture on Wongmo.org is a phoney? Just a thought... why else would he have signed letters addressed directly to Wongmo?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:41 pm
Omnie
Entrenched

Tsupa wrote:
Do you all think it's possible that Phillip and Wongmo are the same person? Maybe the picture on Wongmo.org is a phoney? Just a thought... why else would he have signed letters addressed directly to Wongmo?

Well, I do think it's very possible that Leo Kane and Wongmo are the same person...or at least running some kind of scam together. We know that Phil was off to go try to see Kane, right? Well...rampant speculation time:

He went to his room, knocked, and no one answered. The door was unlocked, so Phil cautiously went inside, propelled by his curiousity. He found Kane's desk to be covered in passports. Then he found those letter scraps in the trash can and rearranged them to take pics several times before putting them back in the trash can. Why he couldn't have laid them out so that they weren't on top of one another is beyond me, but maybe he had a reason. Then he goes home, steams for several hours, and sends off an angry letter to Kane about how his work is totally fraudulent and all that. He sends an extra copy to Beth so that she can share in his feelings.

What do you guys think? Possible? I'm just not sure where the passports come in. Nobody's done a transcript of the photo of the desktop...maybe I'll go do that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:50 pm
Omnie
Entrenched

The passport pic flipped and mirrored. Because I can't read upside down. Mr. Green

Note that whoever this Niehoffer dude is, he left from Chicago. Another random reference to the Wachowski brothers' hometown, or will we see the Chicago directory open on Metacortechs.com? That's also where Avery's ex bought something or other, right?
pa220103-hi_passportsed.jpg
 Description   Passports
 Filesize   256.35KB
 Viewed   368 Time(s)

pa220103-hi_passportsed.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:55 pm
stavro510
Greenhorn

using the name "Arnold Neihoffer," who I am assuming is Wongmo based on the arrival date and the fact that he has the lease for a house in Hawaii, I sent this email to wongmo:
Quote:
Hey Arnold! This is Andy from high school! We were in Mrs. Garcia's homeroom together, remember? Well I poked around the internet looking for classmates for the big reunion (gosh, 30 years already) and I found out that you were doing you music and writing under the name Wongmo. Your work seems very interesting, and I'm sure everyone from the old days will love to hear about it. The reunion is November 14-16, and I'd love to see you there.

Your friend,
Andy W.

Ill let you know on any response I get.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:12 am
Marl64
Unfettered

"Arnold Quentin Niehoffer" is a very anagramable name. Far too many to list.

Could "Niehoffer" be from "nie hoffer"? and a reference to Eric Hoffer? who's books and Quotations look a bit Wongmo. (More Quotations)

In the wrong hands Google can be a dangerous thing Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:44 am
ParityBit
Decorated

And of course we can see a handwritten fragment under the ticket receipt in the passport photo starting 'MR LE'...

Mr Leo Kane?

We know that Kane is very taken with Wongmo - and that Phillip dislikes Kane and feels that Wongmo is 'touched'. Is Niehoffer one of Kane's pseudonyms? Or one of Wongmo's? Is this a scam run by both of them?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:51 am
LokiNZ
Greenhorn

If Phil found both passports and letters in the same room, it seems likely they all belonged to Wongmo. With 4 passports he could assume different identities - Arnold Niehoffer might not even be his real name. He could also pose as Dr Leo Kane since there's no photo on Leo Kane's website and Leo Kane's CV appears to be highly suspect. There is a slip of paper underneath the air ticket receipt which starts "Mr Le..". Could this be referring to Leo Kane? If so, why isn't it "Dr Le.."? Not to mention Phil's email to Beth on the 18th complaining of having trouble tracking Leo Kane down.

The photo on Wongmo must be real if he's going to meet face to face with people at the retreat. I thought he might even have cross-dressed and posed as Fiona Leiphe as she doesn't have a website photo either (and also uses a fake name). But Dina N has left comments on both Wongmo's and Leiphe's websites - so presumably she's seen them both at their courses. Or is Dina N also an alter ego (could N stand for Niehoffer?) She also comes from Chicago - odd coincidence, seeing as the air ticket originated in Chicago.

Also - this might be nothing, but the names of the file links in Phil's metadex are numbered sequentially from PA220103.php (the Drawer photo) to PA220110.php (the 7th Bin photo). I presume that 22 refers to the date, but why start at 0103? Is there a PA220101 and PA220102?

Hmmm... I think there are more questions than answers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:10 am
holynunkenobi
Greenhorn

Dina N

Isnt the artist of "The_picture" MP3 Dina and if you look at its comments it says The Nekodas.

Therefore Dina N probably stands for Dina Nekodas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:32 pm
vanman0254
Boot

Good find, I agree. But does she come up in directory or anything?

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:49 pm
yanka
Fickle

As you might have noticed, I’m obsessed with organizing things. So, despite feeling like a total dork Embarassed for making such a long post, and being not sure that this belongs here instead of one of the “figuring out the story line’ threads, I’ll make sort of a chronological account of what Phil, Kane, and Wongmo have been doing.

On Oct. 3 Phillip receives an e-mail from Dr. David Crane (apparently the previous editor of PRJ), in which Crane reprimands Phil for delaying the fall edition.

Some time after that Phil releases the journal, which includes an article by Kane. The “paralysis” he describes reminds me of what people that wake up in the pods feel (some stories on the official site). And, yeah, some of you are immediately going to reject any matrix references, but I still see the resemblance, so… there Razz

I think it was sometime between Oct. 3 and Oct.9 that Phil made the mysterious note “look into lodging for Cairo”. The other relevant note “call UH about LK” probably means “call University of Hawaii about Leo Kane” – which is where Kane got some degrees or something from; we learn that from his otherwise uninformative website.

On Oct. 9 Phil sends an e-mail to Beth (I only left the reference to Kane in):
Quote:
I did publish the article by Dr. Leo Kane, though I still have my doubts. Politics is an ugly game and one that I've rarely won. Despite the wealth of sound material for this edition, there was no choice but to publish with his quackery. That may be harsh and an apology may be due, but a quick look at his website does not ease my concerns. There is just something about that man that I do not trust. I've begun an investigation into him, though I've not found anything conclusive. Thus my doubts, my instincts, went ignored. Is it right to be so upset when people that you respect do not respect you?

Apparently, somebody that Phil respects – Crane? – insisted that Phil publish the article. Why?

On Oct.11 Wongmo, the man Kane speaks so highly of, goes off to his Hawaiian retreat, which cost between 3 and 4 grand in US$. Prior to leaving, he announces that Fiona Leiphe will not be able to carry out her scheduled session (Pixels on a Page).

On Oct. 15 Phil puts Kane’s resume in his Metadex; he basically laughs at Kane’s credentials; and it looks like he schedules a meeting/phone call for the 16th with Dr. Jane Harrisburg, a colleague of Kane’s. I think it’s safe to say that by now Phillip has labeled Kane a “hack”.

On Oct. 18th Phil sends this e-mail to Beth:
Quote:
Subject: Home soon

I’m sorry that I have been so out of touch the past few days. I will return home mid-week and would love to meet with you then. This trip has given me as many questions as it has answers and it would be great to sort this out with you. Have found no concrete evidence of Kane here; how can a man that was born and raised in Hawaii have no ties to the place aside from a rather “touched” spiritual guide? Going to try to meet with Kane again tomorrow, then lectures on Monday. Home Tuesday night if all goes as planned.
How are things on your end? Hopefully all is well. I will call soon.
Phillip

This one, imo, is weird. 18th was a Saturday, so Phil was planning to meet with Kane on Sunday and go home Tuesday night (=mid-week). Then who has lectures on Monday? Kane at the University of Hawaii? Can we be sure that Hawaii is where Phil went? And what does Cairo have to do with anything?
Other than that, we expect Phil to be “home” (Redland, I gather – based on his interactions with Beth) on the night of Oct. 21.

Also, sometime after the 18th Wongmo is “home from this season's retreat with a quick recap of the week's events!”
I guess it's safe to assume that Wongmo does not live in Hawaii.

On Oct. 22 Beth gets a flaming e-mail, presumably about/to Kane and just CCed to her.

The same day Phil updates his metadex with the pictures that this whole thread is about.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:40 pm
Diandra
Unfettered

Cairo

It's a possibility, since we know that Phil was planning his trip to Hawaii, that "Look into lodging for Cairo" was a reference to boarding his dog while he was away. Hawaii has very strict quarrantine laws that would preclude Phillip from bringing his pet.

Cairo also sounds like a name an archaeologist would give his dog.

Dia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:44 pm
Moatie
Boot

Can you please provide me with any concrete certification as to your musical/spiritual/___?___
integrity? I don't anticipate that you can, but who knows? Prove me wrong. For my mother's
sake.

Sincerely,

Roger Smith
[/quote][/quote]

musical/spritual/monetary integrity

Moatie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:14 pm
LokiNZ
Greenhorn

There's a Cairo in Southern Illinois - perhaps that's what Phil is referring to. There could be some connection between that location and those other references to Chicago, IL. Although it is about 5 hours drive away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:12 pm
lynxrep36
Greenhorn

Four passports are shown, so he has four identities, bourne identity style. What are the four possibilities?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:23 am
Page 2 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: MetaCortechs » MetaCortechs: Puzzles
Jump to: