Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com

The time now is Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:02 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Meta » Various & Sundry
Meaning behind your username
Moderators: Giskard, imbri, ndemeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 5 of 8 [108 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Nadif
Unfettered

As those of you who played LCP have noticed, my username at the poker table was NanoDiFiga. Nadif is just short for this; I first used it as my username for my first e-mail address ever, circa 1995. Apparently it was made to last.
Anyway, unless you're Italian I still should explain what "nano di figa" means and where it comes from.
First things first: as widely known, Italians just looove to curse, swear, insult and generally use any variety of foul language. It's cultural. Really, if you meet an old friend the most likely salutation will not be "Hi, nice to meet you" but "Ma ciao, vecchia merda!" [literaly "Oh hi, you old piece of shit!"] or such.

So, back in my school days, since I'm not quite the tallest guy in the world, one of my friends came up calling me "Nano di figa". "Nano" is literaly the Italian word for both "dwarf" and "midget", but it's commonly used in Italy to friendly designate a short person; "di figa", like "di merda", "del cazzo" and so on, is a generic insult you can add after a name and has pretty much the same function of the english "f***ing"; literaly, "figa" would be the most commonly used unpolite name for "vagina". Together with its arcaic/regional variant "fica" it's one of the oldest Italian foul words, and can be found even in Dante Alighieri's Comedia (in the Inferno, of course).

The name just stuck; between us friends, we all used to call us with similar names, things like "redhead bastard", "tall dickhead" and so on. Don't get me wrong: we loved each other; we still do, and when we meet it's mandatory to salute each other with the proper insult, before a big hug.
The original "Nano di figa" was eventually shortened (as all our "friendly names") as the cryptic and apparently innocuous "Nadif", so that we could use this in class even in presence of teachers without being sent to the principal and/or suspended. It's the kind of pointless but somehow oh so rewarding thing that most boys do at that age, and part of what makes that part of life so damn amazing, I guess.

But high school ended, each one of us went to a different university, and we lost contact. So, when I opened my first e-mail account, during my first year in university, I guess I just went for something that would remind me of a great time I had with those guys, and how I was missing them, and their fellowship, and that time of life.

That e-mail account is long gone, together with usa.net; but nadif@something is still my primary address.
And yes, I'm still as short as I was fifteen years ago; so please, feel free to call me "Nano di figa", should we meet in person one day. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:32 am
 ICQ Number 
Reply with quote Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
gazdemon
Veteran

Gazdemon

My name is Gazdemon because I played the part of Demon in the play, Terry Pratchett's 'The Wyrd Sisters'. My real name is Gareth...but no I am not Welsh...and my friends call me Gaz for short, so it's just Gazdemon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:43 pm
Phaedra
Lurker v2.0

I got asked about it during ILB by Melissa, so I think I may have already talked about it, but:

No, I did not choose my name for its mythological/literary significance. Smile

I have no plans to p*ss off any Greek deities, nor to seduce anyone's stepson, nor to hang myself.

In Greek, Phaedra means "shining one." I liked that. I also liked the PH and the AE dipthong.

That's pretty much it.

World Champion: Cruel 2B Kind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:52 pm
Dorkmaster
Unfictologist

Dipthong... heheheh....

(You may now resume the thread Smile)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:00 pm
Ikkarus
Veteran

I totally picked my name for its mythological / literary significance. Then I spelled it wrong because "kk" is eXtreme and that's how I roll.

Ok, well that's half true.

Ikkarus was a Shadowrun character I made years and years and years ago. Ikkarus was a decker (or hacker to all you non-SR-players). He chose the misspelling because he was eXtreme and that's how he rolled. A few years down the road, when it came time to formulate an online persona for myself, Ikkarus seemed the logical foil.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:07 pm
 ICQ Number 
EGo
Unfettered

A bandwagon! Let me jump on it.

Okay, this won't be very interesting. My name's Emmanuel Go. Sad thing is, no one I knew [myself included] thought of it until middle school, when the administration assigned us email addresses.

Often someone snags EGo [or ego] before I arrive at the party. Sometimes it's too short to use as a name. I don't have one set fallback in those situations.

sequoya wrote:
I happened to be reading The Computer Connection by Alfred Bester (an author who I love, although my favourite of his is actually The Stars My Destination), the main character of which is called Sequoya Guess (who was in turn named after the Cherokee inventor dude).

Heh. Back in high school I used to register AIM names on whims. I first read Bester's stuff then, which is why I own the AIM names Sequoya Guess, Rogue Winter [The Deceivers], and Galatea Galante ["Galatea Galante"].

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:10 am
 ICQ Number 
Axys Denyed
Unfettered

Ikkarus wrote:
I totally picked my name for its mythological / literary significance. Then I spelled it wrong because "kk" is eXtreme and that's how I roll.

Ok, well that's half true.

Ikkarus was a Shadowrun character I made years and years and years ago. Ikkarus was a decker (or hacker to all you non-SR-players). He chose the misspelling because he was eXtreme and that's how he rolled. A few years down the road, when it came time to formulate an online persona for myself, Ikkarus seemed the logical foil.

AxysDenyed wrote:
I already explained mine once in the PXC thread for this, but I might as well explain it here as well. Now, I play RPGs. I don't mean the console ones, I mean the true pen and paper, dice rolling, buying too many books RPGs. There was a great one a while back by the name of Shadowrun. Futuristic-type game, there's a character type called a decker. Basically it's someone with a computer in their head. Well, I made a decker once with a street name of Axys Denyed (I liked the pun) and when I came around to the internet, I figured it'd make a good screen name as well

Seems I'm not the only one who misses the old FASA game

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:21 pm
 ICQ Number 
Puppy_Zwolle
Entrenched

EGo wrote:
no one I knew [myself included]

No worries. You are the lucky one.

My sister in law wanted to name her child; Anna Berendina Carola v O. "Don't" her husband said, "That spells ABC. She'll never hear the end of that."

So, she now is known as Berendina Anna Carola v O........ Spells Baco, popular name here for her moms favorite drink, Bacardi 'n coke.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:25 pm
weephun
Entrenched

Yah! with explanation maybe people will stop calling me weep hun. Confused I mean who would want to go about reminding people about unhappy huns all the time anyway?

Exclamation of joy I've used since childhood when having a really great time: weeeeeeee fun!

f to ph since my buddies were all phat tacos (which is another story entirely) and ph is just sooo much cooler than f anyway, right?

Shortened to 2 e's just because I was sure I'd forget how many e's I needed to use all the time, and well, too many e's is just never a good thing.

weephun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:34 pm
ItWasntMeISwear
Unfettered

Mine came from a mistake I made when I first joined the ARG community. I misread a lot of things and thought that we were supposed to develop our own characters and play the game as that character. Big mistake!

This led to a very embarassing moment which was handled by the PMs of Wildfire Industries very nicely I must say.

From that mistake I chose a different name so that I may try and start over again with the new, and correct, information. I certainly didn't want to be known for what I had done.

So, that's how I got my name. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:27 am
bartmans
Veteran

The story about my nickname is not very exciting, either. My christian name is Bart and one of my old colleagues always called me 'bartmans'. Since registering with the name bartmans in various e-mail accounts never did get me any trouble of doublures, I stick to using it.

A more interesting story about my avatar (can we extend this thread also to explain where we get our avatars from? I particularly like yours, Phaedra!). I used to post without one, but then I decided I needed one too. However, I am hopeless at drawing, thus I needed to 'borrow' an avatar somewhere. Since I am a patent attorney, I was familiar with the logo of the Dutch Society of Patent Attorneys, which you now see depicted at the left. This logo embodies the technique to be translated in somebody's head and I think it fits nicely with the human character of the ARGs, where also (sometimes) a technical mind is needed to get any further in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:53 am
Phaedra
Lurker v2.0

bartmans wrote:
A more interesting story about my avatar (can we extend this thread also to explain where we get our avatars from? I particularly like yours, Phaedra!).

Thanks! Smile

I'm thinking of changing it to a transparent gif, though. It's a .png file, which looks fine in Firefox, but the other day I had to visit the forums in IE, and discovered that my avatar was surrounded by a sort of greyish beige background.

Vain creature that I am, I feel the need to fix that. Gifs are transparent for everyone, yes?

As to where I got it, I'm afraid I don't remember. It's from a picture I had saved to my computer. I edited out the background, and was left with my archer.

World Champion: Cruel 2B Kind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:47 am
RungeKutta
Veteran

My name comes from somewhat of an interesting story -- I think. I stole a couple pounds of coke from this guy named Rang Krutha and I needed to sell it off of course. I found the buyer who usually delt with Mr Krutha but had never met him. This buyer had a weird speech impediment and would pronounce the name like "Rong Kutta". So from then and out I pretended to be Rong Kutta to this guy. A couple years later, I needed a name to sign up on a music production forum, and I had just got back from a differential equations class where we had just learned about the Runge Kutta numerical integration method. Since I had used the name before and kinda liked it, I used it. When I found ARGs I kept the name.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:33 pm
Sunny du Pree
Unfettered

Meaning behind Sunny of the Du Pree's

Hello All

To those of you who understand....... "lelelelelelelelelelele!" Laughing

Looking back I cannot believe that my initiation onto the internet coincided with the beginning of ARGs as we know it. Shocked
I started to play PUSH NEVADA and got caught up in the insanity. Twisted Evil I actually bought a computer so I could play. (can I get a lelelelele!)
I started out as MuralArtist and I think I also played as prettycolors but I dont remember. I am an artist. Rolling Eyes
Anyway......
I got reaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllyyyyyyy obsessed with playing Push and interacting on the internet with all these wonderful peeps.
With Pushes untimely end (I was very pleased that I figured out the clues and the answer, but, my dinosaur brain just didnt work fast enough to win the million bucks!)T Evil or Very Mad here was actually a Push withdrawl (can you say coldturkey) and Those obsessed with playing Push continued on playing and creating the charecters lives that lived in Push. I took on the charecter of the morning show, I think it was "Goodmorning Push", Sunny Du Pree. She was all about the world of Push...Why would you want to live anywhere else? Sunny began writing articles for the Push Times reflecting on things that had gone on with the other people in her life of Push. It was pretty funny. Very Happy
Can you believe that there were some people that continued to play PUSH way over a year? lots of paranoid hypothesis abounded! Shocked Arrow I would bet there is at least one person still watching and watching and watching...... If you want to learn about dysfunction you can find plenty out there.....eeeheeemmm present company excluded? lelelele.
Then I discoverd Chasing the Wish. It was an awesome experience. I created some art for it. It certainly didnt end there though and I played several others but cant remember all their names.
I enjoyed playing them so much that I became a puppetmaster of one or two........Then the earth shook and Sunny Du Pree fell off the ARG map leaving in her wake a hearty High ho lelelelelelelellele!
Good to see you guys again. I knew that ARGs would explode and become a big deal. It is gonna get bigger!!!!!!

love love love

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:34 pm
Caspian
Decorated

I discovered the world of ARGs and unfiction near the end of October 2005 when I was hyped up anxiously awaiting the recent movie The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Most online names for me have been based on a fictional character (a concept which I now really dislike for myself, but too many of you know me as Caspian now, so whatcha ya gonna do?). Anyway, I have been a Narnia fan all my life, so I decided it would be appropriate to draw an online identity from Narnia. For those of you who don't know, the second book published in the Chronicles of Narnia is Prince Caspian (although the new numbering system has it at some other numbering in the order...grumble grumble...).

There are lots of characters from Narnia I could have chosen, but I chose Caspian X because I admired his qualities. His story starts out much like Hamlet. Caspian's evil uncle Miraz murdered his father Caspian IX and usurped his throne. Caspian X learns this as a mere teenage boy, and also learns that the rightful citizens of Narnia have been oppressed and forced into hiding by his ancestors. Caspian then leaves the castle and begins to rally the oppressed, rightful citizens of Narnia, forming an army to reclaim the throne of Narnia and to free its rightful citizens. He receives help along the way, but his courage and decision to reject the wrongs he had raised with in favor of what he knew to be right commands my respect.

The truly remarkable thing about Caspian - and the reason I chose to use his name - comes at the end of the story. When all wrongs had seemed righted and Caspian was getting ready to take the throne, Aslan himself asks Caspian:

Quote:
"Do you feel yourself sufficient to take up the Kingship of Narnia?"
"I - I don't think I do, Sir," said Caspian. "I'm only a kid."
"Good," said Aslan. "If you had felt yourself sufficient, it would have been a proof that you were not."

It's this wisdom to realize and the humility to confess that one does not know everything, is not prepared for everything, and in short one's weaknesses that I admire and that I think is crucial to ARGs. It's the attitude that you can't solve the puzzles or coordinate the live events of an ARG by yourself that makes the hivemind so crucial to success and something that I hope to bring to the table in each ARG I play.

All that, and I'm a big nerd who likes to imagine himself as a character from his beloved fantasy worlds. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:25 pm
Page 5 of 8 [108 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Meta » Various & Sundry
Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum