Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Thu May 25, 2017 12:07 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: VaporLofts
[LOCKED] [VL][trailhead] VaporLofts
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 11 of 14 [199 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
rowan
Unfictologist

orchidsystem wrote:
If this has been mentioned before sorry, but I noticed in the Wiki that the only two users are called Kender and Bluetrident, and their user info just lists them as "A curious man" and "Also a curious man."

Well, we do have a Kender that is a frequent poster to these boards. I'd be willing to bet that was him. No Bluetridents here, but there is a TridenT which may or may not be the same person.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:41 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
theShaggy
Unfettered

Abraxas wrote:
Then all of those are letter-O, because they all look the same. Wink
If you want to "flog old puzzles" go for the one with the seemingly random words decreasing in length. Someone already counted the letters and wrote the numbers down. The only thing I notice is that some numbers appear several times - some words have the same length, that is - but my imagination stops right there.

Yeah, I remember that one. I couldn't make much of it either. Maybe I'll go back and look at it.

(And just to be nitpicky and not make me any friends as a n00b: 0 and O. The first is the first number of the short digits, the second is the letter which came after F. They both appear independantly throughout the longer lines, too. It could be entirely nothing, but that's why I am confused, since F0 produces on-pattern results, and FO, which is written, doesn't. If I'm really totally barking up the wrong tree here, feel free to say the words "Shaggy, you're barking up the wrong tree," but I'm just trying to be thorough Smile

Regardless, it seems like we're still left with nonsensical number puzzles that have no real key to them. Here's hoping Annie gets on with her research.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:36 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 ICQ Number 
y2kbozo
Decorated

g huh?

I think the mysterious "g?" near the end of the translation of x.html is the result of a typo. Its hex is 6794, reverse the middle digits and you get 6974, or "it". This gives "...yet still it persists."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:05 am
Delusional
Entrenched

Don't think this was mentioned. There is a new image up in the gateway/image index. Checked the image in notepad per Rowan's advice, dosen't look camoed, mabey stegged some other way, mabey not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:52 am
Lesser Atuin
Greenhorn

Quote:

Counting the numbers of letters in each word gives this result, organized by the existing sentence structure.

Spoiler (Rollover to View):
22 17 10 4 2 2 1,
19 13 13 10 5 3 2 2 2 1.
22 17 12 5 3 2 2 2 2 2 1.
11 6 3?
(Information Missing)
19 17 11 10 5 4 3 2.

And I tried assuming 0=a...
wrkeccb, tnnkfdcccb. wrmfdcccccb. lgd? trlkfedc.

I guess I got stuck on the descending nature of each line, plus that there are so few words with four consecutive same letters. Smile That last line looks like a play on a fibonacci (sp?) sequence to me.

Start with 2 3 4

2+3=5
2+3+5=10
2+4+5=11
2+5+10=17 or 2+4+11=17
2+3+4+10=19 or 4+5+10=19

But there is the trouble of figuring out the damn skips. But I guess it's immaterial, given that it doesn't work for any of the other lines.

I'm still working on this, but am posting in the hopes someone with more experience than I sees something I don't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:42 am
orchidsystem
Greenhorn

Played about with sa2a.jpg in Photoshop. The text above the lower green line appears to say BABEL or BABE1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:42 am
rowan
Unfictologist

Just a reminder:

We can create new threads in this forum. Not everything has to stay in this thread. I propose for any new material we get, we should start a new thread just to keep things organized. If we want to talk about something that has already been discussed in this thread, we can just reply here.

If you do start a new thread, don't forget your tags. [VL] (for Vaporlofts) should be at the beginning. Then use the appropriate [UPDATE] [EMAIL][QUESTION] [SPEC] [META] etc. tags so we know what we're looking at.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:48 am
drbensina
Greenhorn

orchidsystem wrote:
Played about with sa2a.jpg in Photoshop. The text above the lower green line appears to say BABEL or BABE1

Given the theme, it's probably Babel. The Tower of Babel was a story in the Bible where they attempted to build a tower into Heaven.

I don't know much of the details on it, that's all I got.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:29 pm
Abraxas
Unfettered

I thought if the links on paris exist as pages without referals then the 5x93 could as well, because 5093.html is the second excerpt. Here are some more pages:

5293.html
5393.html

We could have a whole /gateway discussion thread by now. Not sure how you work here and if we should put a list of all links and findings on all pages of /gateway in one thread.

Edit: I hate big-brother-un-tag feature...
But it's my own fault. I have no clue why I click on URL, but write [/url] myself...strange? Well, I have a clue. It's because in some forums whenever you click on the URL button there are fields to enter the URL and the link name. Can't quite shake the habit...

About 404.html:
It says, "Why are you here?" and nothing else.
The description of the page is "voice" which is odd.
Could it be that the sound/voice in the video in Anne's files is in fact a ghost saying, "Why are you here?" ?
I can't check, because I have no soundcard in my current machine (the old "new" one is back next week).

One more thing:
Did we find quote.html? It's a link from gateway.html - as opposed to the gateway directory...delusional found the page first, but I think it was empty back then?
The quote is basically about something that's right in front of you and yet you don't see it...pretty much what happened to anyone who tried gateway.html first. Laughing
I guess this isn't news and I deserve my first trout?

Btw, the quote-guy got the strangest name...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:17 pm
Last edited by Abraxas on Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
 ICQ Number 
Montague
Greenhorn

Contact from Anne

Okay, Anne replied to my e-mail about pookha's in which she has stated:

Hey ...

Thanks for the info on the pookha. I don't know if I'd like it if one of those was following me around!

But you mentioned that it likes to trick you when you're intoxicated... Sometimes I see things out of the corner of my eye, like shadows of people, moving around... usually after I've been out at the bar for a bit too long. I usually just blame it on the beer, but it's interesting to hear that other people experience this sort of thing, too. Growing up, we didn't really talk about things like that - we weren't really allowed to. The only person who really ever listened was Gran. I miss her.

Anne

My observation skills are naught today. Have at it, all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:57 pm
anonymouse
Boot

hello and random thoughts

hello all, hope I can contribute to the effort here...

I did find an interesting password or login phrase of some sort in the source of one of the Vapor pages. I can't remember which one it was. (I was up until 5:30am trying to get in on this game at the beginning). It was in green text and said: "aiprs" I am not sure where this should or will come in handy...

Second, are there any stargazers among us? My first knee jerk reaction when I saw the plots of the GPS points was that it looked a lot like the constellation Orion. I am not sure if the spatial relationships work out or not, or if there is a correlation between the constellation and these points on earth, a la the great pyramid of Egypt.

In Greek Mythology,Orion was killed by a scorpion, and is followed in the sky by his two dogs.

let me know what you think.
-b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:23 pm
theShaggy
Unfettered

So on 5293.html, we have an e-mail with "Franklin Parrish" as the subject line.

Franklin Parrish, as has been mentioned, is Mr_Paris on Annie's LiveJournal. He's apparently the guy who broke her camera, and his recent comment on newest post says that he might might be flying to the States soon to meet up with her.

Also that he can afford to fly her around. Rich sonuvagun. And he's suggesting that she go Friends-Only. Any chance she'll pull that off? Should I friend her for my own benefit? Razz

Also, paris.html says:
I think that she's on to me. Or maybe she's just INTO me. I don't really mean that. I take this job seriously.

Perhaps I should leave Europe, once again, for the States.

Maybe I can contact her there..

Think we have a mole/spy?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:08 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 ICQ Number 
Abraxas
Unfettered

@anonymouse
Welcome!
The one about "aiprs" was already solved one or two pages ago. Part of what follows from there can be found in the Gateway Images thread (while it doesn't quite belong there).

In other news:
a new journal page is up

I think theshaggy was refering to it by "newest post", but didn't link it so here goes (or went).

@theshaggy
Oh, I knew I've read the name Franklin Parrish somewhere...you are right, they are one and the same. And of course he's the first to offer his friendship...
How does he think Anne would be on to him, though?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:09 pm
 ICQ Number 
theShaggy
Unfettered

@abraxas (and thanks for the link to the journal. I thought about doing it but forgot to Razz)

No idea. One can guess that they're implying off-camera conversing, but they haven't really given us any reason to conclude that from anything that Annie is in to. I'm actually tempted to post a reply to his comment saying "Wow dude, rushing things a little quickly, aren't you? Especially for a guy with no posts in his journal!"

How do PMs usually react to the antagonization of a main character? Razz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:56 pm
 ICQ Number 
dtg71
Boot

Got an e-mail today ... nothing vital, but I will put it in the spoiler for those who want to skip it:

Hello Dave,

I haven't heard anything more about Belton. I should look into that. It's just that I've been pretty weirded out about Vapor lately, after the ghost video and all. I have some anxiety over actually talking to them about it, because I don't want them to get angry and fire me, you know?

Anne

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:18 am
Page 11 of 14 [199 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: VaporLofts
Jump to: