Joined: 03 Mar 2005 Posts: 1
noob meets slumberil Okay, so I just stumbled upon Slumberil earlier today. Actually, I was pretty confused until I did a google search... so I actually just stumbled on ARGs today, too. I just read the guidelines & player tutorial here, so I'm a farm fresh noob.
I looked around the site (Slumberil.com), googled some stuff, and read all the threads about it here, but I'm still somewhat lost. I think I get the basics, but things are still pretty much a blur to me. If someone could give me a brief summary of the story so far, I'd really appreciate it.
I know that noobs are annoying and all that, but I'll try to be as pleasant as I possibly can. This is a completely new world for me, but I'd like to think I'm a quick learner. I might ask a lot of annoying questions in the process, though (but at least that shows I'm trying).
Speaking of annoying questions, I've got a few already...
1) Is this an official Matrix ARG? It is from what I gather, but I just want to make sure.
2) Is Slumberil really "dead," or is it more "dormant"? If it is supposed to tie in with MxO, I don't see why they would end it so soon, seeing as the final game isn't even out yet.
3) Does anyone have any recommendations of things I should read, sites I should go to, or things I should do in order to take me from supernoob up to just normal noob?
Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:06 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2003 Posts: 772
Re: noob meets slumberil Heh, don't worry, we tend to be pretty friendly around here. The story - well, it's been a while, and I quite honestly don't remember. I'll let someone else answer that. Something about pills and red and blue and Matrix and security systems?
Slumberil seems to have been officially sponsored, what with being advertised on the MxO front page and all, but, as you've said, that makes its current deadness (as well as its not-very-good-qualityness) very strange. And it does appear to be dead - nothing's happened in a long while, although we don't really have any way of knowing what's going on with it. Maybe MxO just decided to pause and figure things out. I guess the game may at some point wake up zombified and start eating our brains, but for now I'd say it's dead.
As for what you could do now, the best way to get into ARGs is to start playing an ARG. Do like what you've done here, except with one that's active. It's way easier to get into an ARG that's just starting up, but I'm not following any brand-new ones and so can't recommend any (I'm playing Synagoga, which is awesome, but it's been running for almost a month now - which certainly doesn't mean you can't join in, just that it would take a whole lot of reading). Check out the rest of the forums, and the News and Rumors section, see if something catches your eye, then just concentrate on that game. The de-noobingness will follow pretty quickly once you get into it. Have fun, and welcome!
Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:01 am
Joined: 06 Oct 2003 Posts: 1214 Location: undesirable
To add to what Omnie said:
- Please don't apologize for being new to this sort of thing In fact, I envy you - you'll get to have that "first game high" that I'll never have again!
- Slumberil is either dead, OR in a coma; but the point is - it's not happening now. However, the story of what happened is pretty much here.
- If you want to get into another game, check out the ones starting up in News and Rumors, as Omnie suggested, or check out PerplexCity (syzygy). It has not really started yet, but it probably will in about 3 weeks (I think/hope), and so far it looks like it will be "the next big thing" in ARGing. The forum is here, and there is a beginner's thread here.
Annushka has already bought the sunflower oil, and has not only bought it, but has already spilled it.
Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:06 pm
Display posts from previous: Sort by: All Posts 1 Day 1 Week 2 Weeks 1 Month 3 Months 6 Months 1 Year Post Time Post Subject Author Ascending Descending