Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:31 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[MOVIE SPOILERS] Spoiler Zone - You have been warned
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 6 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
gimlet
Unfettered

I think people are conflating and confusing seperate peices of information..

As far as I'm aware, all JJ has been clear about is that Super 8 and Cloverfield aren't connected, (although even that is looking increasingly unlikely). You could infer that Clovie isn't an alien from that statement, but there's not actually a definitive reason to do so. Here's a source on that:

http://www.mtv.com/news/1665774/j-j-abrams-super-8-creature/

The more solid reasoning that Clovie isn't an alien comes from the ARG, but to me that origin story always felt so silly and nonsensical. Like it was some crazy person's paranoid rumour mongering, or (more likely) a conceit created by PMs who are good at puzzles but terrible story tellers. I can see Bad Robot maybe wanting to retcon that a bit.

For example, there's also no reason the satellite couldn't have fallen from the sky because a alien pushed it down, or that some kind of alien species hitched a ride down to the ocean along with it. We don't know.

"Two separate timelines" has a few diferent meanings too. It can just mean two seperate chunks of the same timeline, or two separate distinct dimensions - two universes where the timelines split off in different directions (think Doctor Who, or Bioshock infinite or yes DC Crisis on infinite earths- playing out right now on TV in the Green Arrowverse). To me the idea of a Cloverfield multiverse just raises questions (why would we even be shown two seperate universes, what happened to cause the universe to split) although it could have some pretty COOL COOL COOL answers.

Here's the best interview I can find where JJ adresses that stuff, and repeatedly says it's not really a true anthology series (though we can call it that for now) because there is a real connection between the worlds of the Cloverfield movies, but that it's too "bizarre" for us to understand yet (presumably because there is a movie they are making that goes into more detail).

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-jj-abrams-cloverfield-movie-universe-20160309-story.html

Ultimately I don't think anything is set in stone, and JJ + crew is going to do whatever they want to give us cool experiences and tell the stories they want to tell in the way they want to tell them. That includes lying (famously ala the Khan debacle).

Part of that is being intentionally ambiguous about details to give us something to talk about and argue over. That's entitely intentional. Dan and JJ have said as much a number of times now.

They, as fans themselves, hold in very high esteem the conversations had with your friends on the way out of the movie, or in the coffee shop afterwards or on the drive home. That social connection, the speculation, the storytelling that happens in our own mind after the movie is over can cause friction, but it is also rewarding. I love that they embrace that inevitable aspect of our experiences as fans.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:34 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
CloverfieldClues.com
Entrenched

All I can find online are a lot people saying "Well JJ said this" but not actually providing a link to an interview.

I'm not saying this is the "Mandela effect", but I just can't seem to find an actual quote of him actually saying that the Cloverfield monster was definitely not an alien, or that the object falling from the sky was definitely a satellite.

If anyone can find an interview with him saying this, I'll certainly give you Brownie !

EDIT:
Here is a very vague, non-specific answer from Matt Reeves in an FSR interview after the first movie was released: http://filmschoolrejects.com/news/cloverfield-interview-with-director-matt-reeves.php

Quote:
FSR: And now on to the “star” of the film, the monster. Everyone wants to know more about it right?

MR: “The little secret that we had was that the monster was a baby. And so the monster was suffering from separation anxiety and was actually disoriented and pissed…and was terrified. To me, that was the most important aspect of the creature…not only was he furious and in a rage, but that he was scared. To me there is nothing scarier than something that is huge, and is spooked.”

FSR: I know you all might be asking about the splash at the end... so I wanted an answer from the man in charge.

MR: “...in the final shot…there’s a little something. The stuff at Coney Island, there’s a little something there. There’s something dropping in the water.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:45 pm
gimlet
Unfettered

As an aside, man the crazy conspiracy theories on the Mandela effect are neat. There are people who believe it is the evidence of a multiverse, and that those who remember events in history differently are simply aware of where timelines diverged. It would be pretty funny if people were experiencing this over something that might actually be about multiverses, itself.

Also somebody needs to make a twelve mokeys-ish movie called "The Mandela Effect."

And do an ARG for it.

EDIT: The Clover wikia page definitively states that Clover is not an alien, and the splash is the satellite, but contains NO sources for either statement. That might be where people are getting confused. The Wikipedia page says the monsters orign was left deliberately ambiguous by JJ And Matt.

It is possible an interview or article exists somewhere that isn't on the internet anymore though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:31 pm
CloverfieldClues.com
Entrenched

gimlet wrote:
As an aside, man the crazy conspiracy theories on the Mandela effect are neat. There are people who believe it is the evidence of a multiverse, and that those who remember events in history differently are simply aware of where timelines diverged. It would be pretty funny if people were experiencing this over something that might actually be about multiverses, itself.

I discovered the "Mandela Effect" when looking for the Berenstein Bears books, and couldn't find anything - because they don't exist in this timeline:

http://www.avclub.com/article/how-you-spell-berenstain-bears-could-be-proof-para-223615

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:02 pm
JumboTron
Unfettered

dmax wrote:
Seriously with the avatar? If you're wanting me to think you're just offensive, mission accomplished, including me not expecting your posts to be more than trolling as well.

I'm certain it's not "wrong" but there's a fine line between clever and stupid.

I realize others may or may not agree with me. And starting a big discussion about your avatar may be exactly what you're hoping for. But I've said my piece and am done.

Huh?! Is this directed at me? I've had that avatar (do you mean the Peter Griffin gif?) for over two years... never had any complaints about it till now.

Apologies if it offends you. It's certainly not intended, and definitely not trolling. So I'm not sure why it would offend you so(?)

You can always block it using AdBlock or similar...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:22 pm
CloverfieldClues.com
Entrenched

Slaver wrote:
Speaking of which: Sexual favors to anyone who can manage a photo of the alien ship thing.

Go!
wKK2Sr6.png
 Description   
 Filesize   131.93KB
 Viewed   152 Time(s)

wKK2Sr6.png

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:50 am
hinoai
Decorated

I saw the movie for the second time today, and it was a really different experience! Knowing how things turn out, and Howard's real motivations toward Megan, and how he felt about Emmett, made it easy to see why he acted the way that he acted to circumstances. It was quite interesting!

I'm also a LOT more interested in the alien invasion now. It sounded in the radio broadcasts like the humans were turning the tide in their favor (taking back the Eastern Seaboard, etc). I would love to see that part of the universe expanded upon somehow!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:32 am
JustThinking
Veteran

There- finally got to film and can come back an read The Thoughts!

Very good-suspenseful- shocking- Goodman great!

My guy came- knew nothing about Cloverfield or this ARG, and he was surprised at the alien ending. He really though it was just Howard being nuts.

Very different for me. I was looking for Slusho, for the puzzle pieces, for the song that would play when 4813 was pushed. I thought from the ARG that Howard was crazy, but from the Cloverfield connection that he could be right.

Also thought the MEW was really good as Michelle, and that yes, she was trying to control her situation from the minute she woke up. The very end where she heads to fight in Houston is a nice ending to her arc. Instead of running away "when things get hard" to the safer Baton Rouge as described on the radio, she heads out to fight.

I was hoping during the ARG there would be some radio transmission we could listen to- did anyone get the station frequency? And we got exact location of Howard's didn't we- was it 45 miles north of Lake Charles? So anyone there might tune in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:13 pm
JustThinking
Veteran

Oh- duh- just realized that this is largely a story of Michelle overcoming the effects on her life of having an abusive father with a hair trigger temper.

Her fiancee was probably much like her father- abused kids end up choosing the same type of guys as adults- and so she runs. The story she tells about not being able to help the little girl is a symbol of how she cannot help herself. She runs away there too.

Then she is stuck in the bunker, with another menacing father figure, and Emmett standing in for the brother who "took the worst of it" for her. This time she gets away too, but not before dumping that tub of acid on Dad. He finally disappears in a satisfying ball of flame.

After that, she is ready to take on bigger monsters, and to fight to save the world.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:29 am
AntaresMHD
Veteran

So, after a month or so of avoiding spoilers (barely, because I still got the gist of what went down in the movie) and anxious waiting, the movie was premiered a week ago in my country, and could see it today. First of all, I might have a different perspective to what I saw in this thread given that everyone else saw it with more or less a fresh head, but given that I already knew there was going to be aliens in it, I gotta say I was still very pleasantly surprised of how it all unfolded.

The whole movie felt very tense to me. I am unsure of how Howard in the movie wasn't the same in the ARG according to what I already read from you guys here, because that guy felt the same to me... He definitely was obsessed with Megan. He kept bringing her up for every little reason, had issues to see Michelle as a full grown woman instead of a "girl" or a "little princess", it was a tad unnerving, and if you read the chat logs at FAPT it's like the same person thinking and acting that way. It's still unclear to me whether Megan is alive or not or if she was the one in the picture, despite Emmett's claim, and it's all because of the second picture. I know I'll theorize about it because there are many clues scattered across about the identity of this girl and if Howard actually killed his Megan's replacement before Emmett showed up.

The stuff from the actual bunker made me smile, lots of references to the ARG, and the 3 pieces missing were the best. I expected some sort of communication through the radio to at least keep some sense of tension though, because as it was it seemed as if they really had nothing better to do than conspire against poor innocent Howard... And play board games. The ending was a little off-base but it worked because it was the perfect way to put into perspective what the psycho who just tried to kill Michelle told her, he was right after all, ironically she was safer inside the bunker than out there fighting off aliens... And speaking of these aliens, the biomech ships reminded me of the Leviathans in Starcraft, being a fan as I am I couldn't help but make the comparisons:

And the worm-like ones were indeed similar to tardigrades, as someone mentioned before. I liked their design even though I couldn't make out much of their actual shape due to the screen being very dark around that part. I think I'll wait until a bluray rip is out to watch it again since cinemas are costly nowadays in my country (won't get much into it right now), but if I could I'd go and see it again soon.

Anyway, I do know most of you must've gone elsewhere haha, but I still wanted to share, I'd say it was worth the wait.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:09 pm
Red Walrus
Unfettered

AntaresMHD wrote:

And the worm-like ones were indeed similar to tardigrades, as someone mentioned before. I liked their design even though I couldn't make out much of their actual shape due to the screen being very dark around that part. I think I'll wait until a bluray rip is out to watch it again since cinemas are costly nowadays in my country (won't get much into it right now), but if I could I'd go and see it again soon.

Thx for your post. I've been on the extremophile connection to the seabed nectar since 2007.

http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21345

It looks like a mutated tardigrade to me and with Howards quote about mutated space worms makes it even more interesting. When the movie first hit I was reading on Reddit how people thought it looked like a Tardigrade and that was pretty exciting for me. Makes me wonder if someone read the speculation from the first ARG and thought that a tardigrade would look cool as a monster.

The larger ship does have StarCraft elements. Looks to me like a mechanical framework around a creature. Can't wait for an in depth design analysis.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:39 am
Page 6 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: